Paddling shoes/boots

One would think this would be an easy thing to find, but I’m struggling, so I turn to the collective. Looking for kayak paddling shoes/boots. I’m a sea kayaker, so my feet are in the water, often up to my calves, during put in/take out. Here are the requirements:

1. Not looking for warmth. These are for summer paddling.
  2. A sole that’s thick enough to walk on rocks/stones without hurting.
  3. A high or tight enough design that sand/pebbles don’t get in if I slip off those rocks.
  4. They must DRAIN with my foot in a normal paddling position. I have a pair of NRS paddling booties which fulfill 2 & 3 fine, but they hold water, and after several hours with my feet stewing in boots filled with sometimes not-so-clean water, I end up with a raging case of athlete’s foot. It only happens with these booties. I’ve got a couple shoes that drain, but only around the toe area, so if your foot’s on the footpeg, they hold water.

Discuss

1 Like

Watching with interest. I too have been looking for better footwear.

Just a thought on draining, have you considered adding your own drain holes? I know it’s hard to “mangle” gear you’ve paid a lot of money for, but I’ve become more comfortable with this over the years and small alterations can make many products much more useful.

Keen Newport?

I paddle in hot weather, usually from a beach of broken oyster shells, and I find these to be the most comfortable I’ve tried. Neoprene “scuba” booties keep the junk out better but don’t drain at all. “High and tight” and “drain well” are tough to accomplish at the same time!

Astral Brewers with a pair of ankle high running socks (or equivalent).

Dry while on your feet, hold no water, stylish enough to wear terrestrially, Spiderman like grip soles on wet surfaces, don’t stink.

https://www.the-river-connection.us/collections/watershoes-dry-socks

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

@Sparky961 said:
Watching with interest. I too have been looking for better footwear.

Just a thought on draining, have you considered adding your own drain holes? I know it’s hard to “mangle” gear you’ve paid a lot of money for, but I’ve become more comfortable with this over the years and small alterations can make many products much more useful.

I have, actually, and that’s where I’ll go if I can’t find something off the shelf. I expect a hot awl shoved through the heel of my neoprene boots would melt a reasonably clean hole through. Thanks.

@kfbrady said:
Keen Newport?

I paddle in hot weather, usually from a beach of broken oyster shells, and I find these to be the most comfortable I’ve tried. Neoprene “scuba” booties keep the junk out better but don’t drain at all. “High and tight” and “drain well” are tough to accomplish at the same time!

I’ve tried sandals and I always seem to get that one tiny pebble right under the ball of my foot, then I spend the next hours whacking my foot against the inside of the boat trying to dislodge it.

I bored holes in mine with a drill.

Astrals. Supportive sticky soles, have draining points including one at the heel, and dry quickly.

I use my Keen sandals only after paddling. Sand and pebbles quickly enter the shoes when standing in the water.

I use cheapy water socks most of the time. Some don’t last long, but I bought 2 pairs of these from CostCo a few years ago and only now am looking to replace them: https://amzn.to/2Q4l8Zn

Which Astral do you use, Rookie? The Porter offers actual heel drains, which I find highly appealing. The other models seem to only drain from the drain holes near the instep, which would seem to indicate that the heel would hold water in a paddling position.

Okay, I found this video explaining the differences. This seems to say that both models have the heel slits, which would be very cool. And obviously, having “Spiderman-like grip” would be a bonus. :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrIW8cIxBas

also, see:
‘Paddling/portaging shoes’
https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/comment/2974582/

best for me:
2 pairs:
one pair for ONLY in kayak - comfortable on feet, heels

• Mion Ebb Tide (no longer available - I think Keen sells something similar)
    one pair for getting to/from water - sand, shells, oyster bed, rocks, 1/4 mile walk to water
  • currently: Sperry Maritime H20 Bungee

I have yet to find a suitable summer paddling shoe. Cool fall weather will allow me to start wearing my dry-pants with neoprene booties. The booties work great at keeping out the gravel at launch sites. However wearing them directly over the skin results in the ‘stink’ in the summer. This is not a problem using them with the dry-pants.

I have a couple pairs of low cut mesh shoes that I can wear with no liners, and the odor problem is not an issue. I don’t paddle that often so they have plenty of time to dry out. But no matter how I try, gravel gets in. It seems like the gravel gets in over the top of the shoe and not through the mesh. Sandals also have a gravel problem for me.

Could there be an over the ankle shoe available that is lightweight neoprene, be somewhat loose fitting, zipper up the side ( I don’t see myself struggling to get into any type of stretch fit that comes over the ankle), reasonable grippy sole, with a fine drain mesh running around most of the base of the shoe for good draining and better breathing? These shoes would not be intended to create warmth like traditional booties. I don’t see a product like this in the marketplace.

The comments on creating drain holes in traditional booties is what got me thinking.

i read somewhere people were using Crocs so i got a pair and although i’ve only used them once they were easy to kick off once i was in the canoe cause they are a clog style - i stuck my feet overboard and rinsed them, then rinsed out the shoes (they float) and i was good to go. also once the crocs were off i just paddled in my bare feet until i was ready to get out then just slipped on the crocs.

I’ve met more than a few very seasoned instructors who wear old, beat up Crocs!

The biggest issue with Crocs is that they’re internally slippery when wet. Step on a submerged round rock about the size of a baseball and your foot will slip sideways in the Croc, with the shoe ending up at 90 degrees or even more rotation on your foot. Then you fall sideways, but when you try to move your foot to save yourself, the Croc THEN ends up acting as a water anchor.

Don’t ask me how I know…

pbenter’s statement above is where I’m at. I’d love to see someone create an over-the-ankle shoe that’s light enough not to be ridiculously hot in the summer, but with mesh panels in strategic places for water to drain without letting sand in.

Lacking that, I purchased a pair of the Astral Brewers. The only thing they don’t offer is the ability to keep sand/pebbles from entering around the ankle opening.

@David R said:
Which Astral do you use, Rookie? The Porter offers actual heel drains, which I find highly appealing. The other models seem to only drain from the drain holes near the instep, which would seem to indicate that the heel would hold water in a paddling position.

The Brewess. Liked it so much got another pair two sizes up so I could use them with my drysuit. Shoe has six drain holes around the front, sides of the shoe and two drain slits at the heel. Porter looks like the same drainage setup.

Mine are about four years old and I wear a mini sock. The new model apparently has a built in sock liner. Tempting, but no need to replace what works great.

The Brewess? Is that the girl version of the Brewer?

OMFG…it IS!! I thought that was a typo and I was being all clever! :smiley:

Okay I have given this a little more thought since I posted I couple hours ago wondering about a new type of shoe. One of the water shoes I like the best is the Stohlquist Bodhi low cut. It works well except for the gravel over the top problem. Maybe what I need are set of trail gaiters to wear over the Bohdis.

Not cheap, but these look like they might work well. They could be open or off when paddling. For me, I am in an open inflatable kayak.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/trail-gaiters-low.html#1191=9928

My experience with Keens is that they take a long time to dry. They also tend to make big feet seem even larger which is an issue with tight fitting kayaks. Love my Keens for land use though.

@David R said:
The Brewess? Is that the girl version of the Brewer?

OMFG…it IS!! I thought that was a typo and I was being all clever! :smiley:

:smiley: