Blackflies and Noseeums

roll em in mud
always works heah in de woods. I live in de woods all year round.

Luckily.

I like mud. I dont like bugs.

Or you can attach a fan to your guests.

If all else fails
I am very happy with my Original Bug SHirt in cotton, treated with permethrin.

Jim

bugs
I’ve read that a lot of bugs don’t like garlic. What about getting garlic in capsules and sprinkling it around? Or maybe get some liquid garlic, add it to water in a small spray bottle and spray it around?

DEET
Garlic makes me sick… :slight_smile:

Sounds like 'camper marinade’
I knew a bear that had a recipe like this, except he added some oregano & parsley. Soak in tent overnight to make tender…

:slight_smile:

Garlic
might just work, to a degree. I got my wife a bug shirt for Xmas. Dumb move.

You get used to it.
Really, you do.

Mosquitoes are the easiest. AFter the first 10,000 bites or so, you no longer react to them.

Blackfiles take longer, and I never have gotten completly immune to them. However most flies bite less on grease. I knew guys working on the lines running up to Kettle Falls on the east side of lake Winnipeg who would work without shirts. They used motor oil for the bugs.

I’ve used lard, or margarine.

A Streetsweeper with very, very fine
shot.

I was sort of suprised to see this post

– Last Updated: Jan-08-11 2:14 AM EST –

again. I found my first year in bug country was not at all bad. The black flies chewed my legs and arms and occasionally got me on the face. I'm fortunate to not have a reaction to the bite. Just profuse bleeding, no whelps or itching. The mosquitos were worse in Missouri when I went home for a visit in June. The advice that DuluthMoose gave was what I'll go by. Last spring and summer was an unusual one up here as far as the local folk were concerned. They called it a "bug free year" up here on the Gunflint Trail. The late Darryl (DuluthMoose) spent his life, his career up here in the woods, on the lakes and in swamps hanging out with the bugs and other critters that make us miserable. His insect/calendar is posted on my wall. I think it's probably as reliable as anything we'll ever find.
BTW....I bought a complete Bug suit, top and bottom. Never needed them. Only used spray once. That was spring and summer 2010. Spring and summer 2011 could be different. Probably will be. I'm keeping the bug suit.

Bugs
Get over it!

Bug Calendar
Keeping the Duluth Moose Bug Calendar on the wall next to the camping gear cabinets will be a lasting reminder of our late friend and sage.

Bill

OMG, those horrible mayflies!..LOL

– Last Updated: Feb-23-11 7:09 PM EST –

per kayamedic: Just Go.....
all the best in 2011..

$.01

bf’s
In central Canada, we shoot for July 15 as the earliest put in date. I can’t tell you how many times we have gone one-two weeks earlier and white socks (black flies) were relentless; which for some destinations you have no choice but to put up with them. For Mn and south Canada, mid August is awesome; bugs can be gone by then. Don;t know about Maine.

Course, it all varies if the weather for the year has been warm, cold, wet, or especially dry; and some areas are worse than others. Mosquitos? You can laugh at Mosquitos compared to BF’s :slight_smile: No see-ums, stable flies (ankle biters) and friendly flies are annoying but much more tolerable. A bad case of aggressive black flies is really something to experience.

What about HERBAL ARMOR?

– Last Updated: Apr-26-11 4:56 PM EST –

I have used
"All Terrain HERBAL ARMOR Insect Repellent"
on the tundra to great effect against flies.
It is free of most chemical crap and smells great, like you've been run over by a truck loaded with flowers (lemon grass, geraniums, etc.)
It has worked really well for me.

Has anyone used it against the horrid no-see-um?

no but I will
they chased me right out of the Everglades.

Oh the ice went out Thursday. We paddled Sunday. I had a blackfly try to approach…

They ALL will be here soon.

The best thing for no-see-ums is :
Avon skin so soft.

When we first moved to the south, I thought all the truck drivers and construction workers at the SC coastal areas smelled like a bunch of queers, but I sooned joined them.

That stuff works like a charm

Jack L

Duh
where is the smiley that has me hitting myself on the head…

I have been researching what works against the beach no seeum in Florida as the ones in Maine dislike DEET .

The ones in Florida could care less about DEET.

Where is the Avon Lady? Is there still an Avon Lady?

Deet also works good on them
If your deet is several years old, throw it away and get some new stuff.

jack L

skin-so-soft
DEET is mean stuff, http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/a/aa042703a.htm

and it worked for about five minutes in Newfoundland

against No-see-ums. I hate that crap.

Many field biologists I know swear by the Avon skin-so-soft.

I’d like to know results of an Herbal-Armor test against Skin-so-soft, arm-for-arm.

maine bugs 2011
I would be willing to bet cash money that the bugs are gunna be really bad this year in Maine. Plenty of standing water for mosquitos and flowing water for black flies. Last year was very dry, especially in the spring, so the bug population never got going. I would suggest all out-of-staters(except me)stay out of Maine for the entire paddling season.