Fishing from a Touring?

Hello,

For some background, I’m brand new to kayaking and I am looking for my first boat. Because I plan to do some fishing and exploring I don’t want to buy a kayak designed specifically for fishing. I also want to stick with a sit inside kayak. Most of the time I will be kayaking/fishing large lakes and rivers.

Can anybody give me your experiences with fishing in the touring type boats? I have been looking at the Tsunami series by wilderness system in the 12-14 foot range. I’m worried that the boats are not roomy enough to enjoy fishing. I am drawn to them because I think I will have more fun paddling a touring boat and I can also take the kayak on vacation and play in the ocean. If fishing can be fun and relaxed in this type of boat then I would rather go this route.

On the other-hand, since I will be fishing half the time I am wondering if a wider boat like a Pungo would better fit me? I can see where the fishing would be easier since you have more room, but the lack of performance is what turns me off. I feel like this boat won’t be as fun when I want to take the kayak out and see how far I can go.

Any advice and help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I have done a ton of research and talked to a half dozen people who kayak, but none of them fish.

Thanks,

Aaron

CD Whistler
I fish from this boat all the time. I got a yakclip to hold either my paddle to the cockpit when fishing or the pole when paddling.

I go light on tackle and carry everything in a back pack and small plastic tackle boxes. Less is more. Figure out what you actually need to enjoy your fishing.

I find having a rudder is very useful. It allows you to set up and drift fish using the wind and current to move you. I fish a lake that is about 3/4 of a mile long. I can work my way along a shore and quite often drift much of the the length without ever picking up my paddle to reposition.

I would never go out on my kayak without my pole. I also have a little Heritage Featherlite. The pole fits behind the seat without a pole holder needed. Good boat to take to the swamp be me.

I also use a Cobra Navigator sot. It is my warm weather boat. It is also the boat that requires the most user rigging to fish from seriously.

I used a QCC 700 for fishing and paddling for years. They SINKs kinda suck for fishing. Noplace to put a tackle box, or land a fish.

I got a canoe, and its a lot better for fishing than the kayak.

Yeah sure, you can do it.
How do you think the whole kayak fishing thing got kicked off? There weren’t any kayaks designed for fishing until there was a market to sell them in.

Rec boats are great for fishing. It’s somewhat hard to tell where recreation boats end and day touring begins (though some boats are obviously one or the other). So sure. Go ahead.

Disagreeing with the above poster a bit, I fish from a SinK frequently. While I recognize what many people like about SOT’s for fishing, I’m just more comfortable in a SinK. So that’s what I have. It works fine.

• Big D

But is it comfortable?
I understand that it CAN be done, but is it easy enough that I will enjoy the fishing? I will probably be doing 50/50 touring and fishing. I don’t think I will enjoy the fishing if I have to constantly worry about capsizing. The Rec boats seem like they would be fun to fish out of, but I don’t see where they would be fun to paddle when I am going out on the water just for the sake of being on the water.

I appreciate the feedback so far. I’m trying to give you guys as much background information as possible.

I found a good deal on a Tsunami 140 Duralite with rudder, so thats the boat I am considering.

One more thing
Does anybody have some suggestions for a touring/fishing kayak? I know its a weird combination, but I’m just trying to find the right boat that gives me enough boat to have fun paddling/camping while still being able to enjoy fishing.

I am a light fisherman, one tackle box, one rod. So the kayak fishing fits my style.

Carolina
I haven’t done it, but I know lots of people do fish from a Wilderness Systems Carolina. Mount a Scotty rod holder so that you can secure your rod above deck when you need both hands on the paddle. I’d also be sure to have some deck rigging on your boat so that you can slide your tackle holder under it. For a while I used a Bass Pro Shops fold up tackle holder and velcro-ed it to my deck. It worked great. I was able to keep it folded open, the zippers held the tackle in even when the deck was awash, and it held as much as I needed for a day of fishing.

It’s very hard to answer a question of whether you’re going to enjoy doing something when I don’t know you. All I can say is that others have done what you are suggesting and have enjoyed it.

• Big D

The Pungo 140
It’s the fastest boat I know in it’s class and it is the only Sink I’d choose for fishing.