Best Car for Kayaking

Low roof line and high ground clearance
limits the feild a lot. Subaru pretty much wrote the book. Volvo XC70 is nice. Suzuki offered the SX4, I think it was, but Suzuki seems to have gone away, at least around here.

I really like the sport wagons, BMW, MB, Mazda,Saab, etc. but about four or five times a year I find myself badly abusing my car, or giving thanks that I brought the truck.

So many choices,

T

mini cooper
http://mattwilkinson.zenfolio.com/p393185879/h1e8eb43d#h1e8eb43d

this one!
http://montaraventures.com/pix/amphicar.jpg

Second the sport wagons
My Saab 95 is a fantastic boat/gear/people hauler. With 4 snows and front wheel drive, it also goes almost anywhere.

Elantra Touring
I don’t know if it has enough ground clearance for you. Mine’s been great so far. Very nice price. Good gas mileage and Consumer Reports says it shouldn’t need much repair… and not too ugly.

Audi A4 wagon

– Last Updated: Dec-16-10 5:01 PM EST –

or a used COP Audi Allroad.

ditto ET
Roof rails with a higher weight capacity than Yakima or Thule (which is rare), what Kudzu said and pretty fun to drive.

Just
returned from a paddle trip with my 15’ kayak on top of friends Volvo xc70?? Has a well made STRONG factory rack, all wheel drive, lots of ground clearance and seems built very well…I’m impressed. If well maintained, I would love to have one.

Mazda 5
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that Mazda no longer makes a wagon. I suppose that’s true, but the Mazda 5 is a great vehicle with most of the attributes of a wagon. The roof line is a little higher than a wagons’, but it has all the room and is a very versatile car. We’ve had ours for about 1 1/2 years and love it. Haven’t put a lot of miles on it, but so far it certainly fits what we were looking for.

Volvo XC70 Wagon
Excellent performer all-round - Good handling, on and off road; low-enough to load kayaks on very strong factory (Thule-made) roof rack; outfitted to carry loads (tie-downs, etc.) inside and outside; reputation for safety and ruggedness and cruises in luxury.

We bought ours second-hand in the same price range that other, cheaper, smaller, less-long-lived wagon brands cost new.

Audi
Had one of these (Allroad) and loved it–expensive to buy, operate and fix. Figure on leasing or giving it back to dealer at 80K or spending a fortune for off warranty repairs. I gave my back on the second replacement transmission. Otherwise, can’t beat an Audi. Now drive an Accura TL with a Yakima roof rack. Works very well on all but the stoniest mountain roads.

taurus wagon
I have had excelent success with taurus

Jeep Cherokee Sport

– Last Updated: Dec-20-10 10:08 AM EST –

2001 wuz de las' year made. WELDED RAIN GUTTERS! Need ah' say more....

Crappy gas mileage, but dems never die.

FE

Dodge or Chrysler van
Dodge or Chrysler van with a Hullavator. Easy to put the kayak up, and (with a few seats removed) loads of space for gear. I travel with a small stool inside and can change from paddling garb to street garb without being arrested for public nudity.

Dave, this might be one of the few

– Last Updated: Dec-23-10 10:19 AM EST –

things we agree on. I've had 3 Sable/Taurus wagons. After the first, I took a serious look at a 2 yr-old Volvo V90 w/ traction control - nice car. Almost did it until I stopped by the Ford dealer and he had 3 loaded late-model Sable wagons with under 12K on them for less than half the price of the Swedish car. I simply couldn't justify the difference in the projected cost/mile ratio. I'm gonna miss this last one (135,000 mi.) when it's gone.

The best car would be a belly tank
racer like those used on dry lakes or the Bonneville Salt Flats. Made from a surplus airplane belly fuel tank, these cars are shaped like a fishform kayak. You only have to get rid of the wheels, engine, etc., seal the hull, and put in a cockpit. BUT don’t expect much initial stability.

Mazda6 wagon in Australia
I find it strange that they no longer have the mazda6 wagon available in the U.S. as they are in available in Australia. They are also available here with a diesel engine which gives excellent economy.

I’ve had one for 3 years and my only complaint is the lack of ground clearance.

Kelvin

Scion xB
I am looking at the Scion xB.

For those that wanted a Camry Wagon, since 2008, the xB is on the Camry platform with the Camry Motor and Tranny.

I just recently found that out, and decided to give it another look.

Top Gear Show
Top gear test a few discontuinued GM products and the Road Master kicked butt!

You can paddle an amphicar
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33608333@N06/4999282830/in/pool-bestcars

and I imagine a double-bladed paddle would be even better.