How fast do you cruise?

Yep!
=)

jim

I don’t have a GPS but by distance
covered, I’d say 4-4.5 MPH.

I calculated
my distance of a trip on google earth- 6 miles. I did it in just over 2 hrs with a break in the middle. Not counting the break, it was 2 hours or maybe slighty less. And 6/2=3 miles in one hour- 3mph with my dad.

My cruising speed is 4-4.5 mph without my dad, but I slow down for him because he likes to take it easy. Hes almost 50, and getting old.

Almost 50!
The poor guy. Has he thought about any “final arrangements” yet?

Maybe Dad is slowing down for you?
Have you asked him? You are probably both slowing down for each other!

It seems the fastest paddlers in our club are the Dad paddlers because they have the best technique. Technique is more important that boat design. If anyone doubts that, ask yourself if someone like Greg Barton or Oscar Chupulsky could go faster than you in your boat.

If you answer ‘Yes’, then you get the point. If you answer ‘No’, then you are in denial.

Good lord…
“Hope I ddddie before I get old…”

4-5 mph
My gps is set to deactivate when below 1 mph, so it doesn’t calculate rest stops.

There is always a tide one way or the other so the average speed usually around 4.5.

I’m more focused on technique though. Just switched to a hard chined boat the requires constant edging.

Yesterday afternoon I went out in the ocean solo with 4-5 foot waves and swells that were interacting with tide and wind. So I was bracing a lot and just going real slow off shore waiting for the tide to change before coming back through the breakers.

Total trip was 4.0 mph but I’m just happy to make it back in one piece.

according to my GPS
A casual stroke tyhat I can keep upforever…

My 12’ Dirage = 3.5 mph

My 11’ Scrambler= 3 mph

I can sprint up to 8mph but not for long. So I assume between 3-3.5mph.

He says its not his passion-
so hes not so into going fast like me or mastering perfect technique. Its just a nice casual passtime for him, and that is what I treat it as when paddling with him too.

How fast do I cruise?
So far a lot faster than any geeks who obsess about cruising speed or hull design / speed! That is a fact… So much so that I will no longer paddle with anybody who brings this subject up because I know they will NOT keep up.

I’l paddle with anyone who doesn’t care…

Safe paddling all

I Don’t Rightly Know
Don’t have a GPS or a speedometer on my kayak. I usta stay out in front of the pack but found I could do loops or work on skills and stick with the herd. Besides, my girlfriend paddles like she is in molasses and if I leave her behind, no fun stuff for me later.

My whole life is fast and the reason I kayak is to slow down and unwind from the BS of the workweek.

That said, fast is still good

not too fast lately

– Last Updated: Mar-20-09 6:32 AM EST –

wicked out of shape. Speed has not been a priority at all. It's been a lot of effort just to want to paddle. Just getting outside and on the water has been the goal. Paddling less than 10 miles at a time once a month since the end of November until about two weeks ago when the ice started to go away. Last weekend I did a ten mile, round trip, upriver and back and it took me 2 hours to paddle up (5 miles) and 45 minutes to paddle back with time to take pictures and enjoy a smoke. (OK...maybe two smoke breaks) That felt great and at no time was I working hard at all wearing a drysuit to inhibit any further exertion. Typical effortless cruising speed for me in that boat this time of year.

Mariner Express Sea Cruiser
bad fat laden posture. lowish angle Werner Camano

omf it's spring today! Can you believe it! Made it through another winter.

cruise at…
Average Cruising speed (flatwater, no current, no waves)

5.5 mph

qcc 700

epic mid-wing

William Reitzer-Smith

WilliamRS that is interesting, I am
looking at the purchase of a QCC700. Last weekend I averaged 4.8 mph in my Nordkapp over a measured mile in no wind/current/waves anything. I consider this an athletic pace that I could do for 2-5 miles. The Kapp cruises with half strokes at ease in the 4.2 mph range in the same conditions. I am looking for a fast gear hauler with decent sea manners and have looked at the Viviane and the QCC700 as possible options. My speeds are with a homemade GP. How much faster is the QCC700 than other boats you have owned? How much faster is the wing paddle than other paddles you have owned? Thanks for any help/enlightenment. Bill

Cruising to me means easy effort
which can be sustained indefinitely. In that case, almost every boat I have, I consistently turn in 3.2 mph at end of day. GPS set to stop logging below 1MPH. Same number no matter if I take the 9 footers, fat and flat, to the 17 footers, sleek and light.

GP vs. wing

– Last Updated: Mar-20-09 1:16 PM EST –

So far, especially in my slower boats, I have seen virtually no difference after 10 miles at a brisk pace in the average speed wheather I use the Epic mid-wing or a GP. With a GP I'm usually a little less tired and diferent muscles are used too. Theoretically, the wing should be more efficient in the water but also uses more energy from the paddler to keep it in the correct posigion to be efficient is my gut feel so at the end they probably average out. For flat out speed, the wing is better though.

Sorry, do not know about the QCC speed over a long distance but it is known as one of the faster boats out there if you have enough power to keep it up at speed (some shorter "slower" boats may be easier to paddle at a little slower speed for a longer period of time though).

I’m not a fast cruiser
I’m a half-fast cruiser!

2nd that
I occasionally paddle with teenagers and while they are all fairly athletic, they sometimes have a hard time keeping up with those who are “almost 50 and getting old.” Endurance and keeping a steady pace over longer distances is about technique, efficiency, experience; all which they are still developing. Look up Cliff Young, ultramarathon runner.

info requested…

– Last Updated: Mar-20-09 5:03 PM EST –

moparharn,

Right now my qcc700 is in a dead heat with my Prijon Kodiak. Neither have moved an inch all day so I guess they are really slow hulls...LOL

Joking aside,I haven't really compared cruising between the two boats...back in 2005 I did a 11.8 mile race in just a minute or two under 2 hours (up and back on a slow river)in the q700.[trinity river race] The prior year I did the same race in the Kodiak in 2:11 {a week after finishing a 100 mile race in 17:08 hours}

In the Q700 I can hold the 5.5 mph for (at least) 5 hours...which comes to about 26 miles. I can ease up and hold just above 5 mph all day. 6mph for two hours.

Sprinting--After about 6.3mph the Kodiak starts to hit a wall, but in the qcc I'm the one that hits a wall at about 7.4mph. needs a better engine.

I think I could gain just a bit more mph if I lost about 80lbs (currently weigh 280)as that would decrease my draft by almost an inch in the q700

What is a "half-stroke"?

4mph

– Last Updated: Mar-20-09 4:59 PM EST –

Discounting nature breaks and stopping for lunch--last weekend my wife and I paddled 26 miles on a lake at her all day pace of 4 mph. She paddles a Prijon Kodiak. Her 26.2 mile RACE pace is 4.8 mph.

Bill

{keep in mind we paddle a lot of miles and are pretty efficient wiht our forward strokes}