What's the 'It' Boat in Sea Kayaks?

one you can stand up on.
Ryan L.

Their isn’t one
Romany, Nordcap, Capella all fought for attention.

Now it is XPlore, Cetus, Aries, Pilgrim.

In my opinion they are all junk. What you need is some good plastic that is durable and expedition ready. So for me it might be an Alchemy, Tempest, or Scorpio. But only the Alchemy is comfortable, so the rest are not really useful at all unless you take the seats out to get the deck height you need.

Sh…
…it’s on the tip of your tongue.

Gross posts…
are gross. :frowning:

Is the combination of tongue and that substance something you think about often?

Ew.

Hummm, I’ll play.
I get what you’re saying or trying to get at. Yeah, yeah, the perfect boat is the one that fits you, but the original poster tossed this out for discussion.

In my circles it seems like a lot of people are talking about the Tiderace line and it seems to be the hot boat line right now.

I think there are more companies playing with thermoform and that material is picking up speed.

I think companies are finally taking paddler feed back seriously and are putting more effort into multi-sized boats and producing HV and LV versions of classic designs. Along with kayak design you’re also seeing companies who are building on the success of the PH dolphin and you’re seeing medium length boats with rocker and more bow volume to surf and play in rocks and tideraces.

I think that Greenland paddles are hotter now, but overall interest in Greenland style, Tulik hard core paddling has peeked. I think people making their own Greenland paddles is picking up steam. It still has it’s hard core niche groups, but I see more people using modern boats and gear with Greenland paddles. Just my two cents.

Quite hot now
Sterling Reflection

Joking aside
I do know of a kayak I think is very innovative and that I would love to have. It is the Epic V6 Tourer. So far as I know there is nothing else like it. But I also know there would not be a ground swell of enthusiasm from Paddling.net’ers for my choice. At least not now. But I think that surf ski style touring kayaks and wing paddles are the future. Except, of course, for the Pamlico 140, which is now the Pungo 140.

Kayak in a box
Celia, ask and you shall receive. Not quite a box, but you could fold it in your trunk.

http://www.orukayak.com/products/oru

condolences on their recent fire =(

Cool box!
It even has a handle…

Origami kayak

– Last Updated: Dec-10-12 9:34 AM EST –

Been eyeing the Orukayak myself. Not that I don't love my Feathercraft Wisper (and consider it the "Ur" kayak, at least for my purposes), but the "kayak yoga" required to assemble it can be exasperating, especially on a hot day.

The major problem with the Orukayak is that for now it is a "pig in a poke". They have been raising capital for production by asking people to pre-pay for one (sort of buying "shares"), sight unseen for the most part. It is relatively cheap as folders go, even as kayaks go, at around $850, I think. It is obviously a clever design but only time will tell if it is durable and functional in a range of conditions.

Back to the question, there are any number of suberb boats out there with a high "I want one of those" factor. But in my mind the biggest obstacle makers need to tackle in building truly desirable boats is making the danged things lighter.

Yes, Lighter
Someone posed the question recently… What’s next for paddling?..Mr. Stamer replied ‘lighter’ for competitive reasons. I replied ‘lighter’ for just less hassle and misery reasons.

Yeah, the IT boat is going to be a light boat.

sea kayaks
Its been a sport and a way of life for many thousands of years.

I like wood boats by Pygmy and Chesapeake Light Craft, especially the longer, faster boats and the Greenland designs.

‘it’ is not a single boat anymore
It’s a quiver of boats due to the specialization of hull shapes. A rock-garden, surf or play boat and an expedition boat.

Can’t be answered
This question really can’t be answered. It’s whatever makes you smile. There are many that can do a little of everything but not one kayak that can do it all. I have six kayaks because I enjoy the variety. Each one is a little special in it’s own way. :wink:

too broad
Even in the automotive world there are “it” rides for different uses. Heck, I don’t think I could pick one “it” boat for sea kayaking. An Epic 18X and a Romany Surf would satisfy me.

I’m very interested in that boat
I’m hoping to demo one this spring. Very intrigued. Wondering about increase in potential hull speed vs. being exposed on weeklong trips.

Good answer
Somebody gets it. :wink:

so it’s only about material?
If the Xplore, Aries, and Pilgrim came in plastic, would they still be considered “junk” to you? (the Scorpio is ‘sorta kinda’ the Cetus in plastic, depending who you ask & how exacting they are).

Not attacking, just askin’. I wouldn’t mind seeing those boats come out in RM or thermoform myself, though I’m certainly not holding my breath.

Define “it”
- If by “it”, implies a boat that does everything better than other boats, it doesn’t exist. The list of “best” in any particular category are not the same for other characteristic. So there’s not one boat that’s better in all area.

• But if by “it” is a boat that allows enjoyment on water, then any boat would do. OK, any boat that’s sea worthy and can be handled predictably in skilled hands. That means just about EVERY single sea kayak on the market.

Each may have different characteristic. But all will put a smile on your face!

• A common criteria for “the” boat (not “it” boat), is a boat with a wide performance envelope, i.e. performs well in many area, though not necessarily “best of the breed” in any single area. That’s where the name of Romany (Explorer), Norlow etc. comes in.

These are boats that, if you can only have one boat, they’re the most balanced COMPROMISE!