searching for hatch covers

A few years back, a co-worker borrowed my Wilderness Systems, the Ride, 135 for a presentation. On the drive back, he lost both hatch covers - both bow and the small one behind the seat.

I have been trying to find replacements ever since. I have reached out to all manufacturers - WS, Harmony, Confluence, etc. Unfortunately, because the boat is a 2002, none of the parts is made anymore.

Seal even offered to make a neoprene hatch cover, but the kayak doesn’t have a lip around the hatch, so that’s not an option.

I have two young boys and want to introduce kayaking to them, so I’m really hoping to make it seaworthy again.

I’ve also searched boats for sale, just to see if I can get lucky tracking down a part…

Any thoughts, advice or answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and happy new year.

screw in type
the one screw in type should be available from a variety of places. They are used in small sail boats as inspection ports. You just have to find the right size.

The other one you might have to make. You could laminate a couple of thin sheets of plywood over a form to match the curve and glue some sheet rubber or wide weather stripping to make a seal. That’s how some plywood seakayak hatches are made.

These may not be the right size but this is what to search for.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products//sailing-gear-accessories/deck-plates.html

check westmarine as well.

http://www.topkayaker.net
Tom sells the screw in hatch kits so that part is easy. His site has an article about making your own hatch. Basically you make a mold from paper mache or other material if you do not have another hatch you can use to make a mold. Then you make a fiber glass hatch you can gelcoat or just paint after it is finished.

If you use basic polyester resin and a combination of fiberglass mat and woven cloth it should cost you less than $40 in materials.

Foam might work
It’s kind of an odd idea, and I have no idea how well it would work, but one might try making a hatch out of sprayable insulated foam for the oddly shaped hatch. A plastic liner (trash bag molded to the shape of the hatch, for example) could be used to cover the hatch and the foam sprayed over it to make a mold that would be a decent waterproof fit.

Rick

Try
http://www.austinkayak.com/subcategory/217008/Hatches

In the spirit of screw-ins,
there is a great company called YakGear that sells very affordable kayak outfitting gear made and packaged in the USA. They sell 9 inch (Ithink) screwins for about $40.

Options

– Last Updated: Jan-07-13 7:31 AM EST –

From the look and the vintage of the design my guess is that the larger opening never had a Tupperware type cover but a solid plastic cover in which there have been already a few suggestions. This looks like a cover that a friends Seacret used to have. It was a combination neoprene gasket/cover and hard hatch cover. Being that there's compression straps try a trimmed block of 2" mini cell foam. That should give enough of a seal for light duty use. As to the aft screw in hatch, I doubt that WS made their own. The topkayaker site will probably have a screw in cover that'll fit that rim.

Kudos to you for thinking ahead to safety mindlessness in introducing the next gen of paddlers.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
www.the-river-connection.com

Try
For the screw hatch, probably you will find something that fits here: http://www.sealectdesigns.com/products/deck_plates_hatches

For the larger opening there are plenty of DIY options. All involve a soft closed-cell foam something for sealing and a stiffer something for the hatch.

Neoprene and Kydex…
Get Seal to make the neoprene cover…but first,

Screw a lip to the top edge of the hatch lip to allow for the neoprene to grab…use a 1/4 inch thick strip of plastic about 1/2 inch wide…heat with heat gun to allow bending…add a litte silicone or other sealant to seal the strip to the hatch combing…

Make a wooden form the shape of the hatch, then form kydex over the form with a heat gun…(Trim the cooled kydex after moulding)…

minicel
with the unique shape of that hatch, I would try making a minicel cover for it that fit within the recessed area. make a cardboard template, trace onto 2" minicel and carefully cut out with a bandsaw. then you could use a router or dremel tool to cut a groove for the hatch lip to fit into which should be watertight when strapped down. if you took the time to bullnose the edges and maybe even make a plastic piece to glue on top matching the color of your boat, you could make a pretty nice looking cover.