Speed

Given that a SUP is generally shorter hull on the water but one that’s being propelled by a longer lever than what would be used in a kayak, what speeds over distance a realizable (not sure if thats an actual word). Anyone have gps measured data?

My new board arrives today and I’m obviously thinking of playing hooky for a bit to get it wet.

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

SUP

– Last Updated: May-04-12 5:43 PM EST –

HUGE difference between a shorter planing hull, surf style SUP and a displacement hull race board over 13 feet. Strong, trained racers on 14 or 17 foot race boards can average over 5 mph for over 20 miles on the ocean. The surf boards really aren't designed to do anything like that, maybe 3mph? Wind also has a MUCH bigger effect on a SUP paddler than on a kayaker. Have fun with your new board.

Will do
In addition to the standard models of the Tahoe boards (displacement hulls not planing)I brought in one Thunderbird for myself. I’ll take the gps widget with me and see what it and I do, provided I spend more time topside than offside. :wink:

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

I have the same question…
I’m relatively new to SUP paddling, and I went out today to see what I could do. Sadly, my GPS batteries gave out before I could even get started.

Anyway, I paddled my usual lake which is about 2.75 to 2.80 miles around depending on how close you follow the shoreline. It took me between 40 and 45 minutes (guessing on my analog watch, should have used my stopwatch). That puts me somewhere between 3.5 and 4 miles an hour.

Some data
Davbart, your guess is probably quite good. On my measurement attempt my MotionX app says I was averaging 3.7mph to 4mph. The return leg was a bit longer as I was paddling into the wind. The track is different than in a kayak. It shows alternating crescent shapes as the board doesn’t stay on an absolutely true heading. Good fun! Awesome workout!

See you on the water,

Marshall

Hyde Park, NY

Hard data,…
Finally, paddled with the GPS and did 2.8 miles in 37 minutes for a moving average of 4.5 mph.

I’m really interested in getting on a displacement board and see what I can do. I’m definitely hooked on this SUP thing.