Adding a keel to a Bell Magic

The creative possibilities are endless
You don’t say how deep the T extrusion is. If it’s six inches deep, you will overcome GBG’s objections about insufficient depth to affect stability. However, with a 6" deep keel, you will no longer be able to sail in Assateague with Mike McCrea because the whole dang place is only 5" deep.

Contrary to Marc Ornstein’s fears, the T extrusion may strengthen the bottom of your canoe. The only way to test this will be to bash down a 60’ per mile descending shallow creek.

Of course you should attach it first temporarily with tape or velcro so you can remove it. This will also allow you to position the extrusion on top of your off-side gunwale vertically to present greater freeboard to an imminent tip. Alternatively, you could tape it on the side of your off-side gunwale to act as an anti-tipping shield.

Finally, you could just lay the enter 14’ section horizontally across the gunwales in front of you, with empty 5 gallon plastic jugs hanging off each end. This would act as a Polynesian double pontoon and allow any Magic to surf across the Molokai Channel.

Merry Xmas to all.

Bingo!
The last idea has real merit…

But stay out of the Pine Barrens with it. Otherwise we will mistake your screams for the Joisey Devil.

Use a glue stick
and stick three surf-board fins on it also |/

Ahhh, the ideas that come to mind
late at night when one is bored and is unable to sleep.

No, not the idea of adding a keel to a perfectly designed hull, but rather asking a question that is outlandish and then sitting back to see how thoroughly I am flamed.

Jim :wink:

"What’s the Frequency?"
Jim, my comment was going to be something about a radio antenna…

Well, it’s easy to fool people when…
… you don’t have a reputation for being someone who thinks like a troll. In fact, it’s an unfair advantage!

I guess I yearn for the old days
when Pyker and I could team up to stir the pot.

Jim

alternative
Jim,

You could install a dagger board in the center-give you all the “stability” that an unstable paddler could desire.

Dave

Ahh James
I saw the post and thought things were proceeding smoothly without any prodding from myself! Very nicely laid plot!

Don’t forget the rudder.

You would think the boat alteration
firm of Saults and McCrea could make a rudder that could do double duty as a rudder and a centerboard. That hole in the bottom of the Magic would take some clever engineering, no?

Why not pour about 6 inches of
cement into the hull instead ? Unless, of course, you have a supply of lead lying around.

Why not pour about 6 inches of
cement into the hull instead ? Unless, of course, you have a supply of lead lying around.

not lead
gallons and gallons of liquid epoxy. That way you would add ballast weight AND make the boat indestructable.

Wrong boat
Jim, You just have the wrong boat - you need a Prism. Frank

Next: swivel gun versus six pounders?

Both.

Frank:
But but but…That wise sage with the initials CEW told me that the Prism has no “soul”!

Jim :wink:

Soul?
Soul?

You want soul?

Get a train.

Get on board…the soul train!

BOB

and you want to put a sole
on your Magic…concrete boots?