1ST DRY SUIT

thanks
I think I’m going to get the union-suit… and then some other pieces to go over and under…

Now what do you guys where over the dry suit socks? What do you suggest for that?

thanks agian. I plan on ordering everything tomorrow, and I’m sure looking forward to it.

JB

as a canoeist/poler

– Last Updated: Jan-22-13 9:40 AM EST –

I get away with mukluks. In my 'tight' boats, NRS "attack" shoes. Be aware of lack of foot room in a yak and order appropriately.In my squirt boat I would just put a pair of socks over the booties, 'cuz that's all that would fit.

The Union suit is real nice. I was offering options above as someone who gets out 4-5 days a week, often after work.

Personally, after 250 drysuit runs, I've never missed a peezip. Unzip the front zip, drop the shoulders, and I've been good to go ;-).

OK - was thinking cotton
That said, I have never really known what the name is for the synthetic pants that I tend to favor once temps start warming up. I suppose they could be called jeans as well…

You might try these for $30 at STP

– Last Updated: Jan-22-13 9:48 AM EST –

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kokatat-seeker-neoprene-paddle-shoes-for-men-and-women~p~4906j/?filterString=gloves-hoods-boots-and-shoes~d~101%2F&colorFamily=01

They are Kokatat "Seekers". I got a pair. The soles are not at all robust. But the rest of the shoe is pretty good. Depends on how much walking you have to do to get to the put in. I will put a layer of Aquaseal on the bottoms of mine as a wear layer.

Nice selection of sizes right now too.

Whoops! I meant the undergarments
Will correct. A 2 piece dry suit is not dry in my experiences, just manageably wet in the right uses.

One thought re wool underlayers
I have to shy away from straight wool as a base layer because it makes me itch. But I can take wool as a layer over a super-wicking base one like CoolMax or the proprietary equivalents from sports stores. Just keep in mind that it is not necessarily one layer does all when it comes to drysuits, often a mix of two lighter layers works better.

Socks under and…
regular paddling boots over. I have settled on beating the heck out of NRS’s crew-height basic neo paddling boots until it gets to really cold stuff, then I go to a pair of diving dry boots that have the height of mukluks. And thicker neoprene for warmth. But lots of manufacturers have good basic boots and mukluks.

Many we paddle with favor Smartwool socks for inside the booties (have to protect the inner membrane there especially), or polypro for warmer temps. But any sock that is warm and wicks some will do. Happily there are many sources for good socks since you basically use hiking stuff.

thanks
for all the info. Going to be ordering everything tomorrow, and I’d hate to order something that isn’t right

Leave a half size up at least in booties
When you order any footwear. Or at least try them on before getting them wet with a good sock and the bootie. My feet run small, so no matter how well the suit fits I am doing some folding over.

Even merino wool?
Have you tried 100% merino wool garments, such as Icebreaker?

I’m in the same boat as you… I find regular wool sweaters, etc. to be itchy, almost unbearably so, but merino gives me no problems.

Apparently the fibers are considerably finer than reg’lar wool, which makes a difference. Color me surprised.

PS
Additionally, the ‘no stink’ and ‘breathes really well’ factors tend to make me like merino even more than fleece… and I like fleece.

Far as ‘still being warm when wet’ goes, that seems to be a rough tie between the two.

Hmm…
I can do socks with a high amount of merino wool in them, but then again I have typically been able to handle more in the way of straight wool including scratchy rag socks on my feet than I can take in something like a long sleeve top.

If I am someplace I could try something on I’ll give it a shot - but I’d have to be able to walk around with it for a few minutes to tell.

Cool

– Last Updated: Jan-24-13 12:01 AM EST –

And note: There's definitely a difference between the stuff that's 100% merino, and the stuff that's only partially Merino (i.e. much of the Smartwool stuff, IIRC).

I'd examine the tags before bothering to try anything on.

Yes two piece
I totally agree with Celia. I think every paddler has to do some experimentation with undergarments. Obviously wicking. I too find that if I do a longer cold weather paddle and stop for a lunch break, I change my top which will be quite damp. Actually I don’t understand a 1 piece undergarment. Why? What’s the advantage? And if it gets damp on top, then what?

agreed - it’s a personal choice
Wool or synthetics.

I can wear smartwool but what makes me itch is the cost. And although it doesn’t wick “stink”, my smartwool garments never smelled laundry-fresh when I was done. So I tend to minimize the “stink” issue. Even if it doesn’t stink, it’s going in the laundry after I wear it.

Plus - get booties on the suit

– Last Updated: Jan-23-13 11:27 AM EST –

I hope you got booties on the suit and not ankle seals. If not turn it back in for one with booties. Absolutely no comparison in warmth, comfort and water integrity. Plus way easier to get on and off.

Liking these…
I bought a used kokatat gmer drysuit before xmas. Wife bought me the kokatat polartec fleece 1 pc liner for xmas. Love it.

http://www.kokatat.com/products/insulation/polartecr-power-dryr-liner-men.html

NRS booties have been great and are on sale now. Really well made product, good gription too. Had MEC booties before these and they didnt last.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2307&pdeptid=1141

Anyone have any thoughts on top fleece midlayers? Do you find collared fleece/merino fits comfortably below the drysuit gasket or top layer without collars better?

Hey JB dont forget about some noggin’ coverage, although if your in white water, i expect you’ve got that covered allready.

cheers

Ian.

Fold the collar down
The way the Kokatat gaskets are shaped, there is plenty of room for a moderate little collar.

I like fleece as a top layer myself, with something like capilene underneath if two layers, but everyone is different.

i prefer
merino wool. In summer i often just use netting set, if you know what i mean.

if it gets colder i like to have the netting outside the wool layer. I recently bought a light ursuit finnfill suit. I wear it all the time now since winter is cold this year. I like two piece underwear, since its much more flexible.

well
I ordered my suit today… After talking with them they sugested that I order a xl to kinda try on… Then they will order one with shorter sleves and legs… I’m looking forward to getting it. Thanks for all the information.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2260&pdeptid=1174