Thinking about a Tempest 170

Sounds good to me!
Only what does “East Tennessee” mean? Are you talking rivers or lakes? A Tempest is better suited for open water.

yes.
the tempest 170 is a great alround britstyle seakayak. I have one myself.

Its not a difficult kayak to master, and the cockpit is made so its very adjustable. Its a great learningkayak since it resopnde so well to different edging. It has a moderate v form with great primary and awesome secondary/edging stability. The T170 is agreat choice.

A Tempest is a great boat. I don’t see
your size and they are a bit like buying shoes. You need to try therm on.

get butt time
I’d read the article in the Spring 2012 issue of California Kayaker Magazine on getting butt time. Can be read online for free at http://www.calkayakermag.com/magazine.html.

Basically, what the others said about making sure it fits is important. I would also take the basic day long sea kayaking class (which covers things like rescues, strokes, fitting in a kayak, other gear, etc.) before buying, as that would tell you a lot and help you decide if the T170 is the right bot for you.

Height? Weight?
I think of the 170 as being for around 200 pounders and upward.

Sizing - consider the 165
The Tempests are great boats. The 170 is pretty large, and many people find the 165 a better fit. I’d suggest trying both.

I had a 170 for a while, and found it was the better fit for me (6’3", 185#). The 165 is too short in the pegs for my long legs.

Have fun - Alan

Just to benchmark
I’m 180 lbs, 5’ 9" … and I found the T-170 a little big and unwieldy. The T-165 is a much better fit for me. Seems more fun to paddle too.

And for my size
5’11" 190 lb. size 11.5 shoe long legs, the 165 was too cramped, but the 170 fit very well. Both have the same size cockpit opening and the same outfitting, so that’s not the difference.

I haven’t settled on my first sea kayak yet, going from a rec boat, realizing from trying them that I needed more seat time in larger boats and need to get comfortable with true edging. Just my two cents on that issue. But try out any and every boat before buying for sure!!!

I found the T 170 to feel more stable than other WS boats (Zephyr for example), tracks straight, but doesn’t turn that easily. Hence, learning edging, where the report is that this boat does turn readily.

We have very similar sizing…
… I’m also 5’ 11", same shoe size, and roughly the same weight. I’ll definitely head down to try it on for size, but I’m glad you found the 170 to be a good fit. I’d heard similar things about the 165 being too cramped for taller people. Thanks!

if
Your intentions are to paddle the great lakes of our fair homeland, I would also add to your list something less sea kayak. If you really like paddling and think you would get into it, a club version of an epic 18x, or stellars 18 would be a great option. These boats are aimed at a little more straight ahead distance paddling. East Tennessee is a bit of a wasteland for paddlecraft. You can demo at riversports, I just wish they would add more choices in the long boat category.

If you can get the tempest used or demoed for a good price, then it wouldn’t be a bad way at all to get going. Good luck, no matter what you do it will be great. Message me if you want to paddle when you get going.

Ryan L.

Lots of options

– Last Updated: Jan-30-13 12:14 PM EST –

Including but not limited to the Tempest.

Just to add to your list I would add a P&H Scorpio or Venture Kayaks Capella 166. I'm sure there will be other suggestions.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
www.the-river-connection.com
hudsonriverpaddler.org

For your size
You have a lot of extra carrying capacity in the 170. It’s handling is not to my taste.

Not too bad here
I live in Chattanooga on the Tennessee River, and we have some reservoirs and lakes that give us some flat water. Not the best in the world, but it’s nice enough to please me.

That’s pretty country
I taught at Sewanee for a year. Made it into Chattanooga a lot. Isn’t that Eric Johnson/WW country? How about something shorter than a full on sea kayak? How about a Tsunami 120, 130 or 140 instead?

Move the Seat Back
You can move the seat back in the 165. Makes getting in and out much easier. Helps accommodate long legs, too. I have taller, heavier friends who paddle my 165 and prefer it over the 170.

plenty of water
There are hundreds of miles of navigable flatwater in East Tennessee. The problem is boat selection.

Check out the chattajack sup/boat race. Great first year last October, I think this race will do very well.

Ryan L.

Kayak fit options
I don’t paddle Tempest 170 but from what I know about the 170 I think you might find it too large. Moving the seat aft a couple inches might be a consideration to help you select the smaller sized Tempest if you’re on the fence about which to choose.

I’m 6’-3", 210lbs, size 12-13 feet and modified a roto-molded Zephyr 160 to fit me by moving the seat 2".

Good luck.

I have one for sale
I bought a demo poly 170 a few years ago, took it camping in the ADK area of NY and it held a ton of gear. I’m 6 feet app 205lbs with a size 13 foot. I moved the seat up app 1-2 in a few years ago for better handling. I’m going to put it up for sale this spring, if your in the NYC area let me know if you want to try it out if your interested. Only reason is because I have a pinched nerve in my arm (tennis elbow) and the boat is to heavy for me to keep picking up. Because of that I purchased a Placid boat and it weighs app 27lbs which I use basically in the rivers upstate. Let me know, send me your e mail if you want to see pictures.

If you fit, go for it
I’ve used T-170s for teaching first-timers how to paddle, and haven’t found that the students have any harder time keeping it upright than boats that are shorter and wider. If you already have some experience in a boat, then it probably won’t feel particularly unstable, and the secondary stability is excellent.

So if the boat feels like a good fit, no reason not to get one. But try it for size first, definitely

Fit and comfort

– Last Updated: Feb-03-13 5:20 PM EST –

The Tempest series are all very good all round boats. The one that you find most comfortable is the one for you.

You will find your preferred fit will evolve. I went from loose to tight back to loose. I have 3 points of contact available when needed, but like to be able to move in my cockpit.

I'm 6', 175-180 and have paddled both a 165 and 170. The 170 is perfectly fine though I like the feel of the 165 better than the 170 as it is livelier.

There are a lot of very good boats out there. The Tempest series is the most broadly available that are supportive of growing an array skills and are wholly capable boats. In recent years for those looking for their first 'serious' kayak I've recommended a Tempest more often than any other model. I don't own a Tempest nor do I sell boats. IMHO everyone who wants to have fun in a sea kayak should have a Romany at some point in their paddling lives ;-)