Anyone ever paddle in the rain?

Absolutely
Power boaters, touristy paddlers, and most everyone else is gone. Very quiet and serene unless the wind is howling, at which time I may reassess.

always…
it’s rained here for the last 2 summers. isn’t that why they have dry tops , sprayskirts etc… so you can still get out there. i just figure that these individuals are really not into it that’s all. oh well, more wide open space for those of us who are.

We Float In Water
Water carries us in vessel,

from conception into each day,

and flow of sun in all gives color

midst the lillies of Monet

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1178754270054054916NyLUgE

oft we’ll come to our landings

of rock and mud, our earth,

but it is with water from which we came

we fall to bring rebirth

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1178785368054054916PiVXtz

TW

What’s a little rain…
…when you’re geared up for getting wet anyway?

Rain, snow, fog…it’s all good. Wind-driven hail with lightning gets me off the water.

Arizona Monsoons
come from ice! The raindrops hit with a force that can break an umbrellas easily.

Yet, I’ve done it.

Put my poncho on and try tocontrol the boat’s rocking until it’s over and i can warm up and continue on.

Oh, please… take it to Discussion.

g2d, you just bump it back up to the top
when you reply

please, try not to keep it up high

Bump :slight_smile:

once in gear
It’s no issue, even kinda neat the way it changes sound and textures. Plus I am going to be getting wet soon enough anyway. But I do not enjoy dealing with the boat/gear before hand. One day I’ll have a big enough garage…

We love the rain,
and will paddle in the cold.

But the rain AND cold, and I will wimp out. Unless I’m already committed, of course.

Lightning in Florida is a fact of life. We try to get off the water before the afternoon storms hit. Great adrenalin rush when we don’t make it.

BTW, g2d isn’t a Nazi, just someone who follows the lines in the parking lot even when the store is closed, and the lot is empty :wink:

T

I live in WA. Need I say more? :slight_smile:
I will add this: I paddle almost every day. You do the math. :slight_smile:

Melissa

It was raining the day that
Uglyokie proposed to me on the Current River last spring.

I said “yes” and we got married the very next day (Missouri doesn’t have a waiting period).

So yes, “I DO” go paddling in the rain!

Jill

It’s nice . . .
unless there’s lightning.

My uncle was struck by lightning while in a boat. Don’t want to find out the hard way it runs in the family.

rain gear always on board …
… let it rain .

Most beautiful moment
My most beautiful moment paddling occured on a nearby lake in the summer. On the way back to the boat launch we go caught in a rain. All the boats were gone and we were all alone floating on this body of water which was so still and straight and dotted by raindrops that it almost looked like an asphalt parking lot in the rain. Very surreal.

Awful in the winter!
I’d rather paddle in the snow, you stand a better chance of staying warm in a snowstorm.

In the rain you get soaked and at 33 degrees and wet the evaporative cooling from the wind makes you clothing very cold.

Paddling in the rain in the summer is just plain fun. We often get a shower in the hottest part of the day just when we need it.

I love paddling in our FL thunderstorms.
…IF I’m surrounded by tall trees in a creek or narrow river. It lets you know you’re alive by knowing how close you can be to death. Of course I refuse to do it in an aluminum canoe (mine is fiberglass) or use an aluminum pole (mine is wood) when a T-sorm may be a possibility for the day or evening paddle. I’ll take chances but I have no death wish.

I’ve been in rain so heavy I couldn’t bail out the canoe fast enough. Then again at the time I had to use two discarded beer cans due to a child losing my bailer. I was glad the storms were coming in bands. If it were constant we wouldn’t have made it back.

Made our day!
One August day, 4 of us started out on our 19 mile circumnavigation of Fishers Island. It would have been very hot had it not been for the morning fog. About halfway around, you could feel the heat coming on as the fog was burning off. Out of nowhere, the rains came. It rained pretty hard and it felt great! Lasted about an hour. It warmed up quite a bit when the skies finally cleared. Which goes to show that you don’t need the sun to have a beautiful day.

heck yes!
In the summer it’s the best way to avoid the crowds. The only other people out are the diehard fishermen.

In a kayak with a neoprene skirt, drytop, and brimmed rain hat, I can be warm and dry in the rain.

Being on a lake
Watching the rain line coming towards you, then being surrounded by nothing but raindrops, lovely !!

Then again I can remember preparing to paddle after a Thunder Storm had passed & being assured by the local TV channel that the storm centre was now 50 miles away and no more were predicted when suddenly “BANG” a lightning strike onto the lake about 1/2 mile away.