great service fromThermos

I have a thermos that I use almost daily. I make a pot of coffee and take it to work in my Thermos. Go winter paddling and take a thermos of coffee to

warmup with on breaks. Recently the Thermos stopped keeping the Coffee hot. Called Thermos and they said “send it back”. The week after sending it back I got a new replacement on my doorstep. The amazing thing is that when they said life time warrantee they were serious. This is the third time they replaced the thermos. Once from a drop where I screwed up the cap and offered to buy another one ("send it back ")once when I dropped it and it stopped keeping stuff warm and now this time where it just stopped keeping stuff warm.

Good job Thermos!

My thermos
is 29 years old. Never had to replace anything, though I notice the O-rings are looking a little worn. I will ask them for replacements.

Thermos items used to keep liquids
hot to warm for more than a day. Now I’m lucky, when new is purchased, if it stays hot for hours.

Anyone know of a ‘thermos’ type unit that really keeps liquids HOT for more than 5-6 hours?

Thermos items used to keep liquids
hot to warm for more than a day. Now I’m lucky, when new is purchased, if it stays hot for hours.

It’s great to know they stand behind their products, but they just aren’t like they ‘used to be’.

Anyone know of a ‘thermos’ type unit that really keeps liquids HOT for more than 5-6 hours?

Dewars Flasks
The catch with the old style units were cost

and breakage issues of the interior liner.

A true dewars flask of lab grade is around 200 dollars.

Simple double walled metal construction gets the job

done with no lawsuits of burnt lips and tongues.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/funranium

The old-style glass vacuum flasks
are the best. The stainless versions, not so much.

Awesome, seriously… nm

Nissan’s Thermos
I have one that I used for desert winter car-camping. With boiling water stored before bedtime, about 12 hrs later the liquid was still hot. I helped it a little by putting the bottle on a foam or cardboard flat instead of directly on the truck bed. You can probably help it even more by wrapping in a blanket or foam.

Glass still available
There are still a hand-full of Thermos models with glass flasks available.

Do you pre-heat the container?
Perhaps you are comparing them to the old models with the glass insert? The specific heat of steel is quite a bit greater than that of glass, so the need to pre-heat the container is greater. Without pre-heating, a good bit of heat is lost just balancing the temperature of the inside layer of the container with that of the liquid you wish to keep hot. It really makes a huge difference if you pre-heat with boiling water.

A different kind of “Scotch” guard, eh?
With such copious (Sorry Topher, stole your trademark there.) cold-keeping capacity in glass (Wish I could afford that 1900 ml monster, thus retiring the two-ton, pewter-lidded ceramic Bavarian Bilge Barrel I occasionally cart in canoe), one has to wonder, “Why in the hell are they cartin’ kidneys about in Playmates!!!?”

“Deliver the kidney!

Deliver the kidney!

Perpendicular Teeth, oh baby,

Perpindicular Teeth.”

Poetic inspiration, Charlie.

– Last Updated: Nov-28-12 8:37 AM EST –

Great service
from Thermos
I thrill to their chill,
replacing
defacing
of theirs that I kill,