Tennessee River Guidebook?

Thinking about making a Tenn/Ky/WV canoe trip this Spring and have much information on almost all the eastern states rivers (my paddlers library is extensive) EXCEPT Tennessee. Can’t seem to find a recent good guidebook describing its rivers. ANYBODY?

guidebook
It’s actually called, ‘Tennessee Rivers: A Paddler’s Guidebook’

Written by Bob Lantz

Appears it was updated 2003. It’s worked for me a few times.

Good luck.

Ryan L.

A Canoeing and Kayaking Guide to the
Streams of Tennessee

in 2 volumes by Bob Sehlinger and Bob Lantz, published by Menasha Press.

What type of paddling are you looking to do?

The title of your post suggested that you where looking for a guide to paddling the Tennessee River. If so, you probably won’t find one. The Tennessee River has for all intents and purposes been transposed from a free-flowing river to a series of man-made impoundments. But there are lots of great free-flowing streams in Tennessee.

free download of TN.
go to waldensridgewhitewater it is a great site with a guide book writen in 2011 and I’TS FREE

I don’t think that is in press anymore.
I have one of the volumes, and have been trying to find the other.

I believe there is a new guidebook, by another author, forthcoming, but I didn’t save the information.

Perhaps the most exciting journey on the Tennessee was in about 1780, when a large party of flatboats started on the Holston River, proceeded past the future site of Chattanooga, where they were attacked by indians, ran the long series of shoals near present day Muscle (mussel) shoals (aided by high water in early spring), continued to the Ohio River, poled and roped up to the mouth of the Cumberland, and, except for a party who stopped at the mouth of the Red (future site of Clarkesville), and then proceeded to the future site of Nasheville, where they met settlers who had come overland.

In that party was a 15 year old girl who later married Andrew Jackson.

I have links to better accounts of the journey, which makes “African Queen” seem tiny by comparison.

the book i posted
Is the replacement to those books. At least that’s what is says on the page with publishing info.

Ryan L.

If you are interested in whitewater

– Last Updated: Jan-24-13 4:00 PM EST –

the Walden's Ridge site is a useful resource.

For those interested in the original 2 volume Streams of Tennessee book by Sehlinger and Lantz, both volumes are available used from associate sellers via Amazon dot com.

I have not seen the newer version by Lantz. Since it is around 180 pages and each volume of the 2 volume set was about 180 pages, presumably something is left out.

The 2 volume set is generally good, although I found the maps to be very confusing to read and generally useless for navigation, although the access points marked on the map could generally be found using a decent road atlas or the DeLorme Gazetteer atlas for Tennessee.

Menasha Press had a policy
of splitting a state guidebook into two, and doing it in a way that a buyer would be almost forced to buy both volumes.

In Georgia, for example, the volumes were not split at the “fall line” where most whitewater ends. Instead, some whitewater runs were put in the “south georgia” volume to spur sales. I challenged them on it, and they gave a lame argument about the content size. But I did the calculations myself, and that argument didn’t hold.

The descriptions in the early volumes sometimes seemed not to have been informed by actual experience. Now we have the Welander version in a single volume, and it seems better researched. Not taking away anything from the original Georgia effort. One has to realise what it takes to run all rivers of significance in the largest state east of the Mississippi and properly describe them.

The one volume I have of the TN effort seems properly done, but if there’s an update, it’s certainly needed.

Yes, I wanna read 'bout this
G2D, plz send me more on this story. I paddle the Holston and I lived in Clarksville as a kid. SSssoooooo I’m “kinda” connected THANKS

Inside is a link to a “blog”

– Last Updated: Jan-24-13 10:00 PM EST –

I posted on a UK website.

The title was something like "Kickapoo and dragging canoe. Port Royal and the Red River in TN.

http://tinyurl.com/bg6pppv

In the article are further links to things of interest.

You have to get a ways down in the blog to get through Wisconsin and Illinois, through KY, and to the Red River in Tennessee. And there's a lot of pictures, which may load kinda slow. Patience.

Not
a guide book, but a good resource for TN rivers.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/state-summary/state/TN/