Market for used composite long boats?

These are 2003 Perceptions.
I will sell them and it will be at a fair price to the buyers and me. I have patience.

I did reply to you regarding the Advantage the same day you requested. Sale is pending on it - should be picked up on Sunday.

Hard sell
What I notice about Craigslist ads for 17 and 18 foot kayaks is that they very often say, “Used once or twice, stored indoors for last three years” or something to that effect. I think that indicates that some people buy long kayaks because they dont really understand kayaks (especially speed) or their own needs. They get them home and figure out what it takes to transport and paddle them and they give up quickly.

“Inland in the Northeast” often is about the same as seaside, as the large lakes have near-ocean conditions at times. Still, people realize that you don’t necessarily need a 17’- or 18’ kayak for those conditions, so it’s a hard sell. Some manufacturers are making seaworthy kayaks in the 13’ to 15’ range. Hardest sell is long kayaks in colors like black, white, and gray.

Less spending money in general
It’s not limited to composite sea kayaks. I’ve sold a bunch of things on CL. In the beginning (6-7 years ago) I would get exactly what I asked for and the buyers handed over cash, happy with their end of the deal. Later, they nearly all tried to bargain the price down from its already-reasonable quote, or they would play waiting games. Still later, other items priced at similarly good deals would get very few bites, just spam or looky-loos.

I figure it’s a sign of the hard times. The glass boat I want to sell will sit unused until someone is willing to pay the half-off-new price I’m asking. I’m not going to yard-sale it, though if I knew someone who really wanted it and would paddle it (not “flip it”–resell it at higher price) I’d consider selling it for slightly less. Might have better luck now that I’m in an area with many more sea kayakers, but I wouldn’t bet on that.

BTW, if I estimated demand for types of kayaks based on what I see now, I would come to the strange conclusion that everybody wants a SOF or wood kayak. It’s not a national trend but has more to do with there being so many DIYers around. Homemade roof racks, toppers, campers, all kinds of boats…not to mention buildings, furniture, and more.

Market might be saturated, too
Nobody thought sales of mtn bikes would slow down, but they did. There comes a point when dealers have gotten used to moving LOTS of stuff during the uprise years, then the flat and downturn years seem horrible to them. Despite the fact that some Pnetters own lots of sea kayaks, most people have only 1 per person.

My thoughts
I just bought a Carbon Fiber Current Design Extreme, a little over a year ago. It was used but in near mint condition with a paddle for $1600. It is the first sea kayak I have owned and really the first time I have been sea kayaking since 20 years ago.

At 19’ 8" it is a beast to transport. I store it in the back of my house on a rack. The route through the garage and the sunroom is 19’ 8.5" or it feels like it when I put it away.

If I could get similar performance in a boat 3 foot shorter it would be nice. But I got a lot of boat for the money.

I do believe SUP has taken a chunk of the industry but a lot of those people would not be on the water if it meant hauling a nearly 20 foot boat through the sunroom and garage. I don’t know if the market is growing but the number of great new boats and manufacturers seems to be. There has to be a glut somewhere and I think this will affect the price of higher end but “old school” used boats first

Here’s a wrinkle
If you can have two kayaks, one can be the long, fast, trip or fitness boat. The other one can be much, MUCH shorter and easier to transport. Let’s face it–15 ft is shorter than 18 ft but it’s still a PITA to move around. But if the short one is only 6 to 9 ft long, that makes a huge diff in ease of transport.

I use a WW kayak for all pool rolling sessions and a lot of pond practice, as well as (formerly) paddling it in a WW play park. Just slide in the back of the truck and go. Also easy to shoulder and move around inside buildings or tight spots. Not to mention that you can actually paddle it in a pool, not just roll in one spot.

Coronaboy has always had a thing …
against Perceptions.

Don’t pay any attention to him

Guy

That’s funny…
My screen name comes from my first boat. A Perception Corona…no not from the beer… I still have that boat and bought it cause it was the best outfitted boat in it’s price range at the time 13 years ago. I really wanted a Shadow, but I wasn’t gonna buy a boat that needed a pipe running it’s length for support. I might as well just bought a Coleman canoe for 1/4 the price…

Leave the truck at home.
“I use a WW kayak for all pool rolling sessions and a lot of pond practice, as well as (formerly) paddling it in a WW play park. Just slide in the back of the truck and go.”

My WW boat fits inside my Acura Integra. My sea kayak hangs 4 feet past my SUV.

I only have a sedan!
I could theorectically fit my WW boat inside (did it once when I forgot the tie downs). But it would take 1/2 hr to jiggle everything around. So I put it on the roof instead.

Same for my 16’ seakayak.

The beauty of a small car is, no matter how short my kayaks, it won’t fit inside in practice. So there’s no subconcious pressure to limit the length of what kayak I want to PADDLE!

The kevlar Shadow don’t need no
stinking pole down the keel!

A much nicer handling boat than the plastic shadow.

VERY TRUE…
But I was responding to a post that said I wasn’t cool with Perception boats… what ever …as I pm’d you, I never got a response from you and I was very interested in the Advantage but it really doesn’t matter as you sold it… I’m on roadruunner so it’s not like I don’t get responses from my mail…

Very few Pnetters…
left from that time…

I remember being interested in the Perception Sole as one of the few kayaks for smaller paddlers (along with with mstic, tchaika, vela, rumour).

I always thought picking the name of a boat as one’s handle, e.g. you and Dr. Disco, is like tatooing your first love and “mom” on your biceps and/or chest. More likely than not, obsolete if not regretable… :slight_smile:

sing

Got out on the coast there yet?
Are you in your new house in WA?

Selling specialty kayaks
When trying to sell a kevlar Pintail and an ocean cockpit Outer Island both with only minor cosmetic issues, I’ve certainly had the experience of little or no interest either in our paddling club, eBay, or on PNet despite ridiculously low prices. Plan to try next year at the East Coast Canoe and Kayak Festival–maybe an enthusiast audience will be a better bet. Haven’t tried Craigslist in NC as I’ve mostly seen Dick’s Sporting Good plastic rec boats.

On the coast but NOT in the house

– Last Updated: Oct-08-12 5:22 PM EST –

It's not finished yet, so I'm renting a tiny cabin with about half the household in storage. Truck and boats in storage, too, so I have to bike to them first before paddling. I'm getting around by foot, bike, and bus for everything *except* kayaking. Husband, dogs, and rest of household will move when the house is done, which is still a few months off.

When our house is done I'll be able to cart boats to the nearest water. Will still always have a truck, though--want to paddle someplace else once in a while, too! And camp from it on the road.

Fine if you have 2 at your disposal (nm)

At the time…

– Last Updated: Oct-09-12 1:20 PM EST –

I tried a few different "handles" and none were accepted as they were already taken.... so I put that one in and it was accepted....I've got no tattoos, no earings , no body art.... what can I say... I do have a love of paddling as I use many different craft....Come on Sing... are You getting somewhat personal here? There might be many here who choose stuff to leave us to irrationally come to perceptions about others. Maybe my biggest mistake here was to ask how many use this site during their working hours. SO.... where does "Sing come from...." As an addendum, I liked the Corona a bit more than the Sole' although they both had the same outfitting....again, the best of what I saw in the offerings... I probably was a better fit for the Sole' then...... not now...gained about 15 lb. since then...

Nothing Personal. Just Noting…
Back then I had a thought someday you would likely not be paddling a Corona solely, or at all. Ditto Dr. Disco with his Riot Disco. Same with the one with the former handle, Tempest170. Not a big deal. <br />

“sing” is my given Chinese name. Haven’t had that taken in any of the boards I had/have participated in.

sing

Congrats.
It had to suck to fall in love with seakayaking and live so far from the ocean.

I still working on buying/moving to a house near my homebreak. I want to be able walk over, surf post nor’easter dawn patrols and then be able to take a bus or ride to the subway station and catch the train to work. No craziness with digging out to get to the break after a snow storm. That’s the current dream at least.

sing