PFD for a big guy.

Stohlquist
Stohlquist Fisherman Vest in the Universal size. I have you beat by 50 pounds and it fits fine. Room to expand, which I hopefully won’t do.

Thanks
Thank you for all of the responses. Stohlquist has what looks like a very good selection in adition to the fishing line. I want a good comfortable vest so that it doesn’t end up on the deck or (worse) on the beach. I also want to set a good example for my children while paddling. The articles were also an interesting read.

Scott

What do you think…
about this vest from Bass Pro Shops? http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Mesh-Top-Angler-Flotation-Vest-for-Men/product/10213766/-1114464?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL#BVQAWidgetID

It is a nice looking vest and a great price. Good size info and extended sizes.

Scott

Try non-kayaking PFD

– Last Updated: Apr-17-11 4:18 PM EST –

- doesn't necessarily mean "not paddling". Check West Marine and other non-kayaking stores and ask for "canoe PFD" or loos-fit PFD. Here is an example - it's in Canada, but it should be available under different names anywhere:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442207135&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672077&bmUID=1303070280674

Check camping/fishing shops and general marine stores like West Marine. This Buoy-O-Boy has a loose fit, there is no narrow waist. It's made like a coat, not like a "bomber jacket" of a typical kayaking PFD, and if zipper won't close, you still have a belt. My Buoy-O-Boy was more comfortable - it had several narrow 2-inch vertical foam panels instead of a few large panels like this on the photo. I saw them (like mine) in kayak and canoe rental shops, you may go and check too (and they sell it for $25 used).

PS: not a good example on the photo - this one is definitely a "non-paddling". Mine BoB had no collar.

It all depends what your life is worth

– Last Updated: Apr-17-11 4:14 PM EST –

Where do you paddle, conditions, time for rescue, etc...

Is you life worth $ 20 - will the stitching hold up,
will the sun eat the fabric in a season and rip/tear ?

Would you clip a carabiner onto it and pull a hulking
mass of man out of a river based on the vest alone... ?

How is someone going to pull you out of the water
- hopefully not by your swim trunks for a wedgie.

Personal choice plays a key role in purchase

Willi
All great points you make. I will go to the store to check build quality. I see that it is USCG approved but any type III gives you only minimal protection and is not a “Rescue Vest”. I am not a beleiver in the “more $ is better” school of thought. I will be doing mostly flat water on small lakes in fair weather, and rivers only with groups of paddlers and I’m a fairly strong swimmer. Thankyou for the input.

Scott

Best of luck
Enough said

extrasport
I work part time at a livery in the summers and we have put extrasport livery universal jackets on some huge guys. One bouncer came in and was well over 400 pounds. The vest looked like a postage stamp on the guy, but it fit.

Kokatat Bahia
Kokatat Bahia. I have two of them in the XXL size, one regular, one the touring model with extra pockets. Very adjustable, and pretty comfortable.

Body Density & Flotation Requirement

– Last Updated: Apr-19-11 7:35 PM EST –

The people hardest to float are those with compact, dense bodies. These tend to be people with athletic body builds, with a lot of bone and muscle mass, and not much fat. Fat is not as dense as muscle and bone, so people who are overweight can actually be easier to float than someone who is much smaller and leaner. Heavy people do not need a higher buoyancy PFD because of their weight.

Most require only about 11 pounds of extra buoyancy to keep their head out of water. That is why a PFD with just 15.5 pounds of buoyancy can provide adequate flotation for an adult -- even a very large person. PFDs with 22 to 34 pounds can provide superior performance.

About the same size as you.

– Last Updated: Apr-20-11 12:33 PM EST –

Stohlquist A-Sea fits well, is comfy and has good features.

Jim

http://www.stohlquist.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74&Itemid=60

MTI Reflex II
I use it in a canoe, not a kayak, but I’ve been very happy with my MTI Reflex II. 6’4" 300#

extra large
sometimes I use a overly infalted tractor innertube, but makes rolling tough- Bert…

Dunham’s
I’m 6’ and 250, I got a PFD from Dunham’s (don’t know the brand right off hand) but it’s made for kayaking and they go up to at least 2 and maybe 3x sizes. The one I have is great for me and the straps still have plenty of play room, they’re about 40 bucks on sale.

ill get hell for this
but i use a pool noodle

Great…
Thanks for the laugh.

Big Guy PFD
Take a look at the NRS Chinook Vest. Lots of pockets and accessories AND fits up to 58" in XXL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQlkt4pKVes

Life Jacket for Fat Guys
Winning edge makes them now in both neoprene and nylon. Search for winning edge oversized.

Sorry to resurrect a 4 year old post but I thought I would add my experience to this post. I am a big guy at 6’2 and close to 400 pounds. I bought a MTI Solaris 2x/3x and this fits me well and keeps me afloat. I prefer paddling vest as I like the more unrestricted movement when fishing from a boat. I know some will chime in about taking “personal responsibility” but when you have a medical condition, hypothyroidism, coupled with a spinal injury the weight doesn’t just melt off despite best efforts. I still enjoy the outdoors and remain as active as my injury allows. I hope this helps someone and doesn’t keep them from enjoying this place we call Earth.

@Rs130754 said:
Sorry to resurrect a 4 year old post but I thought I would add my experience to this post. I am a big guy at 6’2 and close to 400 pounds. I bought a MTI Solaris 2x/3x and this fits me well and keeps me afloat. I prefer paddling vest as I like the more unrestricted movement when fishing from a boat. I know some will chime in about taking “personal responsibility” but when you have a medical condition, hypothyroidism, coupled with a spinal injury the weight doesn’t just melt off despite best efforts. I still enjoy the outdoors and remain as active as my injury allows. I hope this helps someone and doesn’t keep them from enjoying this place we call Earth.

Good for you for getting out on the water - and thanks for sharing your experience and findings about the PFD.

Best wishes.