Unidentified Canoe

Hello Everyone!

New to the Forum today!

I purchased my first Canoe a few years ago from a private sale. Overall it was in decent shape, I’ve used it a few times each year since I’ve owned it. I’m looking at doing some repairs to it currently. Soooooo my big question here is; do I need to match Resin/gelcoat with my repairs to the original Resin/Gelcoat. all the Articles and other resources Ive come across only mention using “waterproof” resins and not a regular automotive “bondo” type of applications. (Makes sense). HOWEVER…A recent conversation I have had with a fellow outdoor enthusiast has me questioning my direction of approach to the materials I was going to purchase. He mentioned that I need to match these Resins/Gelcoat or they wont bond properly… he didn’t expand on his explanation and this has me second guessing.

I’m hoping someone here has some helpful input on this dilemma I am having.

I do not have the Year/make/model. The name plate has come off or has been removed before I acquired it.

Description:

• 13’-3" length
  • 35"wide
  • depth of 12"
  • 53lbs
  • Fiberglass
  • green gelcoat
  • wooden slatted seats
  • aluminum front and rear deck
  • aluminum Gunwales
  • one single center Thwart
  • triple keeled

Very Canoedled
Charles
Northern NB, CA

On what you are showing, I would use fiberglass wetted out with with West Systems G-Flex epoxy on the holes. While it is still wet, tape a piece of stiff clear plastic film over it, (similar to a note book page protector) next day it will peel right off and you have a smooth finish.
If there are no holes, just use the straight G-flex and cover it with the same.
You might need several coats if the depressions are deep.
Then I would sand the entire boat and spray paint it with a good grade automotive paint.

You might want to give West Systems a call and talk with one of their reps. They are fantastic and very knowledgable and will walk you through the whole process. Ask them for a copy of their “how to” manual. It is free