Best Car for Kayaking

Or Maybe
Civic or Corolla wagons.

Checked out Mazda, Toyota, Honda, etc. .
(and have owned these brands in the past) . . . ended up with a Kia Sorento. Best price. Best value. Mine seats 7. Lots of nice extra features. Check it out.

To high
"ended up with a Kia Sorento. Best price. Best value. Mine seats 7. Lots of nice extra features. Check it out."

I think the O.P. was looking for something where you do not have to use a step ladder to secure your boats. That’s the only problem with the Sorrento as a friend of mine has one.

Amen
on the Mazda reliability. Have a 2006 Mazda 6 sedan with 110k as my sales car and absolutely NO problems…not one. Wish I would have purchased the wagon as the sedan is skimpy on long roof line…the wagon would be perfect. Someone above mentioned the Buick wagon…our daughters grew up in the 1985 Buick Estate Wagon, nickname “Wally Wagon”, complete with fake wood paneling…but oh would this baby haul 2 17’ canoes…lol. Swear the rack would hold a dozen yaks as it was strong. Mileage was 19mpg regardless of how fast you drove…would get one again if I could fine one in good condition. Oh, and tie downs? Heck anywhere on the heavy steel bumpers was fine.

Flex mpg
is not to good. I have a 2007 and 2011 Hyundai Sante Fe. Thule makes an excellent rack system for this car and yes the front crossbar can be set all the way forward on the rails. Drawback to Sante Fe - high roof, but other than that I love the car.

Dodge Grand Caravan
has been working well for us for several years. We’re on our second one now, using the factory rack rails and Yakima cross bars, spaced almost 5’ apart. The height may seem intimidating at first, but sliding the kayaks up over the back is pretty easy for one person loading. Used ones are readily available at a good price. More than makes up for the 22-23 mpg.

No ladder
The O.P. did state “low roof” AND “decent ground clearance.” That is some skinny vehicle! It’s hard to have both.

Anyway, I do load long kayaks without a step ladder by pushing them on from the back.

2003 Toyota Tacoma super cab P/U
Or the newest full size pick up of your favorite flavor. Mine’s Ford. Decent hwy mileage, big comfort and safety.

Low roof line and high ground clearance
limits the feild a lot. Subaru pretty much wrote the book. Volvo XC70 is nice. Suzuki offered the SX4, I think it was, but Suzuki seems to have gone away, at least around here.

I really like the sport wagons, BMW, MB, Mazda,Saab, etc. but about four or five times a year I find myself badly abusing my car, or giving thanks that I brought the truck.

So many choices,

T

mini cooper
http://mattwilkinson.zenfolio.com/p393185879/h1e8eb43d#h1e8eb43d

this one!
http://montaraventures.com/pix/amphicar.jpg

Second the sport wagons
My Saab 95 is a fantastic boat/gear/people hauler. With 4 snows and front wheel drive, it also goes almost anywhere.

Elantra Touring
I don’t know if it has enough ground clearance for you. Mine’s been great so far. Very nice price. Good gas mileage and Consumer Reports says it shouldn’t need much repair… and not too ugly.

Audi A4 wagon

– Last Updated: Dec-16-10 5:01 PM EST –

or a used COP Audi Allroad.

ditto ET
Roof rails with a higher weight capacity than Yakima or Thule (which is rare), what Kudzu said and pretty fun to drive.

Just
returned from a paddle trip with my 15’ kayak on top of friends Volvo xc70?? Has a well made STRONG factory rack, all wheel drive, lots of ground clearance and seems built very well…I’m impressed. If well maintained, I would love to have one.

Mazda 5
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that Mazda no longer makes a wagon. I suppose that’s true, but the Mazda 5 is a great vehicle with most of the attributes of a wagon. The roof line is a little higher than a wagons’, but it has all the room and is a very versatile car. We’ve had ours for about 1 1/2 years and love it. Haven’t put a lot of miles on it, but so far it certainly fits what we were looking for.

Volvo XC70 Wagon
Excellent performer all-round - Good handling, on and off road; low-enough to load kayaks on very strong factory (Thule-made) roof rack; outfitted to carry loads (tie-downs, etc.) inside and outside; reputation for safety and ruggedness and cruises in luxury.

We bought ours second-hand in the same price range that other, cheaper, smaller, less-long-lived wagon brands cost new.

Audi
Had one of these (Allroad) and loved it–expensive to buy, operate and fix. Figure on leasing or giving it back to dealer at 80K or spending a fortune for off warranty repairs. I gave my back on the second replacement transmission. Otherwise, can’t beat an Audi. Now drive an Accura TL with a Yakima roof rack. Works very well on all but the stoniest mountain roads.

taurus wagon
I have had excelent success with taurus