SMACK Tournament Series 2013

SMACK Tournament Series 2013

Announcing the 2013 Schedule and rules. You can also find us on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/SmackTournamentSeries?ref=hl. All proceeds go to benefit Heroes on the Water!

All times EST

Mar 24 7am-2pm Guist Creek Lake, Shelbyville KY

Apr 21 7am-2pm Barren River Lake, Brownsford Ramp

May 19 7am-2pm Rough River Lake, North Fork Ramp

June 23 7am-2pm Salem Lake, Hodgenville KY

July 21 7am-2pm Nolin River Lake, Iberia Ramp

Aug 18 7am-2pm Taylorsville Lake, Van Buren Ramp

Sep 22 7am-2pm Green River Lake, Snake Creek Ramp

Classic:

Times CST

Oct 19-20 Lake Barkley, Eddy Creek Marina

Oct 19 7am-2pm

Oct 20 7am-12 noon

$10 entry fee per tournament, classic will be $20.

Kayak Canoe Sup and Float tubes allowed (Hobie systems OK)

Single electric motor will be allowed for persons with proven disability that would prevent them from paddling. Prior consent from organizational committee must be granted.

PFD must be on boat at all times.

CPR Rules Top 3 fish will be scored. Tiebreaker will be determined by next biggest fish.

First picture must be of rigged boat at ramp. All pics must be clear and have full fish in picture. Mouth must be closed. Will measure to tip of tail. Measurements will be taken in 1/4 inch increments.

Phones can be used for pics please bring cord to upload pics. All cameras will be checked before tournament.

No live bait. No bank fishing or wading. All fish must be caught from boat.

Must fish 4 tournaments to qualify for classic. Points will be calculated with top 4 finishes plus classic finish.

Points accumulated as follows:

1st-10pts

2nd-8pts

3rd-6pts

4th-4pts

5th-2pts

6th and on with fish-1pt

No fish-0.5pts

Tiebreaker after classic will be determined by biggest fish at classic. 2nd tiebreaker will be biggest fish of year.

There are NO RULES on pre fishing tournaments. The objective of this tournament series is to get people on the water and have fun. We will not ever discourage anyone from going fishing anytime they so choose.

We’d like to thank those who have sponsored us to this point:

Bullfrog Baits (bullfrogbaits.com)

Big Buffalo Crossing Canoe Rental (Bigbuffalocrossing.com)

Yak Daddy (Yakdaddy.net)

AWP Butcher Block (awpbutcherblock.com)

Zeko Shoes (zekoshoes.com)

Napa Auto Parts

Fastenal

Hersch. This would be a blast.
We should pick one of these and go to it if it works out. If you can’t do it, maybe I can get my family to come along and make it a camping outing.

Thanks Coosachip for posting these. I know the threads don’t usually get many responses, but I’m sure there is interest.

H.O.W. is a terrific organization. I’ve been involved with them more than once, and always found it to be an encouragement for everyone involved. We had one guy with bad PTSD wipe out in a long class 2 (Hersch - it’s the entry rapid at Post Office on the New) and he laughed for the first time in a year. His PFD carried him through the rest of the rapid and he was just howling with laughter. Absolutely terrific organization.

Thanks
Thanks for the reply. We hope to see you out this year!

New sponsors
Breathe Like A Fish Performance Apparel just came on board. We will have some of their shirts to give away! Check them out at breathelikeafish.com. Also, we have partnered with Kayak Angler Magazine to be the official media sponsor of SMACK Tournament Series. Everyone that fishes the series will get a free digital subscription.

Just wondering…
Given that this is a HOW event, if I have a disabled vet buddy who would like to fish, can he fish from the front of my canoe if I row? If I can use the trolling motor that would be even better, but I think that’s an unfair advantage unless he’s solo in the boat.

Can we double in the same canoe - both of us fishing for the event?

I’m not trying to push the rules, just to know them.

Finally, as a $10 entry fee and a good org benefiting, who cares about pre-fishing? If someone does better, they do better. Have a burger and a laugh and be done with it.

• Big D

Answers
If you guys want to fish from canoe you each pay entry fee and each score your own fish. As far as troller motor goes that rule is more in place to keep people that can paddle from using a motor. If someone in the boat is able to paddle then we want to try to keep it that way. We are trying to help introduce paddlesports to the area and get more people involved. We want everyone to have the chance to come fish with us and maybe win something cool.

I agree with you on the pre-fishing but rules are in place because someone asked the question.

Also come like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/SmackTournamentSeries?ref=tn_tnmn.

More Sponsors
New sponsors coming on board every day. Camping Survival donated a 1000 ft spool of paracord. Big Bear Fishing Rods donated 5 $50 gift certificates. Check them out at campingsurvival.com and bigbearfishingrods.com.

Thanks.

Big D
Hope to see you guys at a few events this year! If you need help with where to camp or stuff like that let me know.

More Sponsors and Great Prizes
Thanks Chad at Hook 1 for the gift cards to give away. Check them out at kayakfishinggear.com. Also would like to thank John Davis with Smallmouth Specialty and Hollow Log Cabins on Dale Hollow Lake. He was very gracious in donating a 2 night cabin rental to be given away at the first tournament on March 24. Check out their websites at smallmouthspecialty.com and hollowlogcabins.com. John is one of the best fishing guides on Dale Hollow Lake.

Measuring Board
A side note to the rules. We will be making the Hawg Trough the official measuring board for our tournaments. You can pick one up from Hook 1 at kayakfishinggear.com.

More Sponsors Means More Prizes
Thanks to Stearns Life Vests and Edwards Recycling for you donations.

ACA
We have joined the American Canoe Association as a Paddle America Club for 2013. As announced earlier this helps the tournaments in two very important ways by promoting the tournaments and providing liability insurance. They have also agreed to lower the cost of individual membership from $30 to $15. This will be a one time fee to join ACA. Memberships will be available at the tournament sign ups and they do include some really great discounts to several retailers. Hope to see everyone at the first tournament on March 24th at Guist Creek Lake. Come out and support HOW!

first tourney
First tourney of the year has come and gone. Despite 35 degree temps and rain/snow mix we had 12 people come out and support SMACK and HOW! The fishing was tough with no fish caught by 11 am we decided to call it a day and head to Beef O Brady’s for lunch. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for the next event and we will see some new faces. Mark your calenders for April 21st at Barren River Lake Brownsford Ramp.