Tiderace xcite S

no demo lol
huge balls, man, to drop that kind of coin on a boat you haven’t tried. Props.

srsly if you paddled a Greenlander which has its own beloved squirrelly moves, no worries re secondary in an ExploreS.

which layup did you get?

Xplore S

– Last Updated: Aug-18-12 5:22 PM EST –

Classic layup with keel strip and compass for $2500.
If for some reason I really didn't like it a resale
shouldn't be that big of a deal. But to really get
to know a boat you need a season of paddling it.

very fair price

– Last Updated: Aug-18-12 9:18 PM EST –

esp if it's a brand new boat.

Dealers are selling demo Tideraces in the Xcite and Xplore for $2300-$2800. Some w. compass or keel strip. In classic layup.

You did well.

The market is funny for Tiderace. The rave reviews are all out there, like when the Cetus was intro'd. As w. Cetus a number of instructors and coaches have picked up a Tiderace which for some ppl adds to the cachet.

Yet there are dealers in the Midwest and Fla who have had Tiderace demos for sale since May and haven't moved them even after dropping the price.

A midwest paddle shop is dropping the line and they quickly clearanced out all but one Tiderace boat in the heavy duty Hardcore layup.

The name isn't as well known as the other Brit makes and Tiderace dealers few and far between at the moment. In time this can change.

You may like the boat so well that it's moot anyway.

Agree it takes a season to really start to know a boat. C'mon back here sooner w. first impressions.

first impressions
Will do.

re: tiderace
Wow, it’s kinda sad that TR is having a hard time gaining traction in some places.

Wonder if it’d help them at all to have some rotomold boats out there? If price is the obstacle…

Xplore M
Had a review ready to post, then Safari hung and nada–haven’t gone back. I love the Xplore. Primary and secondary are both strong–not sure where this idea of ill defined secondary comes from? Secondary gets much better when loaded as would be expected. The kayak is very fast yet turns easily upwind or down when edged. It has very reassuring manners in lumpy wanter, surfs downwind easily, and is easy to control on a wave face at least in small surf. I’ve owned a lot of kayaks, but have paddled mostly OC Greenland kayaks for years. I bought the Xplore because I wanted a camping/expedition kayak. Was worried that I wouldn’t like it, but turned out the opposite. Turner Wilson and Cheri Perry paddle the Xcite–has replaced the BBK Aral as the go to camping/surfing kayak from what I can see. I picked the Xplore over the Xcite for speed and volume. From what I can tell the two main East Coast dealers–NY Kayak Company and Savannah Canoe and Kayak sell their stock right away. Still, there’s always the allure of the new kid on the block–we’ll see what sort of staying power TR has over the long term. Me, I’m a happy paddler.

Where
Is a Tiderace dealer in Florida?

re: where

– Last Updated: Aug-22-12 7:15 PM EST –

Oops... they actually do have dealers in Florida now (below). NM

I’d bet…
…that you are going to really like that TR. Just a couple of days ago I was talking with a guy that’s a high-level kayaker and he was going on and on about the quality of construction of the TR boats.

He also commented on how he liked the Xplore as a great all around kayak.

Best to ya…

Tiderace in Fla
I know someone in Fla who is a dealer with a small number of new and used Tideraces. PM me if interested and I will get him in touch w. you.

Tiderace gaining traction - or not
the real issue imo is that many of the places where Tiderace could be carried are already carrying VCP, NDK, and P&H. While we may enjoy parsing and celebrating their differences, overall there is simply a lot of overlap in these designs.

All four of these companies are in the higher price point for a new, non-discounted British seakayak (before goodies like compass, keel strip, special layups are added).

The usual dealer is a small paddleshop or outfitter that only has so much floor space and only so many dollars to be sunk into standing inventory. For them to carry Tiderace - a relative newcomer - usually means dropping one of the other more established British lines.

Not saying it couldn’t and isn’t being done but it is not a business decision to be made lightly. And the miniscule number of Tiderace dealerships keeps the selling prices high as the supply is low.

TR Xcite is a splendid yak
for dealers: http://www.tideraceseakayaks.com/index.php/dealers/usa.html

Xcite Review: http://www.tideraceseakayaks.com/images/stories/pdf/TideraceXciteReview.pdf

dealer
I know a dealer also. could be the same guy the other person is talking about. pm me if interested

Can you tell us who it is?
That would help everyone in Florida who’s interested in TR, not just this guy.

Good point
I think that’s part of it, yes.

For instance, probably the two best dealers in my area already carry a lot of good Brit boats– one carries NDK and Valley, the other has Valley and P&H. The latter ‘can get you a Tiderace’ to try out, but he doesn’t seem to have 'em in the store usually.

However, there are at least four other shops of note in the area who are also pretty good, and none of them carry any of the top British brands. In fact, all or most of these seem to carry Wildy, Dagger, Perception, and Necky (one carries Eddyline).

There’s also a few REIs (of course), and they too are into Wildy and Dagger, with some Delta.

Given that you can’t seem to turn around without tripping over a Wildy Tsunami or Tempest or a Dagger boat in these parts, I’m going to say that the ‘big boys’ of the kayak world (like Confluence) are having an impact on this as well.

Also, as all of these boats are relatively cheap (even the Tempest comes in rotomold) and that TR, unlike Valley, P&H, and NDK does not have a cheap RM boat, maybe that’s playing it to it as well.

Tiderace contact
he’s a friend of a friend who is getting a Tiderace Excite sooner or later from him. Because I don’t know if he is an “authorized dealer” I’m not gonna put his name and personal contact info out on any message board.

pm me with your contact info, and I’ll pass it along.

dealer
he is an authorized dealer. kissimee river kayak.

sailstcloud@gmail.com

dealer
I believe sweetwater kayaks is also a dealer now or so ive heard

Yep on Sweetwater
On their own site, they list several TR boats for sale.

They’re not listed on Tiderace’s site as a dealer yet, but many kayak manufacturers are slow to update their sites.

Valley’s a good example- they update once every couple of years, whether it needs it or not. =D

first impressions
Had xplore s out for a couple of short paddles. It

seems very stable, primary and secondary. Very

maneuverable actually quite loose, would make a great

rough water play boat unloaded and also great for covering

miles on day paddles flat or in conditions. Back to

the secondary, it does lock in quite good and gives

lots of warning before she goes, but when she does

go it’s quite fast almost like a nordlv. And rolls

really fast and easy, not quite as much pop at the

end of roll as some but rolls really nice for layback

rolls and the GP I was using. Speed feels decent on