Kayak sailing question-daggerboard

CLC has a skeg kit that is essentially a box that runs from the hull to the deck and a rope skeg system gets controlled with a bungee to the stern and a rope to the cockpit to allow lowering and raising the skeg. Basically it is an envelope that is open all the way through the boat.
So my question is this:

Instead of having a skeg system in this envelope, couldn't you use a daggerboard that would slip down the envelope to under the hull? Essentially you are physically lowering a much longer skeg type blade to help keep you from drifting off track?

I also saw something on the Point Bennett kayak site by Duane Strosaker that shows a skeg on the side of the boat that is controlled by the paddler that slips down or up as it is drilled on either side of the board and it slips up and down the cord as needed.

Just looking at options for this wood boat I am working on.

Paul

on sailing
Daggerboards are for compensating for the sideways movement, skegs are for compensating for turning.

The placement of both are thus different - daggerboards are placed below center of sail plan ( well, technically, center of forces), skegs further away from the center of buoyancy. Keep in mind, the above statements is very simplified.

tricky placement

– Last Updated: Mar-17-10 9:03 AM EST –

I was thinking along the lines of what Suiram was saying. Best case that would put your daggerboard well between your legs.

May consider leeboard(s) as
possibly a more practical option especially since you are building the boat and can incorporate the bracing needed to mount the boards, into the construction. Lots of ideas if you google kayak sailing or the canoe sailing forums. Going to mod my old Dagger Legend for sailing as she’s a bear on flatwater. R

The board on the side
is called a “lee board”. It is very effective, easy to use, easy to repair, and easy to build. The only problem with them is that they’re not considered very good-looking.

The position, fore and aft, of the leeboard can be relatively easily changed also. Much easier than moving a dagger board trunk.

Also, a lee board can be constructed to pivot up, which is much better if you hit a rock. (or the bottom!) Most dagger boards are not made to pivot.

They can be, but not usually.

What wood boat?

Triak
The Triak (sailing kayak) incorporates a pivoting dagger board into the design. Maybe you could get some ideas there - there aren’t too many pictures of the new 2010 design, though. The older design had a dagger board trunk in the cockpit, with foot wells on either side of it like a SOT - looked a little awkward.

String
the Point Bennett

http://www.rollordrown.com

click on stuff

the hull is glassed on the outside and I need to sand and sand it. still lots to do and it is at a stage where I can pretty much make any mods.

Paul