pad eyes for perception acadia 13 sit in

I have a plastic perception Acadia 13 that I would like to outfit for light touring. I was thinking of adding some pad eyes on the deck between the back of the cockpit and stern hatch so I can keep my spare paddle and a small deck bag there.

my concern is that the plastic might be too thin and the pad eyes woud leak around the rivets.

Does anyone have advise against doing this as the rivets for the pad eyes might cause leaks into the stern cargo area?

Nothing worse than a boat that leaks.

Padeyes and poprivets
You can easily do this with pop rivets and use some silicone calk to help them keep from leaking. I’ve also tried using some very small O-rings … they all leak a tiny bit.

ok. Thanks
Ok. Thanks.

Instead of rivits, use stainlees bolts
with captive nuts. Then if they leak you can add a rubber washer.

I am pretty sure in canoe/kayak stores you can even buy them in kits complete with the pad eye and the nuts and bolts.

Jack L

When
I bought pad eyes, it said to always use waterproof silicone around them before i screwed them in.

NRS has a a deck rigging kit
NRS sells a deck rigging kit that looks like it has some quality bolts and screw on wing nuts covered in rubber for the pad eyes. They say to put a bead of silicone on top of the nut before screwing it onto the bolt to help make it water tight.

Its a bit pricy ($28 including S&H), but it looks like it will work. More than I need for parts, but its good to have some spare parts.

You could
buy a kit or assemble the pad eyes, stainless steel hardware and bungee cord you’ll need to complete the project and save some cash. If you plan on outfitting more than one boat, it’s with the effort to gather the materials separately and get extra for future use.

Camping stores usually sell pad eyes and bungee cord in bulk and most home improvement stores have the stainless steel hardware at fair prices.

Y’all can use Aquaseal instead of
silicone. And anyone with a composite (fiberglass) boat should avoid silicone, because some find that it interferes with repair resin, and that traces of silicone are hard to remove.