One of this weeks repairs.

Nice “slap it on” repair job. Not certain what she’ll look like when I’m through with it.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151275505172042.491480.88919327041&type=1

NVS
This one has no vital signs; bury it!

: )
Huge place in the family’s heart for this canoe. She shall ride again.

Rob, I promise
to bring my Tupper back before it gets this bad.

suggestion
Just cover the cracks with Gorilla Tape and slather some truck bed liner over the top of it and she will be good to go.

It looks like it floats…
what’s the problem?

Patented …
Jerry Stelmok holds the patent for the Gorilla Tape/Bed Liner Repair Technique. Otherwise that’s what I’d do.

Geez Rob
That looks like most of the crap I deal with! :wink: Will be interested to see how it turns out! What kind of tool do you use to get the “cracks” even?

dougd

Updated pictures.
Doug…see photos for answer. Missing from photos is the bracing strapped up against the exterior side of the fractures, too.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151275505172042.491480.88919327041&type=1

Opps…deleted someones post…
Deleted someones post by accident.

I won’t take it personally.

– Last Updated: Dec-07-12 10:40 AM EST –

I know you guys have connection issues up there.

Do Verizon phones work in Waitesfield yet?

neat
I like the wood braces held by the cam straps and bar clamps idea.

I have generally used clear packing tape to keep broken edges in alignment but I found the hot glue gun idea intriguing. Have you had any difficulty getting the glue residue off or had any trouble with glue residue interfering with epoxy curing/bonding?

I couldn’t tell what your patches were but I assume they were fiberglass. I have generally used peelply on aramid patches but have not done so with fiberglass patches since the peelply soaks up some epoxy and 'glass is so easy to feather. Do you feel you get a better result using peelply over 'glass or do you use it just to save time?

Nice
I also like the high tech use of wood braces! I’ve been using sandbags, so to speak, but like that idea and will have to give it try on my latest project. Thanks for posting.

dougd

Hate sanding FG…
I will do most anything to minimize any fiberglass sanding. Peel Ply is my go to method. And it shortens repair time in most cases.

These fractures were jagged and disfigured (most likely the result of the first repair). I work in cold temps and the glue sets up quick. I can hold the fractures/hull in place by hand for the time it takes to set up. I make sure there’s no glue bumps in the layup, otherwise you can bury a little bit of glue in the lay up no problem.

Sand bags…
I used to put the canoes on edge and do freeboard repairs using sand bags to ensure the best lamination. But, often I have to do patches on both sides so I’ve developed techniques to do the patches vertically while maintaining superior lamination. I’ve also developed methods for cold weather lamination. Guess the temperature of the shop when these pictures and repairs were done.