Nunu vs. Pungo 120

Hi all,
I’m looking into get a rec kayak that I’ll be happy with for a long time, using for day trips only. I’ll mostly be going out with my kid who is currently only 6 and will in a sit on top initially. I’m 6’, 175lbs, and want a decent-sized opening.
I’m trying to buy used and am between a Clearwater Nunu and a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!

There is nothing similar between these two boats related to size, quality, capacity, performance, cost, etc. Why these two?

Thanks for your response! That’s the sort of info I’m looking for. Both are available to me locally, both are within budget at used prices, and I dont know enough about kayaks and how to compare them despite reading reviews to try to sort it out. And for just rec use, will the Nunu be enough to be happy with it long-term, or would it be better to spend a few hundred more? So from your post, I’m guessing the Pongo is a much higher quality boat?
Thanks again!

The pungo is considered by many to be a good to excellent rec kayak. Clearwater boats are lacking in many areas. Read the reviews on this site.

I have 2 Pungos, a120 and a 140. For a rec boat, they are seaworthy and quick. Seaworthy not implying salt water.
For your size, consider the 140. I weigh 230 and I think that is too heavy for the 120.
Forget those cheap plastic box store boats.

Thank you for those tips! I have read the reviews on this site, and everyone seems to love both boats. Would you mind telling me what’s lacking in the Clearwaters? I don’t know what I’m looking at. Is it the material they’re made of?
Thanks again!

There are two kayak companies with similar names. Clearwater sold in Marshalls,TJ Max is a pos. Not familiar with CD.

Oh, ok. Thanks again for your input!

Pungos have sealed compartments with hatches that provide flotation if you swamp.
The plastic WS uses is really tough. I suspect the Clearwater boats have neither. Don’t know though.

I would never base buying an entry level kayak on the reviews, even on p.com. The problem is that EVERYBODY thinks their first kayak is a “10 out of 10” because kayaking is basically fun and most beginners have not a clue on the comparative merits of different kayaks. It’s like a person who has been barefoot all their life and somebody gives them a pair of plastic flip-flops 3 sizes too big: “Best shoes in the world, 10 out of 10!”

Clearwater is a Canadian company that makes lawn furniture as well as plastic kayaks with rather clunky designs and cheap fittings. 'Nuff said?

The Wilderness System kayaks, Pungos included, are much better designed and fitted out boats. You will also get a better return on your money if you ever decide to sell a Pungo to move to a different kayak. It would be tough to unload a Clearwater, especially that chubby Nunu.

Thank you so much willowleaf! That’s a very helpful summary. This is exactly what I needed, mostly because the reviews are exactly as you hilariously describe! And string, that’s super helpful as well.
I’ll go for the Pungo/other WS kayak

@willowleaf said:
I would never base buying an entry level kayak on the reviews, even on p.com. The problem is that EVERYBODY thinks their first kayak is a “10 out of 10” because kayaking is basically fun and most beginners have not a clue on the comparative merits of different kayaks. It’s like a person who has been barefoot all their life and somebody gives them a pair of plastic flip-flops 3 sizes too big: “Best shoes in the world, 10 out of 10!”

ditto on what willowleaf said.

But you can learn to read the reviews carefully. If it becomes clear that the reviewer is an experienced kayaker who has owned ‘many’ kayaks, the review can be taken more seriously. Still caution is advised.

Yes, that’s why I qualified my comment with “entry level kayak”. I’ve found reviews of more advanced kayaks very useful on p.com. As you (rsevenic) explain, reviewers who can clearly compare the characteristics of the model they are describing with those of other models they have owned or used and who can be specific about features, fit and performance provide really useful information.