Wilderness Tripping, or what?

You might actually get a better response
on Advice, Discussion, or People & Places. This forum has gotten slow, and I think one reason is the discrepancy between the guideline (quite good and well-stated) and what people read in the “Wilderness” threads. We’ve lost most of the “wilderness” canoe campers who are still on myccr and even Song of the Paddle.

I LIKE this board just the way it is…

– Last Updated: Jun-19-12 11:25 AM EST –

..oh! and any excuse to tell g2d to go stuff himself is a plus!...thanks fer stoppin' by to enable me.

Now go stuff yer self biscuit eater.

Here’s a thought for you, g2d:
Let BRENT decide when HIS boards need policing, scolding and instructive posts to bring people back on topic. It is HIS creation, HIS livelihood, and HIS baby. I’m sure if he really wants YOUR help, he knows how to get in touch with to ask for it.

Has he asked you for help? Then shut up already.

YoS

You’re stuck on your own definition.
Which likely means nothing to anyone else. Where I paddle with friends on WW in West Virginia, once you put on, you are not taking off without a 7-10 mile hike with no trails, up to 800’ climbs, and no help along the way, all while leaving your gear behind. And there is zero chance of first aid other than what you or someone in your group can provide. That’s a reasonable definition of “wilderness” in my opinion, though unlikely yours because we “get in and out in a day”. So what? Brent didn’t define it further than he did, so what gives you the right to make decisions and give directions for him?

If the site’s not useful for you, g2d, the door is easily found. Be sure not to let it bump you on the way out.

YoS

Momma
Grow up you sound like a child…If you look at the post and board he is right

You’re being silly again.

It’s nice to see the boad policeman
is still doing his job

maybe he never saw Deliverance

Way to change the subject .
What does BWCA and beyond mean to you? Twelve miles on Chattooga 3 with many known exit points? One of the largest formal wilderness areas in the east, the Cohuttas, is not much as wilderness goes. The rivers that run through it have been run, occasionally. I have run one of them, and I have walked every mile of both rivers. I never assumed I was in wilderness. None of the whitewater paddlers I’ve known since 1974 would consider them wilderness.

But it isn’t that which makes me scratch my head. It’s people that come to this forum talking about trips on rivers that have settlements all up and down, or an overnight on a lake that has prepared campsites. (BWCA is getting a bit like that.)

If you want a wilderness forum where most posters aren’t talking about wilderness, you know how to get it. But it won’t change the fact that most paddlers DO NOT call that wilderness, and that the forum guideline does not read that way.

What frustrates some of you is that I’m right, but I won’t go away when you yell at me.

What are you doing over here? I can’t
remember when I last saw you on the wilderness forum. Same for Yak of Pewter. I guess you’re just another policeman, like me. Takes one to know one.

But you wouldn’t know a real issue if it crawled in your boat and bit you.

No, the only thing frustrating about you
is the anal retentive way you go about attempting to police something as if it’s yours, when it clearly is not, and the real owner seems to take no interest in doing the same.

YoS

So I ask the cops
If I travel down the Teslin and the Yukon Rivers is that wilderness? The trip will take fourteen days. Sometimes there will be no people and sometimes there will be as the Yukon is a working river. There are no roads along most of it.

I just find the discussion here silly. Wilderness is a white mans word. To Natives the word is home.Wilderness does not certainly mean where no man has gone before.

I love it!
g2d thinks being reminded he posted on the wrong board is lame! And he is so right! ROTFLMAO!

Here’s a thought for you.
Pretending that being away from a paved road for a few hours or a few miles is perhaps good for your flagging mental health. But it’s still pretending. BWCA or beyond. Brent wrote that.

On no other paddling forum I’ve ever visited are people so touchy about being told they might have posted in a better place in order to serve their own needs. It seems to have to do with the middle school developmental level and mentality of a few pnetters.

Go ahead and complain to Brent if you want to. Explain why you came over to this forum to bitch at me when you never show up here otherwise. Policing?

Explain what you’re doing over here.
Policing?

My original post makes an incontrovertible point. Many of the posts on this forum have nothing to do with wilderness paddling. This is a slow-moving forum, and one possible reason is that its purpose has been ignored. How would we lure more real wilderness paddlers back to this board?

You’ve made your argument— If you can’t see a house and can’t hear traffic, it must be wilderness. To which I have answered, “BWCA and beyond.” That’s what people mean by wilderness.

Yakky, I’ve been here longer than you, I’ve helped more people than you by a factor of ten, and I’m not planning on changing my views for you, or leaving.

I “policed” no individual in my original post, and if you don’t like my definition of wilderness, you’ve gotten to offer yours, at no cost to you. What does it say about you that you can’t choose to leave it at the level of an honest disagreement?

kayakmedic, wilderness is hard to
define so that the definition includes or excludes marginal cases, but most people I know would recognise that a good number of posts on this forum don’t have anything to do with “wilderness.” And we see rather few posts on this forum by serious wilderness paddlers.

Remind me, did you have something to say about “BWCA and beyond?”

Not yet
I have nothing to say. I will have plenty to say in September about beyond.

I like it
I know I’m one of the newer members here and well under the experience level of most others. However I have to say I like this forum and most of the post I’ve read. The ones I don’t like I just stop reading. I think g2d has a point, it’s just not a valid one by most standards.

I am not a wilderness tripper, but I do hope to be one day. Right now I have work, kids, and other things that keep me from disappearing into the “wilderness” for a month in my canoe. What I can do are weekend trips. On these trips I can practice good habits for future wilderness trips like packing for a week to practice with the load, carrying bear spray and securing my barrel to a tree even though the odds are slim I’ll encounter a bear near DC.

I look to this forum for advice on trips, wether its a week on the Bloodvien river that I’d like to do in the next five years, or a weekend on the james that I’ll do this weekend.

Typos attributed to my IPad.

Scott

Like I said…
…Biscuit Eater.

The forum could be called “canoe &
kayak camping.” That would cover what’s actually under discussion.