Paddle to Bahamas from Florida?

hmmmmmm
not surprised at all…with florida having 2000 miles of coastline and probably again in the interior i wouldnt expect it to be common or desirable to paddle out there to bimini…

i know kruger told me before he died that they got stuck out there during one of the hurricanes and paddled throu well into the night and next day without reaching land and the seas were near 20 feet high…they were catamarand together obviously

thats the only one I know of
As far as I know, Kruger was the only one.

I would also recommend a Kruger-designed boat for the trip if you plan on doing it.

Thanks for the input
There must be a reason no one does this besides it being challenging (stupid?). I’ve kayaked into the gulfstream with my Scupper Pro many times but turned back after 5 miles off the coast. We actually were contemplating using Scupper Pros although I would prefer my CD Solstice. I doubt we will do it but if one of the guys puts a plan together, I will join them.

Anyone with more input please chime in. Thanks for the feedback so far.

dave

someplace to check
you could check out WaterTribe www.watertribe.com

There are a lot of people from Florida there, and they are all pretty extreme saltwater (and freshwater) paddlers and sailors. You could always sign up for their forum and post your inquiry.

It would probably be your best bet for info out there.

Thanx
I’ve been thinking of doing their EC race some day too.

email these guys
heres a link with some connections:

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/06/22/Sports/Go_with_the_flow.shtml

Thanks, I read that either that trip or
similar did not make it - the canoe capsized in large waves in the gulf. I will look into their logisitcs and maybe try to contact them.

contact
contact mark or someone from one of the kruger web sites etc…/message boards and get Valerie Fons email/phone etc…and call her. Shes still alive in Michigan and was with Verlen when they paddled to Cape Horn.

Kayaking to the Bahamas
Hey! Wondering if you have found anything further on this kayaking to the Bahamas idea. I was looking into it myself and could not find any information either. I am very interested in doing this, and it would be good to find some others to participate and do it as a group. Else I may end up doing it solo.

did
did you make any of the contacts I sent to you regarding the two known people who have done it? sure they hold a wealth of info you will never find on the net.

Here you go, try the whole loop!

– Last Updated: Feb-25-12 5:54 AM EST –

Over a year of solo sea kayaking on a journey
from the west coast of Florida to the British
Virgin Islands, in the West Indies, by way of
The Bahamas, The Turks and Caicos, The
Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and the U.S.
Virgin Islands....

http://www.scottbwilliams.com/ScottBWilliams.html

edit
Didn't realize this thread was a year old!

Kayak to Bahamas from Florida
Watch for updates! Now handling publicity for Port Saint Lucie, Florida area kayaker who will be kayaking from Florida to the Bahamas later this summer.

Haven’t check replies in a while
I found that a guy down the block paddled a surf ski from Bahamas to Florida in the 80’s and still holds the record for human-paddle speed for that trip. My group’s interest is waning so I doubt we will pursue this adventure. Just got beat up doing the entire Peace River in extremely low water conditions. Kind of wrecked my CD Solstice - broken rudder, no gel coat/glass left in places on bottom. But we had fun…

islands
Have been looking at a yak trip through the islands for a while. Please share any info. Was thinking Boca to the Western tip of Grand Bahama. 70 miles. After that they are much shorter legs. Rick Carter generaljeb2@embarqmail.com

Florida to Bahamas
I have always dreamed of this paddle. I am an intermediate kayak and paddle boarder. It is very curious that there are not more people who have attempted this.

I have been thinking of this paddle since mid 90’s. Has anyone here done or know of someone who has done this since this post started?

It’s on my bucket list, as is a trip from Key West to the Dry Tortugas. Local paddler Bruce Gipson has made the Crossing from the Bahamas to Florida:

https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/kayaking-from-florida-to-the-bahamas-faster-than-anyone-again-20160303/

Greg Stamer

The guy who owned the Ocklawaha Canoe Outpost in Fort McCoy, Florida, about 15 years ago paddled alone from Florida to Bimini in a rec kayak and also the length of the Mississippi. I can’t recall his name, but here he is in the orange shirt at Gores Landing.

1 Like

If I was to do it, I’d go Bahamas to Florida. Much larger target to hit should you get pushed off course.

Seems like ti has been done many times before. Came across this article: https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/kayaking-from-florida-to-the-bahamas-faster-than-anyone-again-20160303/ as one example.

The Big Blue Ocean can kick your butt.
I never wanted to be stuck in a sea kayak 24 hours a day. Hard on the back, too cramped, hard to sleep, How do you take a crap at sea?

People have done it. Talk with them.