Need Help: 3-4 day Trip in South East

I am looking for a 3-4 day river kayaking trip in the south eastern US. I would prefer to stay in NC, GA, East TN, or Southern VA. Willing to travel further for the perfect river. There will be 4-5 people going in 12-16ft kayaks, group of high school and college friends. We are looking for somewhere as remote as possible, with good views, and lots of class I-II rapids. I realize that it is difficult to find somewhere remote in the states listed, but the more wilderness the better. We are hoping to do around 50 miles, depending on the river obviously.

We will take all necessary items with us and would prefer to camp in remote areas. Planning on going in the 1st part of April. Everyone going is an intermediate paddler.

Looking forward to everyones suggestions.

Thanks

Zach

A few
1. The New River (the section in NC that runs into VA)

2. the Lumber River in NC (no rapids though)

3. If you want a fantastic one and want to drive a little farther into north Florida: The Suwanne River from Fargo, Georgia to White Springs Florida, or as far as you want to go beyond there.(one class III that you can portage, and then a few smaller rapids)

Jack L

wow, my kind of trip!

– Last Updated: Mar-16-13 10:02 PM EST –

multiday in the southeast, in April, doesn't get any better than that, because you're doing your trip then, you can get on some seasonal stuff

in wv:
check out Greenbrier (and if you get plenty of water check running anthonys creek into the greenbrier)- american whitewater website, Canoeing and Kayaking west virgina guidebook, state website about greenbrier river trail,

the lower williams into the gauley, just make sure you take out above curtain bridge on the gauley, after that point the river turns decidedly class III, aw website, and Canoeing and kayaking west virginia

the down elk below webster springs, put in below sewer plant rapid to miss a class three. I know a sewer plant sounds gross but this is a really nice stretch of remote river- again aw site and Canoeing and Kayaking wv, 600 cfs should be about right, don't attempt above 800 cfs unless your skills are very solid- trip gets easier as you go down stream

Tn: the upper reaches of Clear Creek down to Jett,
aw website

Ky Rockcastle River- be prepared to portage the "beach narrows" and the narrows

all runs somewhat remote, likely to run in the spring, but plan an alternative in case of dry weather, the greenbrier has the least whitewater out of all the choices but might be the easiest to plan and holds water well

Have fun!

back up plan
if the greenbrier, elk and williams/gauley are too low then you could run the bottom of the greenbrier and then paddle the New. This is not a good high water option. but would work well if conditions are low. Put in at Barger Springs on the Greenbrier, paddle onto the new and camp (ist night)near brooks, portage brooks falls (portage) and on day two portqge sandstone falls and camp at Glade Creek (2nd night. Day three skirt grassy shoals (right) and camp near ledges Day 4 paddle out to Stonecliff or Thurmond but skirt silos. Plenty of good class II+ whitewater to run on this trip. You want the Fayette station gauge to read below 4feet to do this trip.

12 to 16 foot kayaks? Touring or rec?
You want a river with frequent class 1-2 rapids and you’re going to carry all your gear in touring or rec kayaks?

Skirtless kayaks should be out, because they would swamp in class 2. Touring kayaks—I have one— may be pretty loaded down for class 2 rapids, if carrying all needed gear.

All intermediates on what? Genuine class 1-2 rapids in loaded kayaks not designed for rapids?

Suwannee would be first choice
But, if you didn’t want to go that far, consider the Altamaha which you can paddle pretty much all across Georgia. I paddled the eastern half and it wasn’t bad.

East TN
Most rivers that start in a county that has the Great Smokeys NP or Cherokee National Forest in it in east TN are swift moving like you want, but they go to flat water before you get the 50 miles or so you want.