Painting over epoxy

Will latex paint adhere to epoxy ?

Guy

Yes, if it’s the correct type

– Last Updated: Oct-02-12 7:07 AM EST –

Paints sold for boats work well over epoxy as do other oil-based paints. Interlux "Britesides" is commonly used on epoxy/fiberglass covered wood boats. It's easy to apply via the "roll and tip" method and it creates a beautiful finish.

Surface prep is the key to a durable finish. Amine blush must be washed off and the surface should be sanded smooth, then wiped with alcohol or lacquer thinner to make sure there is no oily residue or contamination.

Thanks
That is what I was hoping

Guy

Aren’t latex paints water based ?

Yes, I missed that
Latex paint isn’t good in wet environments, so I would never use it on a boat. You should use an oil-based or 2-part paint.

I thought that
once latex dries that it was waterproof? I guess I’m not sure how it would perform with constant submersion, but it seems to shed rain water just fine on my house.

“Latex” is a misnomer.
I don’t believe any paint manufacturer uses natural rubber as a binder anymore. Consumer water-borne finishes are pretty much all polymer-based now.

Performance is based on any number of factors including paint type, film thickness and relative hardness, adhesion to substrate, surface preparation, special primers, etc.

If it were me, I’d go with a product specifically designed for the application and follow mfr’s protocol.

Totally agree with you.