Kayak Boots

Caution - Kayak Boot Soles
Depending where you live, paddle, put-in, take-out,

keep in mind what the terrain is like and what

you’ll be walking over most of the time.

Angular shaped sharp rocks are no fun to walk upon

with soft/thin soled boots or kayak socks.

Boat ramps covered in algae can be very, very slick.

Muddy, silty, grassy, steep slopes, etc., etc,

It get pretty “personal” what you like, use, want.

SCUBA shops often carry great footwear.

I like these quite a bit:

NRS Paddle WetShoe

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2307&pdeptid=1169

Boots
I am a 11.5 shoe so I would probably need a size 12 boot.

Both

– Last Updated: Oct-25-12 7:16 AM EST –

I use the Neosport Explorer boots, and one of my paddling friends has the NRS Boundary. Both are warm, waterproof, and have worked very well for the relatively short portages we encounter. I use Smartwool socks under mine; he uses Thermaskins. We both feel they're among the best purchases we've made.

Neither of us has very large feet, so under-deck fit has not been an issue.

gnatcatcher

Alistairs Boots
If you still have them, what are you asking for the boots and how high are they?

Boundry boots
I wear them all winter and would recommemd them. Like others posting here I also wear them with socks(Menino wool). One of my kayaks has a toe controled rudder and there is no problem with control.

alistair’s boots
my boots are size 11, and I’d sell for $30 (50% of original price)

http://www.campmor.com/neosport-explorer-neoprene-boot.shtml?source=CI&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=45566

Chota Mukluk Lights work well for me.
I’ve been using only them since I got them last March for both kayaking and canoeing.

Much more flexible than the Chota Quicklace Mukluks that I’d been using for the previous 4 years.

NeoSport
boots are well made and have proved to be very durable. I’ve worn the same pair each Winter for 5 years. They have a flexible sole that’s very comfortable in the boat but not so great while walking on sharp rocks. There’s always a trade off.

The soles are wearing thin after all this time but they are still watertight. As with most brands, you may want to order a size up from your regular shoe size.

I love those
I also have a pair of booties but I almost never use them. Crocs work from May through most of September. Then there’s a narrow window when booties are good. By the end of September something taller is needed. So if price is a concern I would get only Chota Mukluks because they keep you warm and dry up to the knee.

Some conditions require booties in summer though (sea kayaking with rocky landings).

NRS
I have the Boundry Shoes and a pair of the boundry socks.the socks are great and the boots just as good.

plenty of support and good flex in the boots.

Neosport
I opted for a size 12 of the Neosport boots for $60 from Amazon. I also ran to Rutabaga here in Madison and picked up a pair of the Icebreakers socks (merino wool). Should have my boots by Thursday so I can use them Friday for fishing.

Boots - safety issue
I have the boundary shoe/boots myself and found them to be very warm and comfortable. However, I was cautioned by a more experienced paddler that if you come out of your boat - that these boots will fill up with water and either come off your feet or weigh you down and make self or assisted rescue that much tougher.

Anyone have personal experience with safety issues regarding these high boots?

I was thinking about you (the OP) today
since we were wearing our NRS boundary boots and thought I would drop you a hint.

If you do get them or Choata Mukluks, make sure to wear a pair of nylon, (or equal) socks with them. It makes it much easier to get them on and take them off.

Guy

Boots Safety
I can not speak directly of the NRS boots.

But my Choata Lite Mucklucks worn over my NRS wetsuit take on almost no water during relatively easy stepouts/swims. Less than 1/4 cup in my last 10 minutes bouncing down the Farmington below Goodwin Damn.

It’s easy enough to take a swim in yours and see how that works for you.

Neoprene against neoprene works
for a better seal than neoprene against nylon or other dry pant or dry suit material.

Chotas seal better with wetsuits than dry suits.

Must depend on who’s feet they are on
I have two versions of Chota lace-up models, and have never seen any need for special socks to aid in getting them on and off. In fact, they go on and off far easier than ordinary hiking boots (whether high-top or low-top), for which special slick-surface socks aren’t needed. I am a slender person, but others have mentioned here in the past that the “fat-taper” uppers of Chota boots make them go on and off with ease. Anyway, I always wear wool socks with a polypro liner sock under them. Wool is better than any other material I’ve tried when it comes to warmth, but also are amazingly cool compared to other materials when it’s “too hot” for warm socks. The polypro liner sock is just an easy way to keep the wool clean.

Mukluks
Anyone’s - best for winter paddling if you are talking northeast temps.

Brooks
Topkayaker has them on sale:

http://topkayaker.net/TopKayakerShop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_126&products_id=906

Same here, GBG
Down here in Florida our winter day temps can go from the high 30s to the 70s in a few hours, and with my Chota mukluks and smart wool socks, I’m comfortable from one extreme to the other. And I’ve never had trouble getting the mukluks on or off.

I’ve got Chota mukluks and NRS Boundary boots. I like the Boundary boots best. If you go with either, be sure you try them on before buying, because their sizes aren’t very accurate. Be sure to allow room for socks.

I used to wear regular socks inside the boots but switched to neoprene socks and they are all I use now. The neoprene socks should also be oversized enough to allow for additional warm socks if you paddle in really cold temps.

The only thing about the Boundary boots that might improve them a bit is if they were just a bit higher like the Chotas.