Ice prevention

This may be a stupid question, but has anybody found a way to prevent ice from building up on deck rigging other than stripping it off? I have tried 303, and most every armor all type products available. The hull is not a problem, ice pops right off with a paddle whack, but once the rigging starts building up ice I have gotten enough weight on the rear deck and far front to seriously alter the handling of the boat, (all 14+ long boats).

Does anybody have a better solution to this issue?

Also not trying to start a cold weather clothing war, I dress for immersion.

Wiping the boat with windshield de
icing fluid?

Havent tried it I admit.

An expensive solution,
that worked very well for me was relocating to Florida. No further ice problems, except melting too fast in my waterglass.

Sorry :wink:

T

Kayak ice off
Airplanes inflate rubber “bladders” to de-ice wing edges.

Maybe putting a Float Bag under the lines and running

the tubing to something like turkey baster bulb for

inflation - pump every once in while would break the icing.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1760

I Like That
Maybe windshield washer fluid in a spray bottle. Point and shoot as needed.

Unless you want to…

– Last Updated: Dec-21-12 7:25 AM EST –

...replace the deck rigging with heated cables like you use on a roof and throw a big-ass battery in the aft hatch, you're probably out of luck. Water will get into the deck lines and freeze and you're going to have a tough time getting it off.

The LAST thing you want to do is to remove the deck rigging, as it will make self-rescue virtually impossible and assisted rescues very difficult! You have a very slim safety margin when paddling in winter as it is; you don't want to make it even slimmer.

My wife pointed out the self rescue
issue in removing the deck lines. I am thinking about changing out the perimeter lines with 3/16" stainless cable that I have for locking up the boats. I will just have to leave a little slack for grab holds and be able to get a paddle under them.

kinda heavy
If your problem with ice build-up is the added weight, then stainless cable might not be a good solution. You’ll probably add 10 pound worth of cable.

You aren’t talking about real cold then
I can’t imagine a material I would less like to handle at zero.

frozen?
OK, what kind of conditions are you paddling in where your boat is freezing over? I too like to paddle year round and we get snow and ice, but I’ve never had a problem where my rigging freezes solidly to the deck. My pfd has iced over and things get a little crusty but a flick of water (which is warmer than the ice) clears the problem.

Icing usually under 25 deg.
The ice is generally caused by wind spray and paddle dripping on windy days (20mph+). Hull icing not an issue, I can whack it loose with a paddle. The deck rigging will build up ice nearly an inch thick. The thickest ice will build on the bungees on the deck where they cross over each other, and on the perimeter lines around the cleats where they attach to the deck. The handles on the front and rear will build a snow ball size ice ball. The icing is the worst on the rigging behind the bulkhead behind my seat, and the front of the boat ahead of the forward bulkhead. I assume my body heat inside of the cockpit keeps some of the icing down a little.

My beard ices up a little but that is a different issue altogether.

Kayak Fenders and Mud Flaps
You’re just going to have to customize that yak

with some sexy naked lady spray flaps

http://www.duraflap.com/arterotic.html

where?
Do you mind me asking where the heck you live. I live in the heart of the great lakes and it sounds like you’re describing conditions in northern Greenland.

Anyone have a phone number for an Inuit, how’d they do it? Just roll?

How about some of the posters on here who have done some major expeditions in northern climates.

Film festivals feature AntArtic Paddling

– Last Updated: Dec-23-12 11:42 AM EST –

Somehow those guys manage

flexible deck lines
the ice cracks. Toggles for deck line adjustments. Things that are flexible shed ice faster…try banging on a flexible iced surface and a solid one and you will see.

http://robskayak.blogspot.com/

Central Kansas
This morning it was 17 degrees, 25mph winds. Just took a 3 hour short run experiment. If I stay on the up wind wide of the lake close to shore the spray off of the white caps is not bad. It just limits where I might like to go on any given day.

Ice buildup
Even the Greenlanders have a phrase for “too freaking cold”.

I can’t spell it.