Recommendations for Booney Type Hats?

Looking for lightweight small brim booney type hats for everyday wear. I have Paddling hats but want a couple for walking around.
Cheap and light is good…

Get yourself a Panama. You are certainly near a bunch of them.

@string said:
Get yourself a Panama. You are certainly near a bunch of them.

Just want something I can roll up and stuff in my pocket…

Though I love my Goretex OR Sombreros for paddling, I have a couple of the cheap Columbia booneys for what you describe. One stays stuffed in my day pack and the other in the car glove box or hanging by the front door.

Looking on line I guess the ones I have are closest to the model they call “Bora Bora” but mine don’t have the mesh insert (might be the discontinued “Arcadia” style). Flatter top and narrower brim than the Sombreros, plain nylon rather than Goretex and light enough to cram in a jacket pocket. We have a local off-price store that often has assorted Columbia hats for $5 to $10 which is where I got mine. The Columbia “outlet stores” that are in many of those “outlet malls” along the interstates are also a fair source for cheap assorted Columbia headwear.

https://www.columbia.com/bora-bora-ii-booney-CU9107.html?dwvar_CU9107_variationColor=028#q=hat&start=0

Thanks, I’ve never been into hats or caps although I’ve learned to like visors.
Living in the south my dermatologist is now profiting off my aversion to headwear.
Seems around here almost every store has a selection of hats for the tourists.
I now want a couple for walking around that won’t be a pain in the car…
Looks like some boonies will do fine.

I went to army/navy store bought a Propper (name of hat) booney hat. It’s light and folds up and goes in my pocket if need to. Good things is I was able to get the size that fits. Paid $12.00 for it. Also Wal-mart sells a no see em bug net that sells for $1.75 and it fits over the hat to keep the bugs off your face.

Columbia makes a line of Boonie style hats. I haven’t seen them personally but online they look good and aren’t terribly expensive.

@grayhawk said:
Looking for lightweight small brim booney type hats for everyday wear. I have Paddling hats but want a couple for walking around.
Cheap and light is good…

Are you looking for a “bucket hat”? They have a shorter brim than a “boonie”, and are very compact. I have a cotton bucket hat that I got from my public radio station. It is now my standard canoe hat. I have always preferred bucket hats over boonies for hunting, birding, etc.

Did someone say Tilley?

Someone did say cheap.

Learning more than I wanted to know about hats.
I found a couple floppy sniper type “boonies” that work well in the car and a little more structured hat that looks a little more dress. Sort of a cross between a boonie and a fedora.
I have a Tilley that is a PITA when not in the boat.

You may want to look at a brand called Dorfman Pacific Co. I found a beat up one after a flood and I like it a lot. The ventilation works well. I think the brand may be available at JC Penney and similar stores. I may get another since they are inexpensive and have some models with even more ventilation than the one I found.

I have a Land’s End booney that is great. Always looks nice, brim stays flat, lightweight. Machine washable, but I find I get better results hand-washing it. All nylon shell.

Too bad; I just looked and they no longer sell it.

@TomL said:
You may want to look at a brand called Dorfman Pacific Co. I found a beat up one after a flood and I like it a lot. The ventilation works well. I think the brand may be available at JC Penney and similar stores. I may get another since they are inexpensive and have some models with even more ventilation than the one I found.

https://www.villagehatshop.com/brands/103/-1/dorfman-pacific-company.html

I use a narrow brim Panama straw hat with a tropically gay hatband for warm times canoeing, driving my tractor and sauntering along the Champs-Élysées. I could crush it up, which would then allow it to more aesthetically match my aging epidermis.

Wow! so many great hats. This may make a hat lover out of me yet.
Somehow I ended up adding a “Bora Bora II Booney by Columbia” Labor Day sale and great reviews.

https://www.columbia.com/bora-bora-ii-booney-CU9107.html?cgid=labor-day&dwvar_CU9107_variationColor=028#prefn1=genderGroup&prefn2=productClass&prefv1=Men’s&prefv2=Accessories|Pack+Accessories&start=0

Great name and it helps pass the time while waiting to see what Dorian will do. Seems like all of Florida is frozen in place just waiting and gathering some supplies while deciding what to do.
This is not going to end well for some…

Old men need lots of hats.

@grayhawk said:

Great name and it helps pass the time while waiting to see what Dorian will do. Seems like all of Florida is frozen in place just waiting and gathering some supplies while deciding what to do.
This is not going to end well for some…

Let’s hope it weakens. Stay safe.

Late to the party, but the only boonie I have is a GoreTex boonie by Cabela’s. Very waterproof. Hunter orange. My wife refers to it as “that thing”. LOL. No idea what it cost, it was a gift. I do like it very much on a rainy day.

I was bummed today when I returned to the lake I paddled two weekends ago where I accidentally left my grey Columbia “booney” hanging on a fencepost at the take out after loading the Ladybug canoe. Usually people who find such things there turn them into the lost and found at the little park station and snack hut about 50 feet away. I left them a message when I got home that evening to put my name on it if it was turned in. Checked with them today when we headed up there to paddle again and it never showed up. Somebody snagged a nice little hat and I will miss it.