Inexpensive or diy canoe seats w/ back

Looking for a decent canoe seat idea that is relatively inexpensive. I saw some nice canoe seats but they were about 40 each http://www.cabelas.com/canoe-kayak-accessories-cabelas-sitbacker-canoe-seat-green.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02511543&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=45E7CECA-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=22730369831&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=43640880071. Are there any inexpensive diy or just plain cheaper canoe seats with some back support that I may have missed? I am 6’5 200lbs I do not have a bad back but I am trying to avoid having one. I also go with my daughter. I am looking to spend maybe 70 for two seats.

depends on how handy you are
If you’re pretty darned handy, you could make these.

http://store.oldtowncanoe.com/products/314094/Seat_Backs

• Big D

what canoe ??
… and what type seats does it have in it , how are they suspended/attached ??

fiberglass seats
It is fiberglass core craft canoe. It has what I assume are fiberglass seats. So I don’t think I could add wooden ones. I think i’m stuck with stadium strap and buckle type seats.

how about the soft backband type …

– Last Updated: Jan-15-13 10:52 AM EST –

...... the straps would attach to the gunnels on each side and are adjustable . possibly a 2nd pair of straps would attach to the seat front at extreme sides .

I could even invision a kayak type soft seat with integrated back support placed on top your regular seat (and of course the strap system) .

Take a look at the headers here on p.net. (across the top of screen) ... look in both canoe and kayak ... click on accesories ... and then start looking at seats , seat bands , etc. . You'll see lots of soft seat type ideas . Google kayak seats on the web. and see similar seat stuff .

Anything other than a hard bar frame that digs into your back . Those stadium type seats are not comfortable to just sit in let alone move around in while paddling ...

Another thing to remember when you have a stiff frame seat back is that it sticks up and should you want to duck under a fallen tree or weave througfh similar ... your seat back might be an obstical that's in the way and snag maybe .

I can think off homemade seat backs that flip up and flip back down . Wouldn't be difficult to design and are held up w/straps that simply hook onto a keeper attached to gunnels . There are other ways than straps to lock them in the upright position too . Maybe a single rod from side to side being the hinge axle . This way you've got a nice padded back rest that's wide . In this design idea your gunnels on each side carry the rod axle just behind the seat .

In any case you want something that is light , detaches from the canoe , and also lays down fast when you want it to .

I could possibly help you with the homemade design idea if you want ... can you do the building of it ??

SEAT
TRY A STADIUM SEAT THE ONE WITH THE ARMS THAT GO UNDER THE MAIN SEAT

I HAVE ONE W/A ARM REST THAT I PUT OVER THE CANOE SEAT WHEN I GO TROLLING RELAX!!!

what brand
what brand is the stadium seat you use?