Romany vs Zephyr or Tempest

Hey Luke,
Check out what is available from Novus Composites Kayaks. They are all American made and are super kayaks. nckayaks.com.

keep in mind
What I said about shorter being better was a generalization, and Celia added a very important note to this - only works on boats that are made as touring boats (so have hatches front and back, hull shapes made for moving,m etc.). Rec boats are shorter, but are not made for rough water.

And don’t necessarily mimic what Neptune’s Rangers do. Going too short, like the white water boats, adds risks (and takes away lots of speed). The Fusions and sometimes even true white water boats used by Neptune’s Rangers are only used when the rock play spots are close to the launch, and even then add in additional risks (particularly the true white water boats). These guys have true bombproof rolls (most of those guys only swim once every few years, even with what they do), have as much added flotation as can be added, know how to do a TX rescue if it gets that far, etc. Not for mere mortals like me.

Avocet?
At your size, don’t miss an opportunity to demo an Avocet RM.

Others in the lineup
In addition to something Delphin/Aries wise, when you’re up for it and here, others that’d be worth taking out of the Boathouse would be;

North Shore Polar

P&H Scorpio (std. or lv - depends on fit)

Venture Islay/Islay LV - Might not be a bad combination of features.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

Looks like I have a new list
To continue researching. Thanks again all. We have our first indoor pool session coming up this weekend. I’m pumped to get going.

Many other boats to try
Unfortunately I am bigger than you and do not fit well in the Romanies, and Zephyr 155. I really liked the Zephyr 160 Pro for fit and maneuverability. It would be a great all-around play boat. Rolling the Zephyr 155 was the best next to my SOF. Wilderness has the best seats. After trying the Aries 155 and Delphin 155, I think they are the best all-around play boats. I found a good deal on an Aries 155 and now have one.

Some other boats to try are Necky Elias, Eliza, Chatham 16, and Chatham 17. I found the Elias composite to be a fantastic rough water boat. The Delphin provided a little more secondary pressure for big waves than the Elias because of my high CG. Medium size paddlers should enjoy the Elias. If the Elias cockpit is too big try the Eliza. There are plenty of reviews on the Chatham series. Valley has the Avocet which has great reviews. They have 2 new small boats out also. So you have many choices for play boats. Now which to choose play boat or touring?

JimZ

Tempest 165
I got the Tempest 165 for Christmas and it’s a fantastic boat but don’t even consider it…you’ll never fit. I’m 5’6", 150lbs and with size 10 shoes. The foot room can be a bit cramped for me at times but otherwise it fits me like a glove. The 170 or even the 180 Pro would be great for you size wise.

not necessarily
Fit for the OP may depend on what type of footwear is used, and whether the Tempest seat were to be moved back, as a number of owners have done. There are guys that size that enjoy the T165.

I think sizing will be determined
When I finally get to sit in some options and test things out.

As far as playful vs touring, in my head I’m looking at it the way I approach snowboarding. Some like going fast. Some like trick courses and halfpipes. I like neither, I like going on intermediate runs or whatever level the group of people I’m with is at. I like enjoying the ride, and the moment I see a jump on the side of the trail I’m on it. Same goes if I see a quick run into the woods, or a place to explore. Therefore my board is neither hard for speed, or super soft for tricks. It’s right down the middle. Plenty of speed, but handles beautifully the moment I want to have some fun.

That’s what I want out of my first boat. I want to be able to travel with a pack of kayakers, as well as be able to take enough equipment for short camping trips. However, the moment I get the chance to play in some surf (once I learn enough skills of course) or some small ww patches, I want to know my boat can handle it and it’ll be a great time. I don’t want to get stuck with a boat that can do only one of those two thing beautifully. I want to find one that might not be the best at either, but as good a crossover as possible. We’ll also see what my butt tells me once I sit in a couple of options.

Once again, thanks all for the superb feedback.

One more addition
I also think I’ll be able to get another boat down the line depending on what I like best at that point. Maybe I fall in love with playing in surf, I think at that point it would be excellent to then purchase my next boat specifically for that task. And vice versa…

A quiver full
Welcome to the addiction.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

Gremlin!

– Last Updated: Feb-28-13 4:40 PM EST –

That's so not true. I have a buddy at about 6'4" and about 175 pounds who thoroughly enjoys his T165. He just had to move the seat back some.

edit:

Dear Wilderness Systems, God knows how many people are passing up your fine boat because the seat is bolted in too far forward. Make the damn thing easily adjustable.

Your friend,

Kudzu

Now Yer Talkin’
If you want a ‘do everything pretty good’ boat my vote is with the T165. Down the road look at the Alchemy-Delphin-type shorter-funner boats.

And remember, you can move the seat back, or your local shop can move the seat back to make getting in and out easier.

Yes, and, it’s not like they’re clueless
I have a Confluence Wavesport Fuse. The seat pan and attachment is nearly identical to the Tempest. The Wavesport pan is slotted, where we typically drill the extra holes in our Tempest pans. And, there’s a unified thread plate on each side, instead of two nuts. So, you just loosen the external phillips heads, slide the seat, and tighten the screws.

Exclusing others
The Yost designed Swift Saranac Series, 14 and 15 ft, high and low volume decks, respond nicely on the water for me. Easy to get a perfect fit with four, actually five choices, snd designed by a master to track and turn without skeg or rudder.

And they are lighter to tote to the beach.

I fit the 170
Comfortably and not the 165. I’m 5’11" long legs 190 lb. size 12 shoe.

6’4" size 15 foot at 185lb and …

– Last Updated: Feb-28-13 7:20 PM EST –

With a 36"+ inseam I have long legs attached to my size 15 feet...

And, I could live with a Tempest 165 barefoot for "workout" paddles (i.e., a couple of hours at a time out and back). Have not really tried it for longer. The later models (post 2010 or so) have the seats further back; the seats on the older ones can be easily repositioned too (requires 2 new holes - easy to do).

Yes, not much foot room in the 165, but these are not barges - they are meant to be snug fitting. The 170 I can paddle with my paddling shoes on comfortably and without repositioning the seat - that feels rather spatious now (but seemed cramped a few years ago when I first sat in it)...

Romany
Among many benefits of the Romany is that there are many around and you can pick-up a used composite Romany for less than a new poly boat.

I’ve played in dozens of boats and few are as much fun as a Romany. I’ve put more different people in my Romany and seen them smile broadly as they get the feel of the boat.

There are better all round boats (e.g. Tempest 165). There are sexier boats (e.g. Nordkapp LV). There are currently more faddish boats (Delphin, Gemini, etc…). But there are few that are as supportive of skills development and ease of handling in an array of sea conditions.

You will not outgrow a Romany. Do not even consider the poly version.

Find a Romany, try it see how it feels to you. If comfortable get one.

Hopefully this thread…
Hopefully this thread and the varying opinions about what would work, what would fit, etc. and how some people say yes to one boat and others say absolutely no to the same boat has convinced you (the OP) as to why butt time is important…

Absolutely.
I’m starting lessons on Sunday, so at least for now I know I will be testing a couple of differen boats, even if they’re not the ones we’ve discussed in this thread.