Followup to Kayak car question

I don’t see any consistency here

– Last Updated: Feb-10-11 9:47 AM EST –

almost none of the cars you listed can you sleep in the back comfortably in. Including the jetta.
You either have to open the wallet or set some priorities.
From what I can see, they are:
Rack spread
Flat cargo area
MPG

Have you considered a used compact pickup with cap, or a used compact SUV? Or if you can find one, a used wagon such as a camry or corolla wagon?

If you're looking new, the Element is a great way to go, especially if you're willing to forgo AWD.

Have you looked at the new Ford C Max?

Get Rack Extensions

– Last Updated: Feb-10-11 11:03 AM EST –

A 60" or so rack extension will solve your problem for having straps over the cockpit rim. You should be using front and rear tie downs anyway on these long kayaks, so the actual spread of the bars makes virtually no difference if you have an extension. My cars have 22-24" bar spread but I never notice any problems with that since I have a 60" or so extensions mounted on the Yakima bars.

That would let you look into some cars you may be writing-off right now.

The Honda Fit is a marvel of interior space usage. Don't know if you can sleep in it or not, but there is a lot of space inside within the small dimensions of the vehicle.

The Elantra Touring drives nicer I think and can probably haul a longer WW boat inside than the fit or the element but not sure if it actually has more usable space. It stops better and may have higher safety ratings though. Not too gas-sipping though (the Fit I think is better but feels underpowered with the auto tranny and quite noisy at highway speeds)

May be the new Toyota Prius v (not the "V" as in trim level 5 but the "v" as in "versatile")? That would have similar if not better gas mileage than the TDI with probably even more interior space (a touch more than a Passat Wagon, which is bigger than the Jetta). Price is TBD at this point and not clear if the rear seats lay totally flat or not, but the car will be available later this year. Check it out here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/members/danny-albums-2012-toyota-prius-v-photos.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-v-main-forum

Maybe I am smaller
I put put my air mattress in both the Jetta and the Mazda 3 and layed down in the back and was fine. I am only 5’8" so that may be the reason I fit. The Jetta worked fine just as it was. On the Mazda3 my head (facing the front of the vehicle) did extended beyond the folded rear seat. However I ususally carry a gear box and stack some gear on the floor between the front and rear seat so that I make some extended flat floor space so my head does not drop off the edge of the seat. I have slept lots of nights in my Matrix this way.

Mark

Could you give me a link or mfg
My quick look through the Yakima website and a google search did not show anything obviously intended for Yakima racks.

Are the extensions made by Yakima or another company? Is there any particular questions to ask about how the extensions affect weight limits on the racks?

Sounds like this could be a good solution for me.

Mark

Extensions …

– Last Updated: Feb-10-11 11:36 AM EST –

One example from KayakPro (http://www.kayakpro.com/rowingracks): http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/accessories/showProduct.html?prodID=506&manfID=100

I'm sure there are others... I'm not keen on the actual "V" shape, I'd rather have a "U" shape that conforms to my boat's hull. But the V with some nice foam around it seems to work fine...

Or do your own - with proper tie downs on the ends of the boats I don't think these should have any significant impact on the load carrying capacity of the rack system but by all means chack with the manufacturers...

mjamja

– Last Updated: Feb-10-11 11:49 AM EST –

In that case, I'd follow the suggestion to get a rack extension, and get the 3. Resale values on the 1st gen 3 are remarkable. I may have one in my future. Or, you could hold out for the new Focus, which shares the 3 platform but looks to be a vast improvement over the current focus.
What don't you like about your matrix? And do you have the XRS version?

Kayak car
I know a lot of people on the forum don’t really care for these but consider this. The Dodge Magnum has a 41 inch spread between the crossbars on the factory rack. This combined with the Mopar sport crossbars, and a Thule Slipstream rack pushes the spread to about 50 inches. This allows me to strap down my yaks, (Seda Ikkuma 17 & Qcc 700), at the for and aft bulkheads. The roofline is quite low, allowing for easy access. The rear seats fold down to carry a ton of gear, or to allow 2 adults to sleep quite comfortably on an inflatable mattress. This vehicle was developed when Mercedes owned Chrysler, the transmission is the 4-Matic from Germany, the rear susp. Is from the previous E-series, and a lot of the switchgear is from the Mercedes parts bin. It has Mercedes traction and stability systems, and AWD was an option, but hardly nessessary. When you shut the door, it sounds and feel like a german car. For ease and convenience of trasporting an eighteen foot kayak, a Volvo wagon may be a better choice, but at a different price point. The other vehicles mentioned by the original poster are all great vehicles. They just aren’t as capable, and look a bit silly transporting an 18 ft kayak.

element
The element comes with awd. I have used one in heavy snow on steep terrian. Works very well.

Ryan L.

my poorly written sentence
Sorry about that. What I meant was to recommend the 2wd model unless one really, really needs awd. One pays a premium in purchase price, mileage and conceivably in service costs.

I live in a northern state and have winter tires on a 2wd car. I used to think I needed AWD but not after driving with these tires!

Honda Fit is made for sleeping in back

– Last Updated: Feb-10-11 2:14 PM EST –

Or so I've read. Their Element might be another good candidate for you, though it gets lower mpg.

Nissan Cube might work, though it looks short. When I first saw one at the dealership, the sales guy said Nissan was considering making one in a cargo version, which would be better for sleeping in.

Ford Transit might do the trick, too.

The little boxy Scion was another one designed to allow sleeping in. However, I don't know if these are still being made.

Another possibility, though not a car, is a 4cyl 2WD compact pickup truck, if you can even find one anymore. My first truck was a Mazda B2000 and I got 32 mpg highway with it back east, 29 mpg when I moved to Colorado. Its EPA rating was for 27 mpg. A 6' to 7' bed is plenty for sleeping in, and a topper gives you a long roof for adequate crossbar spacing. Some toppers have rails that allows you to vary the crossbar spacing.

Straps across cockpit rims
I would avoid that like the plague. The straps across that big hole are likely to vibrate with the wind buzzing over it and make a lot of noise.

Rack separation
If you don’t like the rack spread on your ride, you can get an EZ-Vee, V-bar or Slipstream carrier, which puts the boat tie-downs up to 8 ft apart.

I have no wisdom to offer on the cars you mention - but I wouldn’t let rack spread decide which car I drove.

Don’t rely on the sales people
Sometimes they don’t know individual models very well.

If a vehicle has flat, no-big-seam-folded rear seating, the company brochures will probably brag about that.

Have you considered a minivan? Some of those can be slept in, and they have longer rooves.

Rav4
I like my 2010 Toyota Rav4 4 cycl.

Back seat folds down flat and I can sleep in it at 5’ 10"

The stock rack works great.

they do slope
but they also compress. I’ve moved 2 friends in the last year and the slope wasn’t an issue. The car holds more than some SUVs. As far as sleeping, if you use a pillow, you can probably get a good night’s sleep. If you sleep flat, get a van. I haven’t tried it yet, but it seems inevitable so will post a ‘sleep report’ when I do.

It’s a really nice kayak car.

Lyn

Tried the Fit once
Very impressive little buggy. Lots more room that it looks like it should have inside, peppy even with a slushbox (Automatic), and very good on fuel. Fun to drive, too. Very well designed interior that maximizes useable space when desired.

The Elantra touring looks very good for paddling. Another one to definitely give a look.

Spread for Crossbars
Have you seen a KIA Sorento? It has really long factory roof rails and would give you the spread you want for your crossbars…

No mention of Saab or Volvo wagon
Not sure why but the SAAB95/Volvo V70 wagons provide all the features you seek, and a flat load floor that can sleep two adults. Lots of cargo options too. Used versions can be had in the 10-15K range. With regular maintenance, they are pretty serviceable. I’ve owned both and prefer the Saab95 Wagon with front wheel drive and 4 snows in the winter for all-around load carry/features/flying under the cop radar/resale value. I also own a CRV but never use it for hauling boats. Too narrow load spread.

First Year Cars
I am looking for a replacement for my 2005 Prius. I can sleep in it and it can haul gear. I am 6’4". I would like something a little bigger. The first year cars are the Prius v, Ford Cmax, and Hyundai HED-5. I really do not like first year cars. Some other cars with the 6-speed auto are Chevy Equinox, Hyundai Tuscon, and Kia Sportage. The Elantra touring and Sportage are the front runners right now.

JimZ

If you are selling the prius …
… at a time that I’d be looking to replace mine (getting near 180K miles mark on my '02) give me a PM -:wink: