Splitrock, Osprey, Mist, Prism? Which?

rendezvous and prism
Eric Nyre’s inventory page –

http://www.canoecolorado.com/inventory/canoe/

– suggests that a Kevlar Rendezvous weighs 42 to 47 pounds. I have paddled one and enjoyed the nimbleness, but it’s a very big boat relative to what I usually paddle. I wouldn’t want one for anything but big trips on big rivers.

I paddled a Prism for a few days and didn’t like it. It is also very big, but it lacks the nice feel of the Rendezvous. Didn’t seem particularly fast, wasn’t pretty – nothing to recommend it, except that it’s a canoe (which might well be enough, in the right circumstances).

If you like the RapidFire, why not get it? If you can afford the boat, you can afford the shipping. Mine (with a kneeling seat) is a lot of fun to paddle.

Mark

Hey flickr friend!
I really appreciate your comments on the Vagabond. I guess I do need to decide “the worst” conditions I might find myself in. So far when I get waves larger than 2 feet or so, I move either to quieter bays, or off the lake as soon as possible. I have been in larger waves but not on purpose!

I’m not sure exactly how to measure wave height, is it from trough to peak? In that case I have not been out in greater than 3 foot waves in a canoe, only in skiffs or power boats. I have probably been in 3 foot waves in a tandem kayak on the ocean. Most of my paddling will be on medium sized lakes so I think something that can handle 2 to 2 and a half foot waves is sufficient. hard to estimate wave heights from memory…

Perhaps the Vagabond with a spray skirt would be all I need. I recognize it is not a glamorous hull, but on the other hand, I personally think it has nicer lines than the Prism.

And cost and weight are a factor, despite what we might wish!

Interesting comments on the Prism
I kind of wondered that about the Prism.

re the Rapidfire. Well, it requires a trip to the states to pick up and adding the shipping cost to the premium price of the boat is causing me hesitation. Same shipping and premium price issues for the Opsrey. I can get either, but I have to know it is going to be a vastly superior boat.

I have local dealers for Wenonah, Old Town, Clipper, and Bluewater, and Hellman – well and Mad River too, but I don’t think Hellman and Mad River have a boat I would like. If possible I would like to order from Wenonah, Bluewater, or Clipper, but I have to say that from what I have gathered so far in my research, what I really want is a boat from one of the other manufacturers.

Of the ones on my original list, the Splitrock and Mist are still attractive, the Packer from Clipper, and from Wenonah I have dropped the Prism and added the Advantage, Argosy, Rendezvous, and Vagabond. I just don’t hear that many good things about the Prism. I do know someone who might let me try out his.

My Solo Plus is basically a fat Prism – at least that is how I think of it!

Splitrock, Prism, Osprey re RapidFire

– Last Updated: Nov-09-10 2:14 PM EST –

Casual purview of the numbers indicates the Prism and SplitRock are likely to be similar hulls. Both 16.5ft OAL and 26" at rails and waterline. Prism is 30" wide, no max beam given for SR and both have minimal rocker.
Most figure Bell's Magic in Black/Gold is the best in class of this dimension range; ~ 16'X30" w/ scant rocker. All three respond best to seated paddlers with bent paddles. Those long, skinny bows do not draw to a Duffek

Osprey is 15' X30" max with heroic, differential rocker. It will be much more controllable in moving water than any of the above; the closest hull to it might be Bell's Merlin II; 15'X29". Both respond well to sitting paddlers with bents and kneeling paddlers with straight blade sticks. Both are the best in class solo trippers, with advantages over Mist, etc.

RapidFire is another beast entirely; 15'X 27.5" width with significant rocker. Most paddlers are quite happy sitting low with double blade sticks. Beware conversion to a kneeling boat, M Handy has a gyroscope inserted where the sun don't shine; an exceptional athlete!

Other significantly sub 30" solo tripping hulls include Colden's Vagabond, 27.5" and Nomad 28.5", Hemlock's Kestrel 27.5" and Peregrine 28.5".

In terms of build quality, the Osprey can be had with a similar infused hull with integral fiber over foam rails as the RapidFire, but first you need to decide what your stance in the boat will be.

Let’s say sitting with a double + single

– Last Updated: Nov-09-10 4:21 PM EST –

and let's leave out kneeling for now. If I am just going to be sitting and paddling with a double Aleut blade across the rough stuff, and using a single blade for cruising along the shoreline on the other side. I might occasionally encounter waves up to 3 feet but rarely, and I am mostly doing day trips.

And lets say I have to choose between the Splitrock,the Advantage (I've added that back to my list after listening to John over on the CCR board)and the Osprey, say, with a possible glance at the Argosy and Clipper Packer.

Just for argument sake, lets say the Rapidfire, Magic, Summersong, and the Colden boats are off the table.

then what do I pick?

x the advantage
I would eliminate the Advantage if you are going to be out in rough conditions.

Now
You’re playing games. I’m out.

I am tired!
Pick one. If you dont like it…sell it! After a while your mind just plays tricks.

I meant no disrespect or offence

– Last Updated: Nov-10-10 2:14 AM EST –

I apologize if it seems like I am playing games. In fact I would like very much to order a canoe from Placid Boat Works or Colden or Sawyer or Bell but it is difficult or impossible to arrange to have these boats sent to Vancouver Island.

Swift and Souris River have said they are willing to and there are dealers on the Island for Wenonah, Bluewater, and Clipper.

So since I am limited, is some respects, to these companies my task is to decide which of their boats will fit my need as originally expressed.

I have appreciated everyone's input so far and am sorry if I am taxing your patience.

I don’t think its you
at all but maybe if you go with your gut and we all shut up that would be best. Remember boats are not forever and you have to work with what you can get! You can’t sell your wife(husband) but you can sell a boat.

(I was about to suggest a Grumman 129 as workable…)

Maybe Wenonah Canak?
http://www.wenonah.com/products/template/product_detail.php?IID=245

If I could try them out, my gut would
inform me instantly I’m sure. Looking at a few pictures and dimensions leaves my gut scratching it’s…ok I guess I shouldn’t mix metaphors.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone’s input and suggestions. If anyone else would like to comment I will be grateful but I understand long threads can get tedious.

Peace and happy paddling to all…

Interesting, but not sure I need all
that deck. Have you paddled it?

How rough can it handle?
some chop and wind, or a little more than that?

Or a Clipper Sea-1? NM

Sea 1 way more than 35 lbs.

No, I haven’t paddled it. I’d like to.
Not much info on it out there in cyberspace, yet.

We can’t know
how comfortable or uncomfortable you would be paddling a boat like the Advantage in significant chop. You might not know either, until you tried it.

Boats like the Advantage, Sawyer Summersong, and (I suspect) the Clipper Freedom are fast, go straight type of boats, boats that can be paddled up to a good speed relatively easily without a lot of thought involved. Turning them involves a bit of commitment, and sometimes some advanced planning. That is no disadvantage for open water.

Something like the Wenonah Prism or Swift Osprey will still be quite efficient, but not feel quite as quick, but will offer a greater sense of seaworthiness.

If you want people to pick a boat based on what they perceive to be your needs, my vote would be for the Swift Osprey.

check out used on pnet
(OR) Wenonah Kruger design Advantage 1 solo kevlar canoe. sliding tractor seat. Wood gunwales. Great shape for an '89

For the price of used, it might be worth it to buy one and try it. There is a good, active, used market on pnet. I’ve bought and sold a few boats over the years and always have enjoyed working with others in the sport. Others here have bought and sold so much it would make you head spin.

Point is, you’ll learn more and at used level, the prices are often manageable.

The above ad is only a day or so old. Ask for pics and go from there.

Good idea, I need to check more often…
I like the idea very much, the only problem is that often the closest ones to my area require a ferry trip off the island and then going across the border, but I certainly would be willing to do that for the right boat.