Stand up paddling update

I’ve been on a few boards, rode some waves, went offshore, up creeks, across bays, fishing, etc.

It’s major fun – great view. But I’m not overly impressed with the boards. They’re like surf boards – designed for planing.

Then I took out my 16-foot wood strip Bob Special with an 84-inch paddle. Man, it was sweet. Great view, and I can really make the boat cook with that paddle.

It adds a whole new aspect to my paddling. I found it much, much easier/faster than Canadian style or kneeling. Actually, you can stand on a chine and whip it around freestyle on a dime.

It’s tough to paddle into a 10 knot breeze, as you can expect. And it’s much more like poling a canoe than using a traditional paddle. If you like poling, try a SUP paddle in your tandem. It’s great.

Back to the boards – I think designers are starting from the wrong point: surf boards. Canoes are much better as a displacement design. I’d guess that the right canoe could beat a similarly sized paddle board in flat conditions with no wind – same paddler, etc.

But overall, it’s a great addition to my quiver. I’d much rather stand up and paddle my canoe than sit in a seat or crunch my kneels while down in the bilge.

I wouldn’t recommend buying a board at this point – unless you’re actually surfing – but I would certainly recommend trying it in your canoe. Maybe in time the boards will catch up and be as smooth/efficient as canoe shapes.

chad19

A lot of the paddleboard activity is
along the east coast, where I guess they find a surfboard-like craft to be better for… surfing.

Who made your 84 inch paddle?

Seems you found the joy of poling
without poling. Its easy to whip a boat around with pole or a paddle standing…

except for those less than 30 inches wide which require some attention.

Did you get yours from Shaw and Tenney?

http://www.shawandtenney.com/stand-up-surf-paddles.html

Havent tried surfing but use a paddle for stand up on Maines strams…a little more traditional.

Definitely some room for innovation
Was thinking along similar lines while in local surf shop yesterday.

Board style makes sense for board use - but as people take these to other venues and find other uses all sorts of things may emerge.

A fishing version with a modified, more displacement type, hybrid hull and requisite deck gizmos should be marketable. We’ll likely see standard types with stuff strapped on (like DIY types already use) offered first.

replies
I’m using a Bending Branches Wave Hound for a paddle. I’ve had a few of their paddles – beavertails, etc. This paddle is of very high quality for Bending Branches. It’s a bent shaft with a touring/old racing style power face.

Kayakmedic, those shaw and tenney paddle’s look very cool.

And on the innovation end, I there is plenty of room for exploration. And, I can’t image how much faster you’d be in a Wenonah MN II or a Solo Plus.

Also, I took my wife out with me, she in the front with a standard paddle and me in the back with the SUP. It was great. She provided constant power, and I was steering in waves so we could surf.

That leads me to wonder if two capable paddlers couldn’t both stand up in a canoe.

The mind wanders.

Slowly evolving to 'boatier’
http://web.mac.com/s.i.c/http%3A__web.mac.com_s.i.c_iWeb_S.I.C.20stand20up20paddleboards_Sandwich20Island20Composites.html/S.I.C…html

The fastest guys on long boards are keeping up with mid pack OC-1s now.

whoa, awesome!
thats very cool. i hope some designers will jump on this concept for home builders.

How about…
How about the old 1980’s WW plastic (Noah?) kayak I have been using for flat water races? Cockpit is so small it’s hard to get in and out. Any ideas on how I could cut off the top and make a standing platform in place. I paddle my 16ft Blue Hole standing up and my Mohawk XL-13 standing except in big waves. I’m ready for the next level, except for being broke.

Pricey, but sweet

You’re right
I haven’t had the chance to paddle a real open ocean board like a SIC or Bark, etc. I’d guess I’ll eventually add one to the fleet once the shapes advance a little more.

But you can see the canoe influence in the bow of many of those designs. SIC not so much, but Bark’s displacement boards and even Hobie’s racers.

home building
Might want to see if these guys are working on a design:

http://www.grainsurfboards.com/boards/surfboard-kits/

If you wanted an easily driven displacement hull and weren’t concerned about surfing, you could start with something like this;

http://www.newfound.com/liz.htm

I live on the east coast
and I forgot to mention, it’s one hell of a workout.

If it’s an Aeroquatic, don’t cut it up.
It may be worth $300 to somebody. And if you cut the top off, the bottom will be quite floppy.

Aeroquatic?
How would I be able to determine if my old kayak is an aeroquatic? It’s old, off white opaque non colored plastic, 13’ 3" long, and has the serial number HFJD01880581C hand scratched in the right rear beside the hole for carrying handle. The cockpit is real small, but the boat is really fast. It is for sale if someone wants it.

'81 Hollowform?

– Last Updated: Apr-11-09 2:47 PM EST –

http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_detail.aspx?id=HFJ

Some wikipedia history: "1973, Tom Johnson, a racer and trainer from Kernville, California designs and markets the Hollowform: the first roto-molded polyethylene boat. It was mass-produced by a garbage can manufacturing company. These virtually indestructible boats revolutionized the sport, and quickly took off in California. Paddlers no longer had to constantly repair their boats during and after trips. They began to be able to use rocks as part of the strategy of negotiating difficult rapids. Hard runs became more accessible to less-skilled paddlers."

Some historic video ("Dick Wold and co. in Johnson hollowform kayaks (1st plastic) in Idaho back in the day. Wold Waveski off the lips 20 years ago, Burnt Ranch Ca, Stylin 80s rodeo winner...1st public river planing h... "): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MZFHPXQQTA

Are you sure it is plastic rather than
composite? I do not recall Noah ever making a 13 foot polyethelene boat. The only poly boats they made at that time were the 10’ Jeti, and the Aeroquatic which was a similar length.

If you have a Noah, it may be one of the older “classic” composite (“glass”) boats. What is it worth? It’s worth what you can get, but don’t sell it until you’re sure you have no use for it.

I have a very rare Noah Magma, and I thought it might be the only one left in the world, but another guy just posted that he had one in better and more original shape than mine.

That looks like my boat
That looks like my boat. I’ve never tried to surf it. I can barely squeeze out of the cock pit on purpose, I can’t imagine trying to wet exit.I have only used it on down river (class I-II) races. It could use a home with some one who could breathe that kind of life back into it. Any one near VA want to go OLD, OLD school?

I can see how surfing could become
addictive on those short skis. Too bad that I won’t likely get to try one.