Trail Bread

I
I had to search for a while to find the most simple, and then to try it out.

Most recipes are designed for sophisticated women and have long lists of ingredients.

Sure you can add anything to spice it up!

Great luck to you!

Its called bannock
and is widely made by backcountry paddlers

Not so home cooks.

Google Camping Bannock

Oil is sometimes added as well as milk if available.

here is one

http://www.ontarioparks.com/learntocamp/recipe_bannock.html

Bisquick…
I just use bisquick, but make sure the texture is very thick. You can fry up three or four “biscuits” at a time in a decent sized fry pan. I’ll add lots of stuff to make them “power biscuits” such as oatmeal, grape nuts, cranberries, coconut etc… Helps if you have a fry pan with a lid. Fry with butter, coconut butter, oil, whatever. Have also made them savory with herbs, cheese, salami. Have added tuna fish and a little corn meal to make fish cakes. Lots you can do with such a simple thing as bisquick…

I
I might be heavy on the salt.

Do you guys use a Dutch Oven?
I bought one and have been playing around with it on my gas grill with a heat diffuser and Dutch Oven Dome from Camp Chef. It works amazing. Made cinnamon rolls (Pillsbury from the tube) and brownies (from the box) - keep the bottom heat low and it comes out just like they were done in a regular oven. When it warms up I’ll try it with charcoal.

Southern fried cornbread is what I make
for dinner or camping.

1 C. self rising flour, ¾ C. self rising cornmeal mix.

Mix together with a fork and use just enough water to make the dough slightly sticky.

Make 3-4", thin patties, place in hot cooking oil, and fry it up in until golden brown on both sides. Place on a folded paper towel and enjoy.

Great for everything from soup dipping, PBJ’s or just plain.

I put enough cooking oil in the pan to allow for at least half the depth of my patties.

No additional salt is needed as it’s already in the mix.

Before heading out for a camp outing, I put the amounts of flour and cornmeal mix needed in zip lock type bags and add water to the bag or do it in a bowl. Whichever is easier.

I learned this from a gal who grew up in the hills of North Carolina and her cooking pan is an old cast iron fry pan with the handle broken off and years of cooking oil on the outside of it. Her hubby said she should throw the pan out to which I said, “Oh no, it’s seasoned just right and that’s what makes it so nice for cooking!”

Definately not cholesteral free, but it is good.

Been cooking with the black pots
most of my adult life. It’s a big thing in my canoe club (lots of contests and good natured ribbing). A couple of years ago I won a GSI aluminum DO. After using it a few times I decided I wanted a bigger one as well. I swallowed hard and bought one (they’re not cheap and it’s not as though I’m short on DOs) and have hardly used the iron ones since. My point is if you’re just beginning to experiment with DO cooking you might at least want to check out the anodized aluminum ones before you get into it too deep. They’ll spoil you.

No

– Last Updated: Feb-20-13 1:02 PM EST –

I just have a pot lid I flip over and put a little olive oil and fry the dough over a camp stove.

I can't portage a dutch oven..I solo in Ontario quite a bit. With portages; usually 20-25 half milers over a week.

Anodized aluminum DOs
weigh approximately a third as much as their cast iron counterparts FYI.

Banks Fry Bake…
A nice piece of gear…

http://www.bearpawwd.com/shelters_floors/pyraNet1.html

You bake with a tent floor?
I think you posted the wrong link!

Interesting link though!

D’oh…
Here’s the link I meant to post…

https://www.frybake.com/

why soda and powder?
Not to be nit picky BUT, generally you don’t use baking soda in a recipe unless you also have an ‘acid’ - that could be anything such as vinegar, yoghurt, juice… Between that and the AMOUNT of salt, this would taste very good.

Do you really make it like that?

aka hardtack
Make sure you include some citrus juice so you don’t suffer the fate of English sailors.

there are hundreds if not thousands
of bannock recipes

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/rsi/fnb/fnb.htm

Just a sample. Some have both baking powder and soda, others just baking powder. Some have neither.

I’m
I’m not sure about the baking soda.

It appears that most recipes use powder only.

Anybody have wisdom on this?

here
http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodchemistry/f/blbaking.htm

Baking powder is neutral in taste. Most on the stick bannock has no fancy flavors to counter the bitterness you would get from using baking soda.

Bannock is traditionally made on the end of a stick over a campfire.

recipe?
I was questioning your recipe as soda is usually only used in recipes where an acid is present. W/o an acid, no reaction takes place and then the soda creates an off flavor. Baking powder contains both acid and base and it reacts twice - first upon getting wet and second upon heat.

I
I think you must be correct.

I “threw” the recipe together quickly and it turned out alright.

I want to try your idea next.

recipe
Simple hardtack recipe

You can make hardtack almost identical to what sailors, troops, and pioneers have been eating (minus the weevils!) by following this simple recipe:

4-5 cups of flour

2 cups of water

3 tsp. of salt

Mix the flour, water and salt together, and make sure the mixture is fairly dry. Then roll it out to about 1/2 inch thickness, and shape it into a rectangle. Cut it into 3×3 inch squares, and poke holes in both sides. Place on an un-greased cookie or baking sheet, and cook for 30 minutes per side at 375˚ (or 350˚ if you have a convection oven).

When it’s done, you’ll want to let it dry and harden for a few days, just out in the open. When it has the consistency of a brick, it’s fully cured. Then simply store it in an airtight container or bucket. To prepare for eating, soak it in water or milk for about 15 minutes, and then fry in a buttered skillet. You can eat it with cheese, soup or just plain with a little salt added. Any way you do it, it’s delicious!