average speed of kayak

I just did 5 miles on the Pawtucket
in SW Rhode Island, with almost no current helping me, in a 15’ whitewater boat, in exactly 2 hours. I was pressing a little at times.

Us whitewater types can easily get unrealistic when paddling with no current. On any moving ww river, 5 miles is nothing, but on that flatwater run (one class 2 through a broken dam), I got kinda whipped.

1 Like

Paddle Speed
Your age, physical condition, type of kayak, weather conditions, (and I’m sure there are other factors) can influence your speed.

For me, under normal conditions, between 2.5 and 5 MPH.

With a shark or alligator behind be, about 116.5 MPH !

2 Likes

speed

– Last Updated: Sep-16-10 3:33 PM EST –

so many thing come into this.

i did get around 6.3mph in a ultimate 14 and a pamlico 135t solo...sher there not suposeto be fast yak..but those were on gps and i was not alone..so true numbers.

but this was for sec ,,kllike a blast and that was it..but a 4 is pretty easy to keep in those two and even on my tarpon 140 and my trident 15.

again tons off stuff is playing in this.

padddler weight
paddler experience
the wind
the paddle you use
the water you are in..current and all.
the physiques off the paddler..heart and all.

but let say its not a huge deference...but one or 2 mph is still alot if you paddle for hours.at the end off the day that still gone to be a few mph less done.in a trip.

but for small few h trip..hey its all good...its not racing its enjoy time on water.

joco.

the most important thing ..is what you like as speed....if its 2mph gor for it if its more hey its the same.

enjoy.

joco

im still slow
at 2.9 mph and when im lazy even slower soon as i fix seat i think ill do beter plus i just use arms some reason i cant get used to usesing body to

start by pretending you’re a cat

– Last Updated: Sep-17-10 3:50 PM EST –

You know how cats do that massage thing with their front paws... Every stroke, just give a little massage push on the foot pedal of the stroke side. After some while, your torso will want to get in on the rhythm. Then you'll find yourself pushing a bit harder with your feet, and doing more work with you torso. If you have a GPS running, you'll see an uptick in speed.

Whenever you notice you're not doing it, start with the cat massage. At some point it should become automatic.

Wow!
5,6,7mph in rec boats! Some of you guys must be world class paddlers to get that kind of speed from a rec. boat. Ragz, do not believe half of what is written in this post. To paddle faster you need to increase your cadence plain and simple. However not at the expense of technique. To paddle faster you dont paddle harder your cadence gets faster. Surprised some of these pros didn`t tell you that.

1 Like

yep gps here
glad i bought this thing when it was on sale comes in handy for hikeing and kayaking im glad i got a yak with them feet rest

my goal is 3.5
i figure ill keep that goal but some day im for sure going to get a faster yak and one with dry storage

Zero
"Unless it’s in a pretty good wind. Add in the speed that a person can paddle and it tends to get faster… :slight_smile:

Absolutely spot on Celia, well said :slight_smile:

It really depends on the color
The red ones are fast.

jim :slight_smile:

1 Like

Speed
I just did a 7.8 mile loop around a lake in my Placid Boat Works Spitfire 12 and averaged 3.6mph according to my Garmin GPS.

About 3 knots

– Last Updated: Sep-27-10 5:48 PM EST –

3.6 mph equals about 3 knots which is the most often cited figure I've encountered as average (or normal) cruising speed for a sea kayak. However, for a solo canoe it sounds fast... but then again I can't paddle a canoe straight at any speed ;-)

Celia's response of 'Zero' is my fav on this thread, as a kayak has no inherent speed....

Close to zero
When you average out 70+ miles per hours on the roads, 3 mph on the water for trips, and then all the time they are stored in the garage, it’s slightly above zero, but practically zero. The more you drive it around and paddle, the higher the average.

Based on the last month, my kayak went about 200 miles on the roads, 8.5 miles on the river, so 208.5 miles in 720 hours is about .29 miles per hour.

jim

1 Like

Flames

– Last Updated: Sep-27-10 7:02 PM EST –

I read somewhere that painting flames on the hull will help increase the speed. I think I will give that a try.

1 Like

Finally got some rain last night
my Explorer filled up in less than 12 hours - drought is not over but it is a start

avaerage speed
i am sure the question was a serious one.

If you crossed a lake that is 2 NM accross in 2 hours back and forth then you did 4nm in those 2 hours. Or 2 knots. and i am thinking for navigational purposes that maybe a good number.

average speed of kayak
So is mine :slight_smile: www.orukayak.com

5mph

– Last Updated: Oct-03-16 10:41 PM EST –

7mph.. yeah, either your GPS is broken or you just won the Olympics! :)
In my opinion 3mph cruising is about the average without wind, current for normal human beings in a non-racing kayak. 4mph is pulling hard, 5mph is vigorous and quite an achievement for longer than an hour.

I have a 14" recreational Perception America, it's not a racing one for sure, but I am more athletic than the average. I can cruise with 3-4mph for several hours, 5mph is about the max.

Like some others wrote, don't worry about speed, just enjoy paddling!

I have a 10’ Lifetime Kayak and have been averaging 3.15 mph. However I have encountered some waves and had to work harder and have reached a speed of 5.30 mph. Plus I will admit I do like to see how fast I can go.

Today I did a 5 mile in 01:39:02, but I do make stops in the water, so my splits range anywhere 17:00 min mile to a 25:00 min mile.

FSKA…a sea kayak club…depends upon how you measure it. GPS gives us speed , average moving and average trip (includes stops) For club it varies with the paddlers, ie whoose on the trip. Basically the trips, including stops, average in the 3 to 3.5 mph range for planning purposes. Most paddle sessions are more 4 mph moving averages.

Then again I haven’t been there much this summer…

1 Like