What is "rake?"

I asked this at the end of a different thread, so I figured not many would see it, hence new thread.

In terms of kayak design, what is rake? Is it another word for rocker? Or perhaps the shape (straight down vs. curved back) of the very tip of the bow from deck to bottom? Other?

angle of bow and stern
I believe it is the angle of the bow and stern. An extreme would be a plumb bow (perfectly vertical), such as what many surf skis have. This gives a lot of water line length, so good speed. But doesn’t help you get over kelp and such. If you put an angle, or rake, in the bow or stern, it makes it so the boat can more easily get over things, but also reduces the water line.

Stern matters for the same reason. My old Looksha kayaks, with a vertical stern so they could put a rudder on it, wouldn’t back up well in kelp beds and such, as the hull would catch on the plants. The Brit style boats I currently use have no problem with this, but need longer overall length to get same waterline length.

fall
Every Fall I ask my wife the same question.

got it

– Last Updated: Oct-03-12 3:14 PM EST –

thanks!
(got both)

the term “rake” is often related to …
… a slant off of the level in some fashion . When an old Coup is hot rodded the rear is often set up higher than the front , hence it said to have a pleasing looking rake . The facia boards that trim a roof line on the gable end (shows pitch of roof) are refered to as rake boards .

So I don’t know exactly how the term relates to a kayak , but It probably is in a similar manner to do with asthetics and looks .

2.A fashionable or wealthy man
A fashionable or wealthy man of dissolute or promiscuous habits.

Rake
In terms of kayak description it refers to the angle of the stern or bow and not the rocker. It would be possible to have a completely flat hull and a raking bow, but why?

One significant advantage of a raking bow and stern is that the more weight you put in it the more you lengthen the waterline.

stem angle
also used to describe such.

a male prostitute
or the upsweep of the bow or stern