Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cooking Beans

Many wilderness travelers have relied on beans for a basic food.

Question: What is the best way to cook dry beans when traveling time is limited?

Comments

• Probably...
    Soaked and cooked, then de-hydrated and packed. I can't think of anyway to speed up cooking dried beans, but maybe someone else has.
    T
  • Options
    buy canned
  • ditto
    cook em before you leave and dehydrate them. OR soak all day in a tupperware thingy while paddling and use a pressure cooker small one you can buy and cook in that.
    better yet....buy dehydrated already beans at a co-op or health food store where they sell bulk dried beans....save you time, fuel cost, bringing pressure cooker, use of dehydrater, space, weight and still have the same nutrition value.
  • Options
    or
    throw them in a thermos full of hot water before you leave camp in the AM. By evening, you will have lukewarm, but edible beans.
  • Whatever method you choose,
    try it at home with your camping equipment first.
    See if you're happy with the results before you take off on that adventure. Best of luck,
    T
  • Options
    Thanks
    I'll experiment!
  • Options
    My $.02...
    Forget the beans all together & buy a box of minute rice. Boil H2O, remove from stove, add rice, let stand 5 minutes, add condiments if necessary, eat...

If you have atleast 15 mins for a meal break, mix up some bannock at home. In 10 mins, you can cook the rice & bannock and eat or eat on the move after it is made?

Rice = 3 mins boil time, 5 mins saturate
    Bannock (pre-mixed) = Add "A LITTLE" H2O, 5 mins per side

In 10 minutes, you can have your meal prepared & be eating. They are both light weight, easy, filling & VERY little clean-up.

But, if you insist on beans & not worried about weight, buy canned & eat them either warm or cold. If they are canned (like Bush's), they are already cooked & can be eaten cold.

Paddle easy,

Coffee
  • Options
    Second the Thermos...
    ...or..paint a nalgene bottle black... fill it with water and beans and stick the nalgene on the exposed deck in direct sunlight....(allow for the beans to expand)
  • canned beans can be dehydrated
    chop em up a little first. Some parks ban cans. Sometimes you just don't want to portage cans.
  • Options
    Well, you could always just...
    Open the can, pour into "freezer grade" zip-lock bags, boil water & drop the bag in the boiling water, let cook till warm/hot (preference), eat???

Paddle easy,

Coffee
  • Pressure cookers,
    good idea. The darn things scare me, though. Had one blow up when I was young and dumb(er), and haven't used one since.
    I'm going to play with the Thermos idea this weekend. I'm skeptical, but willing.
    T
  • Options
    What's The Problem?
    Did your fart sack loose its oder?

Quit watching old cowboy movies and eat rice.
  • Options
    Beans
    Beans aren't gassy if you eat no sugar with them.
  • Options
    re: cooking beans
    I discovered a source for dehydrated white beans at Packit Gourmet. I think they come in 1 lb bags and cost a 1/4 of dehydrated beef or chicken. They take about 15 minutes to cook and pack a great amount of protein and carbs. I use them to make soups and to use as a base for a mushroom, onion, salami white bean dinner. They are great. Don't take the dark road to instant rice, which is pretty much a worthless food.
  • Options
    What about...
    Instant potatoes? Quick, light, easy, filling!! Cut up some hot dogs & add cheese... YUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

literally, a "meal in minutes"!

Paddle easy,

Coffee
  • instant black & re-fried beans
    Most any health food store worth it's salt should have a bulk section where you can stock up on instant dried black or re-fried beans. Simply boil some H2o, mix and wait 10 min. I've been using them on trips and at home for years. Packs small too.
  • No more?
    We had those, but they seem to no longer be available in my city, which is in Canada.

My solution was to use a blender to make bean flour, which cooks really fast and is suitable for dips, tacos, burritos and the like. It needs a bit of seasoning, and isn't instant, but quick. I hear a coffee grinder makes a more consistent product, but I just used my blender and accepted a bit of chunkieness.
  • Options
    pressure cooker
    small amount of water add dried beans and cook for 8 - 12 minutes depending on bean type. Add some spices, dried sausage, rice and voila. My favorite for camping is: http://www.amazon.com/Hawkins-Classic-Aluminum-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B000GR8RL6