Best Kayak Length

two thumbs up! (nm)

mostly inland waterways
99% of what I do/would be doing is on lakes.

Ideal for what?
You said Touring Kayak, but you didn’t really say what you want from the kayak. Do you want to cover a lot of distance? Camp from it? Fish from it? Take photos from it? Race it? Take it out on open seas?

“Best” needs a qualifier of some sort.

The Great Lakes?
The Great Lakes, where i do 99% of my kayaking have sunk a lot of big ships and can be just as challenging as the ocean ( minus tides and dangerous sea creatures).

Most kayaks 17ft+ can handle just about everything except narrow waterways and hard core white water.

Oh, yes!
It has a pretty large cockpit, and the (I don’t know if they are knee or thigh) pads extend down into the inside so that if you want they can be used as thigh braces, but if you get cramped, you can bring you knees up.

Awesome!
Thanks, Nelson. =]

In general, do you think it’s a semi-capable boat for a little bay/gentle-ocean-conditions action? At what point would you say, “Uh, I’m not going out in that with this”?

I have
no experience on the ocean or a large lake, so I shouldn’t say anything, but it has very good secondary and initial stability, and I would be comfortable trying it in 1-2 foot swell. Not sure about the open ocean, but I don’t think so.

my own preference
Having owned 10 solo kayaks from 9’ to 18’ (and every length in between) I can state that the two I use and like the best (and find most versatile) are both around 15’ long and 22" wide. Nice balance of speed and maneuverability in everything from rough lake and coastal waters to flat rivers and lakes and even up to mild Class II streams. I can keep up with any of my paddling buddies in longer boats and have a lot of fun on my own.

ideally
camping or long day trips

re: ideally
Sounds like you want an expedition boat then.

Those are generally 16 to 18 feet long, unless you’re a petite female, in which case you can go likely a bit shorter (Necky Eliza, Impex Mystic, etc).

Correct kayak length
corresponds to the weight one person can car load or carry to water by themself.

wrong question
You should be asking yourself that question.

That’s easy
17 or 18 feet long unless you are a short person. then 15 or 16 feet long.

Guy

Length
Somewhere between 15 and 18 feet.

14 feet is the best for races
I recently got first place in a race. I think they made a special category for me, because I was the only one to do the 20 miler in a 14 sit on top.

I’m pretty certain most of the 20 mile competitors past me last Saturday, so if you want to win races bring a 14 foot rec boat!

What boat were you paddling ?
Guy

currently paddling an 8 footer
but, I can’t keep up with my friends who are paddling 14 footers, duh!

I will probably end up getting something between 12 and 14 feet with a skeg.

ok then…
“I will probably end up getting something between 12 and 14 feet with a skeg.”

Alrighty then, given that and your previously stated desire for more of a touring/camping boat, perhaps look at stuff like the Venture Easky 15, North Shore Aspect, Necky Manitou 14, and Perception Expression.

Some might also add the Dagger Alchemy and P&H Delphin, and they’d probably do the trick, but they are more playboat-oriented than touring-oriented.

great source in Oakland
I realize Oakland, CA, could be right next door or 500 miles from you, but if you can reasonably get there , CCK Paddlesports is having an incredible sale with dozens of new and used yaks in stock, including my favorite mid-sized kayak, the Venture Easky 15. They have some used ones under $800. Good opportunity to compare several of the models mentioned in this thread.

thanks
for the advice, and suggestions.

I wish Oakland was closer, but I am near Pasadena