New to canoe fishing

Good morning everyone. just a quick question. i recently got an old town hunter 14ft tandem. i was curious if this is something that is commonly used in fishing or if some have used this model. ive read most prefer 119’s but since i already have this one i will probably end up just modding to my liking. didnt know know if there was anything to look as far as issues, concerns or positives… thanks Ed

fine for fishing
I am not familiar with that specific model but if you have it - then it is perfect for fishing. The boat you have and use is always way better than the one you don’t have or don’t use.

If you are going with someone else you are all set. You can pull into a spot on a lake and drift with the wind. Or if you prefer you can rig an anchor (5 lbs is usually plenty) but be sure it is off the end not the side as many of us have flipped a canoe pulling an anchor up the side. The best way for me is to have one person paddle while the other person casts. If you are solo, then sit in the front seat but facing the stern and paddle the canoe backwards. The usual problem of one person in a tandem canoe is that the weight is too far back and this will help trim the boat. You can also put some extra weight in the front (a collapsable water jug works fine) to help trim.

The only real advantage with a smaller canoe like the 119 is that it is lighter and easier to move around off the water. It is easier to load on and off your car and easier to get from your car to the water. If there are two of you the larger heavier tandem is no problem. If you are soloing with the tandem then you might want to think about methods for getting it on and off the car and might consider a small cart to get it to the water.

Now go and fish!

David

canoe fishing
Thanks!!!

My wife’s concern(more then mine) is i have a brand new MAzda3 without racks, i woud be using foam blocks, ratchet strap setup. She is concerned im going to scratch the paint…lol…personally i think with some extra padding for those just in case moments i should be fine.

When fishing out of a canoe solo im guessing one would bring a few rods so your not constantly swapping out setups

I used to have one
A Mazda 3 that is. You get used to scratching it.

If your boat floats, you can fish from it. I don’t know the model either, but you can fish from nearly anything. Some boats are more suitable to types of water than are other styles of boats. Don’t do a radical mismatch - for instance a white water play kayak for a long coastal paddle trip - and you’re in good shape.

Secure everything you want to keep. It’s only a matter of time before you take a spill. When you do, you’ll be grateful for having taken the time to keep things secured.

• Big D

cartop
ya i figured it was gonna get scratched anyways after a while and im not paying 300-400 for a roof rack. foam blocks look good to me.

ya i used to canoe a lot years back but have been busy with kids, life, military, ect but i swore this year i would devote more time to myself. lol…

My friend works at Bass Pro so i can get 40% off BPS stuff so im thinking a trolling motor may be in the mix as well …

don’t personally know the OT Hunter

– Last Updated: Sep-06-12 9:50 PM EST –

.... but have always liked OT's canoes for fishing .

The thing I like most about fishing from a canoe is the pace ... it's much slower than a motorized Jon boat or other motorized fishing types .

The old paddle in hand tends to limit how much distance you can cover and still get plenty of fishing done . I tend to work an area much more thorouly and peacefully when in the canoe , spend much more time casting and fishing and not allowing many a possible spots to just go zipping by as when in a motorized boat .

Not to say the motorized Jon boat isn't a great tool on certain waters , but the canoe definitely has the edge in it's own element .

Again , the canoe and it's pace tend to confine your distance in a days fishing , so one accepts that and just fishes more thoroughly , covers an area more thoroughly ... at least that's the way I feel about it , and I like it alot .

Enjoy more focused fishing from that canoe , more casting - less traveling the expanses of water (less boat ride - more fishing)

can see
i can see that.i live by 3 or 4 smaller ponds but then a pretty big river, (Taunton River, MA) so i get a bunch of different places to go.

Had to look the model up.
Looks like it once covered the niche now filled by the Osprey 14. Don’t see any reason it wouldn’t be fine for fishing from. A little cramped for tandem fishing - as all 14’ canoes are - but not terribly so. Appears to be a decent flatwater boat.

Just make sure the car roof is clean and the foam pads are clean, and you shouldn’t see much scratching.

couldnt find either
Ya i had tried looking it up before with no avail. i still haven’t found much info on it. its a nice canoe not to to heavy.something good to start out in and try to make it fit my needs…good call on the clean roof and pads

There may be some canoes
that are “optimal” fishing craft, but remember that people have been pressing whatever canoe they had into service for recreational fishing for at least 125 years and having a great time doing it. As long as it can get you to the spots you want to fish, has enough space for your and your gear, and is stable enough for your fishing style and location, it’s fine.

got info
Well i emailed Old Town and the very quickly responded with information on the Hunter canoe. and they also attached a page from the 1987 catalog with the info on it. So it weighs in at 53 lbs and has a weight limit of 505. not to bad considering it will be more then likely just me in it anyways.

i brought my daughter(7yrs) out the other day in a small pond. it was wonderful, only drawback i can find is the flat bottom so the wind really wanted it to swing around. also though to help next time im going to sit in the front seat and spin it…and get the nose down…lol…now comes the customizing…