how to price a canoe

I have a 1951 wood and canvas Old Town Canoe. It’s in OK shape but needs to be restored. How do you go about pricing it for sale. I love it, I want to make sure it stays a canoe and doesn’t become book shelves but I want to be fair and I can’t move it again.

Please advise!!

Maybe look at the WCHS classifieds
and see what others are asking for similar.

http://wcha.org/pp-classifieds/showcat.php?cat=3

And then discount it significantly if you really need to move it.

Your local market can be a big factor.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

– Last Updated: Oct-15-12 3:08 PM EST –

A good place for you to do some research(beside pnet), is the Wood Canoe Heritage Association.

Speaking for myself, I would not even consider venturing a guess on your canoe's worth; having never seen it, and knowing nothing about it's condition.

Several years ago, I purchased an early 1960s, wood/canvas, Chestnut Pal for approximately $250.00. Generally speaking it was in very good condition; it did have issues with a few ribs, and the canvas needed to be replaced.
I got it for that price, which I considered to be(a steal of a deal) because the seller(grandson of the canoe's original owner)knew that I intended to restore the canoe. The seller was the one who suggested the price I paid for the canoe..........

I got a bargain deal with the restorer, with help from a friend who used the restorer on a regular basis.
When the restoration was done, and the initial cost of the canoe was added to the restoration cost; I had a total of approx. $1,000.00 invested.
Again, I considered that (a steal of a deal), and I still do.

Restoration can be very expensive.It is not too difficult to spend more than the canoe will be worth after it's restoration, if you aren't careful.Some canoes that have not been well cared for over the years can turn into money pits.

There is no gurantee that a buyer will not turn the canoe into bookcases after they own it, but those people will typically make a ridiculously low offer.

I still own my fully restored, thousand dollar Chestnut. No plans for it to be "book cased" anytime in the near future.

BOB

How much?
Here is a good primer on the subject:

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57-How-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth

Contact DougD
Make him a deal he can’t refuse. :wink:

What model?
What model is it? What are the problems that would need to be addressed to bring it back to excellent?

Contact OTC with the # stamped into
the stem. They will provide a copy of the build sheet if they still have it.

value of OT wood and canvas
camp76,

I have a similar boat from about 1953, a Guide 18. I paid $500 for it and worked on it some to make it serviceable. I have used it on many trips and place the value at only about $800-1000. YOu can look up similar priced boats on the WCHA website. Wooden Canoe Heritage Assoc. A similar boat that has been restored with new canvas and replaced ribs, etc is only worth around $2000-3000 depending on the quality of the restoration.