Lightweight extended tripping food

enough calories?
You are probably going to want ~4000 calories per day, as you will burn a lot while paddling. More if you are paddling flat water (so currents not helping you achieve that 50 miles a day - truthfully 50 would be a big stretch for flat water).

Clif and Power Bars are maybe 200 calories each, so breakfast and lunch would get you 600 calories. You may want to look at meal replacement bars instead of regular energy bars. Only slightly larger than an energy bar, but twice the calories. I like ProBar.

That said, even switching to a meal bar for breakfast and 2 for lunch will barely scratch your caloric needs.

High caloric, but low volume, foods:

• look for pastas with no hollow space. Tube pastas (macaroni, ziti, etc.) should be non go - lots of wasted space in them. Strait pasta could be Ok, as it is relatively efficient. Grain style pasta, like orzo or cous cous, are best.
  • nuts are high energy, but they often have a lot of air space between them due to odd shapes. One way to make them smaller is have them in butter form - peanut butter, almond butter, etc.
  • eat dried grains, like instant oatmeal.
  • you can dehydrate lots of stuff if you have a dehydrator (or just use your oven, but that is less efficient). I think there was a recent article on this site on dehydrating foods. Some is available dehydrated (guess you could call jerky dehydrated meat).

Harvesting foods en route can save you space and provide variation for meals. Had lots of blackberries on a pair of trips I did in the Pacific Northwest. Even just getting a kelp salad added to the meals along the CA coast. Read up on what is in your area and bring some gear (like basic fishing gear). You could stick to safe stuff (so no mushroom harvesting if there are dangerous ones in the area you will be), and still find a lot. Fish, shellfish, wild rice, berries, etc.

geography
I am paddling the lower mississippi. I made fifty miles on the lower wabash, and had no problem getting fifty on the ohio river. So as long as I don’t get to exhausted that shouldn’t be a huge problem. I am doing a week on the the St. Croix next week, and I am trying some new foods out. I like pasta but the cook time is what concerns me. Right now I switch between a pocket rocket and jetboil, I haven’t decided which one I’m taking. Anyway as you all know those canisters take up a lot of space, and I want to take as little as possible. I am not a cook so this might be a stupid question, but what if I add the pasta and water to a naligene bottle in the morning and let it soak all day? In past trips I have taken a squeeze bottle of butter substitute, it adds some flavor. I do not want to take fishing equipment with me. I have taken poles with me on other long trips and just end up getting in my way.

If you haven’t tried freeze-dry
With the Mountain House and other brands all you do is just bring a cup or two to a boil and pour the water into the bag they come in. Then let them sit about 10 minutes and eat. The pancakes, stove top stuffing, and mac&cheese require more cooking time. The large canister of iso propane for my pocket rocket is good for 8 meals plus hot beverages for two people. That is four days cooking for two with each canister. Cooking for 1 you should get more meals than that.

I have no idea about soaking the pasta in a nalgene bottle.

backpacking
might want to check out backpacking foods. do a google search or http://www.backcountry.net/arch/at/9909/msg00100.html. you will find food averages out to about 100 calories per oz. at 4000 a day (5000 towards the end) comes out to 2.5-3.1 lbs per day. on most of my trips am OK with 2500 cal for the first 7 days, but when the hunger kicks in there is no stopping it. for pasta i would use like Knorr instant noodles and rice. packs of instant oatmeal do not have to be cooked, just wait about 15 minutes. i add raisins and nuts to it. lunch was 2 packs of tuna, bagel w/peanut butter, snickers or granola bar. i drank about 4-5 liters of water a day. i’ve done 2, 60 day drips, but i re-supplied every 5 days. have you considered a mail drop mid-trip?

KK

liquid option
I’ve had pretty good luck with the mix-with-water powders from Hammer Nutrition that are formulated for endurance events. http://hammernutrition.com/

I’ve also found that using a protein supplement shortly after I finish paddling helps my muscles recover better.

Think about real food
you need a balance of protein, carbs and fats, especially for long distance.

We just finished up a two week trip on a large river covering some six hundred miles. (the entire river is much longer at over two thousand miles). Its the scene of two endurance races. Checkpoint property owners report that those that are young tend to run hard and use only chemically energized foods that you find in the health food section. The winners tend to eat real food and paddle at a more measured pace. This pace covers some 500 miles in 56 hours.

Nuts dried fruits, dried meats and whole grains are going to keep you going. A Cliff Bar simply lacks punch.

Dont forget the water. We did some 65 miles in six hours one day with real food and remembering to drink two or three liters of water each. Another day was a Clif bar day and we simply forgot to eat. We were done after only 40 miles.

Too many carbs and too little water leads to a very bad paddling problem…constipation. Just another thought.

I paddle the BC coast…

– Last Updated: Aug-21-12 11:27 PM EST –

....2 to 3 weeks at a time.
I figure that I burn ~425 calories per hour.
Each day I eat:
Breakfast - 2 qty packets of instant oatmeal = 420 calories and 1/2 cups of water plus one cup of Starbucks Via instant coffee.
Approx 2 hours later I eat a Probar = 370-400-ish calories.
Two hours later is Lunch. A flour tortilla with salami and cheese + 425 calories.
Approximately 2 hours later I eat a Hammer Bar (~220 caloies and 9-ish grams of protein.
Dinner is freeze dried (add 1.5 - 2 cups) boiling water and eat out of a bag = 425 - 700 calories depending on the meal.
Whenever I feel myself flagging in between I take a hit (100 calories) of Hammer Gel from a jug that I carry in my PFD.
I can feel my energy level and when I need a hit I take it and feel the results.
I also budget 5 pounds of personal fat burn per week (I can afford it).
This works for me. I feel strong and paddle well using this program.

Nothing fancy. No snacks. No special meals.

I just returned from a two week trip on the BC coast feeling strong and was 10 pounds lighter. This plan works for me.

Jon
http://3meterswell.blogspot.com

Freezer bag meals
They may be too heavy for everyday but they would make a good treat. Their website http://www.trailcooking.com/

My own version uses 1pkg whatever flavor mashed potatoes you like, 1/4 c shelf stable bacon bits, 1 tsp chicken bouillion (low salt) optional butter powder (for popcorn), and a pack of chicken. makes 2 average or 1 large serving.

Good luck

Randy

Done both…
Real food and freeze dried.

I find freeze dried to be the best option because they don’t take up a lot of space, they are water tight until opened, they are very light, and the will not spoil.

A freeze dried one-serving mail will be balanced with protien, fat, and carbs that you need to maintain your energy, they are easy to prepare (boil water, add to pouch, set your tent and sleeping bag up, dinner is ready. They take up almost no space in your trash bag, there are no dishes to wash, and no special pots and pans to carry (only your pot to boil water in.)

As far as lunch and breakfast go, that’s really the place to vary your menu. I find Cliff’s bars and beef (or other meat) jerky to be a good breakfast (I usually eat the Cliff’s bars in camp, then gnaw on the jerky for the first 30 minutes or so on the water.) I also like bagles and peanut butter with pre-cooked bacon. For lunches, hard salami and cheese in a pita or tortilla is a good lunch, and for me at least, satisfies the craving for fresh food. Pitas and tortillas are great because they don’t squish, and you can carry several days’ worth in a smaller space than bread. And if they get wet, they don’t fall apart. I prefer pita, but they are both great.

Food
Cooked bacon is available. No refridgeration needed and the several small packets are great for 1 or 2 people. Weight is almost zero too. The uncooked stuff is available sealed but is much greater in weight and volume.

Quinoa is a super grain
One grain I would suggest is quinoa (keen-wha). It’s originally from the Andes and was a prized grain of the Incas.

Quinoa has excellent nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%–18%). Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. This is extremely rare for a plant source.

Quinoa is also a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. It’s a gluten free complex carbohydrate that is filling with a slow “burn” rate.

And it come in an instant form with a variety of mixes.

There are some great ideas here…

– Last Updated: Aug-21-12 11:35 PM EST –

.....and one thing that you have to figure out, aside from storage space, is what will work with your digestive system. Also, are you making a trip on fresh water that you can filter and use or salt water where you may have to find, filter and carry water.

A very important consideration is that what you take on an extended trip is that you will probably not be eating what you normally eat on a daily basis and your body may take some time to think about it, especially if you are considering using energy and food replacement bars as your main food source.

Some of these ideas, including my own, may be "unsettling" and most wilderness experiences aren't equipped to gracefully accommodate the realities of diet change so be aware and conscious of local and environmental requirements.

I clearly recall using pages from Mark Twain's "Roughing It" for personal hygiene due to a toilet paper shortage.

Maybe too much information but at one time I was really broke but needed to compete in a national sporting competition. I scrounged around for sponsorship and, not being a high seed (for a good reason), I didn't secure the support I hoped for but did find a meal replacement bar company to provide me with a diet very similar to what you suggested.

I can tell you that the support provided the required calories but kind of slowed my digestion (if you get my meaning). Kinda made me uncomfortable. I would never go that route again unless faced with Armageddon.

On the other hand if your trip diet produces loose bowels you have this other, environmental and resource intensive, problem and you may want to carry lots of toilet paper and be prepared to squat over a hole below the next expected high tide line. Am I being too graphic?

From my standpoint I am thinking about 4 weeks and supplies. If you are paddling on fresh water and can filter what you spend your day on that is a bonus because you don't have to carry a supply. Salt water will complicate your storage question.

I think that 4 weeks produces a supply issue and that energy bars aren't a reliable food source for that period of time. Resupply or the expectation of defining the limits of considerable gastric experimentation within testing parameters should be tested now and established before being planned and implemented.

Light weight extended tripping food
PB2 (powdered peanut butter), 1 6.5 oz plastic jar makes 15 servings of 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Mix 2TBS of powder and 1 TBS of water. If you need fat, it won’t get you there – only 13 fat calories (85% less fat than traditional pnut butter) and 45 calories per 2 Tbs and only 5g of carbs. If you’re paddling 50 miles, you probably want more carbs and fat. But if you like Peanut butter and chocolate, PB2 is available with chocolate – a 2 TBS dessert! Try googling Bell Plantation, Inc. for dealers near you who sell the item – it’s new.

Food for a month
The diet you propose would be a disaster. It is way to low in protein, fruits, vegetables and calories. I agree with the other posters, but they are being gentle in their responses. Add dried fruit everyday. Add raw vegetables for snacks and cooked ones for dinner. Double the quantity unless you want to weigh 165 pounds when you return.

Paddling and living outdoors uses a lot of calories. You are going to need 4500 calories a day, and sometimes more like 6000. Your plan sounds like about 2500 a day. Get some help with the meal planning or run the risk of getting cold, infections, compromised immune system, lack of energy, etc.

Help

– Last Updated: Sep-14-12 11:26 PM EST –

Thank you for your subtle suggestions, help is what I was looking for ppine. It sounds like you are an expert, and have done this before, what did you take? I am paddling the lower Mississippi in a prijion marlin. I have about 90 pounds to play around with. Right now I am 8 on sleeping gear, 6 on clothes, 15 on misc. gear, 15 liters of water. I am doing this solo so I don't want to leave the boat unless it is a last resort. I am basing my exploratory food menu on previous two week trips. I am worried about my nutrition that is why I posed the question. Thanks to everyone who has posted it has been a great help.

"Think about real food…"
This is good advice. Also important on a long trip that you get enough calories and for most people that means a LOT more than you get in your normal life.

Food Help
RedRocket,

I like to eat close to what I eat at home. Oatmeal and fruit, egg tacos, pancakes for breakfast. Flat meat, cheese, fruit, crackers, canned fish, jerky, nuts, Gorp for lunch. Dinners are cooked in one pot like pasta with meat, beef stew, enchiladas, fajitas, plus some salad. You can cheat with MREs, or dehydrated food for convenience, but I find cooking to be very enjoyable on boat trips. I would find a water filter device so you don’t have to haul all of that weight around. Plan on restocking groceries every week or so. Hope this helps.

Eat like the old timers.
If you really want to cut down on weight, you’re going to have to eliminate moisture. That means dry foods. Corn meal, dry beans, flour, pasta, etc. Salted pork, jerky, or bacon will add flavor. Get good at making frybread and buy a GSI 2 qt. LW pressure cooker. If you can supplement with fish or small game, maybe some berries, you’re doin’ it like the pioneers, and about as self-contained as it gets.

cannibal set-up

– Last Updated: Aug-18-14 8:32 PM EST –

A Powerbar for breakfast and two Powerbars for lunch on a four week trip???

You are 5'10" 200 lbs... just visualizing those proportions = a person who is used to eating three square meals and maybe a snack or two?...

My suggestion is to go alone or you might end up eating your companions. Sounds like a death march from hell.

Anyway, skip the pre-fab goo and gels. No matter the claims, they are mostly hype. Eat pure honey instead.

carry cans!

– Last Updated: Aug-19-14 10:38 PM EST –

I never got the concept of carrying dried food if your going to carry the water you need with you. Unless your getting your water from the river and filtering it I'd pack some canned food. You'll have some additional trash but you won't need to carry water to rehydrate the food- which is where the weight is. So you might as well just carry it in the cans. If your resupplying with water daily then that's a little bit different. I'd definately look to resupply food and even scout out an eatery or two along your route. It will be worth the trouble and provide a nice break. Food is a great motivator.

Before cliff and granola bars were available we made citadel spread and hudson bay bread. You can google either and come up with the recipes. You can pack a jar of peanut butter and use some drink mixes with sugar. Both are calorie laden.

Your body demands certain foods after awhile- hiking the AT many moons ago I hitchhiked from Sherburn Pass to the Rutland Vermont McDonalds. I ate a bunch of cheeseburgers and packed about 8 or 9 more which I ate cold for the next day and a half without refrigeration. Ice cream is another common crave when you start burning fats. So I second the suggestion to carry nuts.

I like to carry some loosener and binder foods as well-
I actually like dried prunes but they literally go right through me and cheese has the opposite effect so you can eat according to your bowel needs.

For packability I like the pepperidge farm bread. I found bagels mold pretty quick but do pack well.

Lots of stuff tastes good when you get hungry and start craving calories- raw ramen noodles, cold instant oatmeal packets, spoon fulls of drink mix.

I used squeeze parkay unrefrigerated for weeks on end and I'm still here.