Buying Kayaks for me and wife

My wife and I went kayaking for the first time up in Maine on the ocean in two solo boats that were about 17’. What a blast. I didn’t know how easily a kayak can move thru the water. Needless to say we both want one now. Have been doing some research and think that we need something around 13-14 feet because we would like to have a boat that can do coastal ocean as well as lakes and some slow moving rivers.

I have been considering the Perception Carolina 14, the Old Town Castine 135 and the Jackson Journey 14. These are all about 975- 1050. The reviews are pretty good for all of them except the Journey seems to have leaky hatches. Can anyone confirm that the current model has leaking hatches?

Also, I’m 5’10" 170 pounds and my wife is 5’6" 120. Can we be in the same size boat or does my wife need something smaller?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Your wife needs something for a smaller person in terms of getting to its waterline and probably a bit narrower. .

Is there someplace around you where you could get a lesson or two in basics and how to handle a capsize, preferably before you bu?. The water is still warm so it is a good time to do that. Outfitters will be selling off their boats fairly soon for reduced prices. You will both be happier long term if you know the basics of how the boats should fit before you make that commitment. Especially if you plan to paddle together, it matters that the smaller person is not trying to move more volume than is a good fit for them.

FWIW, all plastic boats can develop leaky hatches. Some leak more than others. A lot of bit oval hatches on fiberglass boats also tend to have small leaks, like on my Vela. Leaks happen. So your stuff should always be in dry bags. As long as it isn’t gushing in there and the hatch stays on in a rescue (WS at one point had hatches that failed that part - they fixed it) it is fine.

At only 120 lbs your wife definitely needs a smaller boat. My husband and I purchased a used Wilderness Systems Tsunami 145 when we first started kayaking and didn’t know much of anything about kayaks. It was so big on me that using it was difficult, and when I eventually got a smaller boat it was a million times better.

I agree with Celia lessons would be a great idea. And they’re fun.

But if you really want to buy boats now definitely go used. That way you can get something to start off with, and re-sell later if (or more likely when) you decide it’s not quite right for you. It’s a good time to buy and if you get a good deal you should probably be able to re-sell it for what you paid. Also you might get a package deal with paddles and PFDs, which themselves can be quite pricey.

PS smaller for your wife in this case equals lower volume, not necessarily shorter.

@Celia said:

FWIW, all plastic boats can develop leaky hatches. Some leak more than others. A lot of bit oval hatches on fiberglass boats also tend to have small leaks, like on my Vela. Leaks happen. So your stuff should always be in dry bags. As long as it isn’t gushing in there and the hatch stays on in a rescue (WS at one point had hatches that failed that part - they fixed it) it is fine.

I disagree.
Over the years we have had a Perception Plastic Eclipse, a Perception plastic Shadow, and four different models of composite QCC’s and a composite Epic 18. They all have oval hatches and none has every leaked a drop.
We received a composite QCC where it was obvious the hatch didn’t fit well and before it ever went in the water it was returned for one that was perfect
During self and assisted rescue practice as well as being in lots of rough seas, they all have had plenty of water over them.
They all have oval hatches

@JackL said:
Over the years we have had a Perception Plastic Eclipse, a Perception plastic Shadow, and four different models of composite QCC’s and a composite Epic 18. They all have oval hatches and none has every leaked a drop.
We received a composite QCC where it was obvious the hatch didn’t fit well and before it ever went in the water it was returned for one that was perfect
During self and assisted rescue practice as well as being in lots of rough seas, they all have had plenty of water over them.
They all have oval hatches

How much rolling? That’s when some of mine leak.

Visit local shops, rent/try out or test paddle multiple boats and see what you like. In the end buying used gets you a good discount and most used boats will be able to be sold (or traded in) for close to what you paid for them as long as the condition is not materially worse so if/when you want to upgrade you don’t lose money.

Jackson makes a Journey 13.5, which likely would fit your wife. My 110 pound girlfriend likes that boat for size. You could go ether way. I use the Journeys fairly often when I am leading tours for one company I work for. At 6’ and 215 pounds, the 13.5 makes my legs fall asleep, but the 14 fits me nicely. The gas pedal type rudders are a nice feature, over the sliding foot rudder pedals most use for rudders.

The Jacksons hatches do leak some, but won’t flood. Truthfully, in any kayak anything in hatches that needs to be kept dry needs to be kept in dry bags or dry boxes or the like. All hatches have a tendency to leak some (just Jackson a little more). This mostly shows up when the hatches are submerged, from wet exits or rolls, so not so much in daily use on flat water.

I don’t know the other 2 boats you mentioned well enough to have input.

If you loved paddling 17’ sea kayaks, I think you might as well buy something closer to that length than 13’ or 14’. You’d probably end up wanting 16’ or 17’ boats soon anyway.

The Castine is a rec kayak, a nice one with two sealed bulkheads and hatch covers. But after using the sea kayaks, it is going to feel too wide and slower. That was my first kayak, and I sold it about a year later to buy a 16.5” sea kayak instead.

Yes, your wife should get a narrower kayak than you. She is both shorter and 50 lbs lighter!

My two cents: I’ve shrunk down to 5’8" and blown up to about 170 pounds and I paddle a WS Tempest 165 and a Dagger Alchemy S (14 ft). I think of my Tempest as my faster, fair weather, long distance boat. The Alchemy shines in wind and waves but on calm water it’s a bit slow. If you move the seats back in your (smaller) boats you two might be fine sharing. I like the fit and handling of lower volume boats and have moved the seats back in mine to make them easy to get in and out of.

My round, forward hatch covers do a good job of keeping water out. The oval hatch on my Alchemy leaks like a screen door. Anything stored there that I want to stay dry goes in a dry bag. I still like the boat a lot.

For the amount of money you’re thinking of spending, around $1000, depending on your location you could likely get a very nice used boat probably also with paddle etc. Buying used will allow you a significant step up, should you desire, in boat quality for the money; or, alternatively, allow you to spend less on recreational boats, and have money left over for lessons.

@JackL
Same question as above. My/our experience with a bit of leaking in the hatches is not usually from getting water over them paddling. The Romany day hatch a little but that isn’t the hatch cover, the goop around the rim needs a refresher. It is when I do concentrated wet work, like rolling or sculling. Or when rescue practice is a full session, say and hour of the boat being mostly not upright.

The WS problem happened when they first went from someone else’s hatch covers, I think Kayak Sport, to making their own. That was a long while ago and they fixed it. I am thinking 2008 about? But after only of legions of coaches and students in symposiums, including ones I attended, watched the rear hatch get blown thru on a regular basis when someone was crawling the deck for a cowboy or similar. Any move where a knee or an elbow could potentially land over the hatch cover.

Location?

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

I’m located in metro west MA.

Tsunami 140 Boston CL ad asking $500 with some accessories. Might work for you (too big for your wife.)

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/boa/d/newton-highlands-wilderness-tsunami-sea/6961883770.html

This may well not be the right boat for you, but just to give you an example of what’s available and the money you might save buying used. That boat retails around $1200, IIRC. Plus paddle.

Or here’s an Eddyline Samba with a very good paddle for $1000. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if you could get it for less. Might fit your wife. Look around, it can be fun.

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/spo/d/pittsfield-kayak-eddyline-samba13/6933250153.html

You are, I think, in a rational driving range for a day trip to Marshall in New Hyde Park. Suggest you set up a time with him for you and your wife to visit.

@BobDoh said:
I’m located in metro west MA.

I suggest that you visit Charles River Canoe & Kayak. You can try out a variety of kayaks and shop their used/clearance sale!

https://paddleboston.com/

@Rex said:
My two cents: I’ve shrunk down to 5’8" and blown up to about 170 pounds and I paddle a WS Tempest 165 and a Dagger Alchemy S (14 ft). I think of my Tempest as my faster, fair weather, long distance boat. The Alchemy shines in wind and waves but on calm water it’s a bit slow. If you move the seats back in your (smaller) boats you two might be fine sharing. I like the fit and handling of lower volume boats and have moved the seats back in mine to make them easy to get in and out of.

My round, forward hatch covers do a good job of keeping water out. The oval hatch on my Alchemy leaks like a screen door. Anything stored there that I want to stay dry goes in a dry bag. I still like the boat a lot.

I noticed your skull was looking a bit gaunt.

A bit of a drive but VT is pretty

https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d/burlington-venture-easky-15-kayak/6955513447.html