West Branch Penobscot-Chesuncook

I’ve already posted this inquiry on the local paddling board, but I figured I’d check here too.

I’m doing an August trip down down the West Branch Penobscot River in August from Lobster Lake to Chesuncook Lake over 6 days and 5 nights (VERY slow pace). We’ve considered staying a couple nights on Lobster Lake, which we have done before, but this trip I was thinking of doing something different. My first choice would be to paddle a short ways up Caucomgomoc Stream where the river enters Chesuncook Lake and camping at one of the “Canvas Dam” campsites. And then doing some padding around either Brandy Pond or Black Pond. Anyone know what these campsites are like? Is this area worth the side trip?

Or would it be better to stay a couple nights at the Pine Stream campsite (a gorgeous campsite) and do some swimming off the rock and maybe a short day trip up Pine Stream?

I also thought of checking out Gero Island, but I’ve tasted the waves on Chesuncook during a howling northwest wind and would hate to get windbound out on Gero.

Any input welcome. Thanks!

-rs

Canvas Dam
I’ve never stayed at Canvas Dam but I paddled by it this spring and it looked like a very nice site. If you get the dreaded NW winds it will be difficult paddling into them to get to the site.

Canvas Dam
I’ve never stayed at Canvas Dam but I paddled by it this spring and it looked like a very nice site. If you get the dreaded NW winds it will be difficult paddling into them to get to the site.

Thanks!

– Last Updated: Jun-29-12 10:14 AM EST –

I got word that it may have a rather steep clay bank, but that's a minor issue for me if it is a nice site. If the NW wind kicks up, we'll just stay at Boom House. Or maybe check out Longley Stream.

Thanks for the reply

Sent you an email
Canvas Dam is one of my favorite sites on Chesuncook. Its way nicer to me than Pine Stream.

There are rock steps and no clay bank scrambling. There is a sandy beach.

Vote for Gero
The Gero sites are quite spectacular.

At the slow pace you are planning you could move through the river section a bit more quickly and allow extra time for any possible weather delays there.

The crossing there is not all that bad.

The trick to these big lakes is to stay off of them when the winds are beating them into a frenzy.

Even in foul weather you should be able to get along…albeit very early or very late.

If you haven’t ditched your gear at camp
…agree about waiting it out, but if you see a spot on the eastern shoreline…and can get everything unloaded, just off the eastern shore…even ~40-60’ is often a park-n-play zone with an empty boat…fun paddling, and if you flip…the swim is easy and canoe, paddle, and whatever will be headed one way…towards shore…a no brainer.

$.01

this is worth a look
http://www.chesuncooklakehouse.com/webcam.html

Thanks, Acre
Yeah, I’m familiar with the web cam, and have stayed at the Lakehouse a couple times. Of course, the webcam won’t be much help unless I have a way out there to access it, which I don’t…no cell service out there for the smot phone.

-rs

Update
Well, the Canvas Dam site up Caucomgomoc Stream is a very nice site indeed! Although the southern approach up to the site from where the sign is located would be daunting indeed (steep, 7’ high eroded bank with no steps), there is a nice sandy beach landing a little further upstream and some convenient tree-root and stone steps up to the site there. There is also another site just a bit further north of this site, with some stone steps. The site isn’t as nice though.

Beautiful location, lot of loons, moose, deer, great horned owls, eagles, coyotes…and a jumping mouse that decided to make a nest in our paper towels, lol! Also a ballsy red squirrel that had to be persuaded to move along with a rubber band.

This campsite is off the beaten path, and very quiet. I prefer Pine Stream for its swimming off the rock, but Canvas Dam is highly recommended.

-rs