Attention - Caution Newbs

-- Last Updated: Oct-01-12 3:35 PM EST --

When you post on this forum for guidance on "What kind of _______ should I get" you will get a good mix of other newbs, intermediates, and advanced paddlers.

However, 95% of posters will recommend what they want for themselves, and it will be the same exact ______ they own.

So, if you want to know how they like what they own, check out the REVIEWS.

root cause
I personally think you’re better asking such questions of more local people. The problem I see here and in many other non-paddling areas is that there are way too many different situations. We have ocean, lake, river. Very mellow or very wild. Long expeditions or just bird watching. We have people in cold areas and others in warm. Some are timid and some are adventurous. Each is surrounded by friends similar to them. So even those that know all of this will tend at times to forget (or not even know)just how different the situation of the person asking is.

add your location in your question
Like the question on winter gear I just answered, I have no idea which winter the poster is talking about. Miami or Michigan?

I try to add PNW ,pacific northwest or some other info into my answer to let people know I’m talking about local conditions.

But…
But, isn’t the Pamlico the best boat for everyone?

to answer your question
To answer your question you should get a Jensen 17’ and a ZRE 50.5" power surge light.

this isnt
Always true, I like to suggest stuff I would like to own.

Ryan L.

even higher chance
of hearing recommendations for a boat the poster wants to sell :slight_smile:

“Hey, I know the perfect boat for that, and I can give you a great deal on it too!”

Not sure about that
"So, if you want to know how they like what they own, check out the REVIEWS."

Aren’t they all rated as 9 or 10? They must LOVE what they have.

key to reading reviews
is less about their rating (yes seems like all 9+) but rather how close the reviewer’s situation is to yours. So the better reviews talk a lot about the conditions, the paddler and what they were hoping for.

The reviews are mostly terrible.
But if one knows how to read them, there are some facts to be gained.

Not so much, I think,
though it does happen. And usually I am sure the offer is an attempt to be genuinely helpful.

I think that’s the point
the OP is trying make.

I think that’s the point
I don’t have experience, but I know what I am aspiring to do. So I want to find someone that fits into what I want to do. Then I want to know “what they want for themselves, and the same exact ______ they own”.

The problem is the newbie identifying realistically the type of paddler they might be, and the advice giver also recognizing the type of paddler they personally are, as well as recognizing and appreciating other types.

If I look at the thread about casual day touring on lakes and estuaries, I have no idea what to recommend. The OP is pointing a type of kayak out (based upon what - price point, looks nice, size, room, perceived performance or something else? - who knows?), so a person could recommend the best in that range of kayaks. But for casual day touring on lakes and estuaries, I would want an efficient sea kayak at around 4 knots. Someone else may want a surf ski. I think the most important information is the energy level that a person brings to whatever physical outdoor activities that they currently do, and then what about paddling turns them on. That really defines how and where they will end up enjoying paddling, more than where they think they might like to paddle defines the type of boat they will be happy with. To me, “What kind of things do you do for fun?” will end up much more informative than “Where do you plan to paddle?” Everyone around my area would answer that they think it would be fun to paddle in the ocean. But if their typical activities don’t include physical exersion or outdoors in the elements or anything sounding like physical sports, it is incredibly unlikely that they are going to end up ocean paddlers. It sounds nice, but they just don’t realize what it takes yet.

What type of paddler are you, what do you use, and what would you like to use, can be some pretty good information compiled from several people.

Pretty Cynical
There are a dozen or so people here who give pretty good advice. Most of the time when people are asking for recommendations it’s for entry level gear, which most of the experienced paddlers have little or no interest in.

This thread may run and run,
The OP’s post is perhaps a bit negative but has a grain or two of truth. Unless someone has had particular experience (e.g.,working in the paddling industry or at an out-fitters, or was a member of a club with access to many different models of kayak or canoe), their ability to comment on the relative advantages and flaws of a wide range boats is probably quite limited. The rest of us can however say something about the boats we paddle/own. If we limit our comments to subjects we have direct experience of, and give some indication of the limits of our knowledge, then probably this is OK. Right?

Rubbish
I just recommended a boat I have paddled and never want own.

While it is a lousy boat for me, it might suit the asker’s needs perfectly.

Take an INTRO class
If someone truly wants to learn

they’ll take an into to kayaking class

from a local community pool site fall/winter months.

Asking in a forum is just like talk radio

• you filter what you want to want or don’t want to hear

good example…
For most I like your advice. But it shows bias like we all have. It assumes there’s a source of lessons near. The fall/winter in a pool part assumes a cool winter area. All of it assumes someone wanting more than to sit still fishing in a pond from a kayak or canoe. I fall into that trap all the time even as I try not to.

Y’know…
It is near impossible to make a good recommendation when someone doesn’t provide info about their likely paddling locale, background or area of the country at least - like is it the Florida Keys or Calais Maine… like the OPer here.

Most don’t write reviews.
Some regulars on this board have never written a review, even though they may own 20 boats.