Need advice on roof rack for car with FLUSH side rails

New car, Mazda CX-5 with FLUSH side rails on roof…need a roof rack for it (on which to carry my kayaks). My previous rack is a Yakima, and I see Yakima makes Ridgeline towers, but they have mixed reviews (some of which are frighteningly bad…like rack flying off on highway). Would love to hear from someone who has a car with flush side rails and a rack system they are happy with. Thanks in advance!

I have a 2017 CX-5 with the flush roof rails. I purchased the Yakima system more than a year ago. The clips that attach to the Ridgeline towers are a pain to install and remove. There are two clips for each tower. After setting the rack on the roof rails, the clip with the “nipple” goes on the back side into one of the car rack holes and slides into the tower. a second clip slides into the outside of the tower and grabs the outside lip of the car rack. The clips can’t stay attached to the tower, because they will fall out. Usually they fall out when I’m trying to manipulate them to attach the rack. When the outside clips fall out and down they will often hit the chrome metal strips at the bottom of the window and put a dimple in them. I have finally learned to press a towel between me and the strips as a cushion, but too late. I haven’t had any problems with the rack once secured (with 3 clicks of the ratchet screwdriver for the correct torque) but I haven’t had more than 100 pounds on the rack at one time. These newer vehicles are getting to be a challenge to fit with roof racks! I also bought a “goal post” rear rack that attaches to the receiver hitch to get more spread on the racks. Even with the long length of the roof rails there are fixed points to attach the rack, so there is no adjustment for spread. Sometimes I just use the trailer.
Steve

Thule Rapid Podium Foot Pack with the appropriate Fit Kit. I’ve installed them on lots of Audi and BMW models for several years now as some mfg. are into the flush look now. Specs say your good to 165lb. load capacity. Go see your local Thule dealer/installer. Bring them lunch. That’s my usual fee to install.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Getting the right clips is everything.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Marshall, would my Yakima round bars work with the Thule towers?

I have a Thule rack on the factory bars of my 2015 Mazda CX5. Don’t know the part numbers because I bought the rack from a guy who was turning in his leased CX5, but the clips are the ones that Thule recommends for the model and they fit the flat “flush” bars snugly:

Can you tell I’m frustrated with the Yakima? One reason I chose the Yakima system is because the Jet Stream Bars were available in a 70" length. The longest Thule Wing Bars were 60". The Thule system looks more secure. Are the Thule racks easy to install and remove each time I want to paddle?

Loon, the answer is no. Yakima bars become garden stakes.

Sailwings - Thule bars >60” are the ProBars. 2019 is a transition year for all the new product.

See you on the water,
Marshall
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

LoonLuvr,
Congratulations on the new CX-5 by the way!
After the first Central New York winter I noticed the inside of roof rack mounting holes on the roof rails were starting to rust.I put a dab of synthetic grease in the holes, and that seemed to solve the problem…

Thanks for all the great advice, again! I’m a little freaked out because I also live in CNY and spend alot of time in the MHV lol…is there some hidden GPS coordinates in my post? Sailwings, great advice on the grease! Marshall, you may just see me pop into your store very soon!

Give me the heads up so as to make sure that I have the Fit Kit on hand. Let me know the direction you’re coming to Hyde Park and I’ll provide some lunch take out suggestions for installation fee. :slight_smile:

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

Big thanks to Marshall for hooking me up with a Thule setup and installing! Enjoyed his (canine) customer care team very much!

Glad to have been of help and found a home for some consignment roof rack components that needed adoption.

Time to go paddle the 'Dacks!

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

Looks good. You’ll be using a bow tie-down, right?

Took this picture part way through the loading of the car…wasn’t nearly done (didn’t leave til next morning). Drove alot of hours (in the ADKs!) with the boat on…happy with my new Thule rack! Thanks, again, Marshall!

I’ll keep my eyes open for the Mazda CX-Canary when on the Northway.

:smile:

See you on the water,
Marshall
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile

I like those wheels. I’ll be looking for the CX-Canary in a parking lot at night!