Your favorite paddle making tool?

My Molds : )

Patrick at ONNO Paddles!!
grin

Not sure he’ll like bein’ called a tool though.

I aspire to a …
crooked knife.

Stanley Surform
Comes in different sizes and find both the straight and curved blades really great! Other one is a microplane barrel sanding bit for my drill. Will spring for a microplane straight blade for my Surform tool soon. These things carve beautifully.

Cash
I pay cash for my Lumpy paddles. I throw in an extra twenty 'cause Bill doesn’t charge enough.

Sounds like a real ‘handy’ crowd.

– Last Updated: Nov-07-12 11:40 PM EST –

I looked up my draw knife and it is an antique that sells for $45-$60. My other favorites are an electric plan, a high speed sander , and a jig saw.

If you are talking GPs…
Since you are talking looms, you must be making a Greenland Paddle. For GPs, the block plane is the coolest tool. Simple, precise and feels elegant in your hand as it shaves the paddle into shape.

~~Chip

Plane and Spokeshave
A small hand plane, a straight-edged spokeshave, sandpaper - add wood , instant GP…lol…

Can’t live without
my low angle block plane.

spokeshave
unless you count my Japanese waterstone

I’m Not Totally Skill-less
If you asked me about my favorite paddle maintenance tool I’d say it was that very, very fine steel wool. After I sand out the scrapes and dings and I re-oil, I rub out that ugly gloss with the steel wool. I really like the look and feel after I do that.

wood burning tool and Sharpies
so i can customize them.

tools
Low angle block plane and random orbital sander.

Definitely a spokeshave

– Last Updated: Nov-09-12 7:24 AM EST –

I have several of them for different purposes (rough cuts, finish cuts, concave, convex).

However, if I could only have one tool, it would be a high-quality block plane, as it's more versatile.

paddle making tool
When making paddles I start with a drawknife, use a block plane the most and finish with a spokeshave. Like Brian, if forced to choose just one tool it would be a high quality block plane.

Anyone new to making Greenland paddles making would be well served with Brian’s excellent book “Greenland Paddles Step by Step”.

Dave

I like a good
Rasp and files. I do much of my shaping with them on bows and flutes and animal carvings. I also have block plane, spoke stave and draw knife. I have not made a gp yet, but plan on doing so.

If it had to be one tool only
It would be a draw knife or a spokeshave. With either I could, given adequate time, fashion a respectable paddle from a flat slab of wood.

Spoke Shave
My favorite is an old no-name spoke shave I bought at a barn sale in the Finger Lakes, $10. It has an adjustable shoe, letting you vary the cut. It looks much like a Stanley #53. I find it lets me tune the cut depth for the varying grain of a piece of western red cedar.

A close second is a Stanley 60 1/2 low-angle block plane. It’s fun to prospect for these vintage tools on eBay.

Alan

Angle Grinder
Angle grinder with a blending pad. I’ve since bought a new plane but the angle grinder worked very well for rapid shaping.

Power tools for paddle making

– Last Updated: Nov-11-12 6:48 PM EST –

If you choose to use power tools for paddle making, the power hand planer is especially effective in Greenland paddle making. Random orbital sanders are effective in making smooth surfaces but produce copious amounts of dust.

One should be aware of the danger of power tool dust. Red cedar is especially dangerous for developing allergic reactions, but all wood dust is potentially dangerous to lungs. If you use power tools, or sand much, buy a high quality dust mask. Use it religiously, change clothing and shower every time after finishing and throw clothing into the laundry. Last, swab out your nose with a wet q-tip to get the dust that snuck under the mask. I wasn't so advised or so smart years ago. I now have a mild allergy to cedar dust from days spent in a wood canvas canoe repair shop 20 years ago (so old so soon, so smart so late).

I now choose to minimize the use of power tools to reduce dust exposure, preventing my WRC dust allergy from becoming any worse. I also saver the quiet, greater safety, and enjoyment of using sharp quality tools to accomplish the same product that power tools would. Being retired, the somewhat longer time needed to use hand tools instead of power tools isn't a problem.

Following the above recommendations, I can, and do make WRC paddles with no allergic reaction, using hand tools and minimal hand sanding.

Dave