Are SOT's considered toys

I thought all boats were toys!

– Last Updated: Mar-06-13 7:42 PM EST –

All mine are, including a SOT of the fourteen canoes and kayaks that we have.
If you want one get it.
There are some super fast sleek ones along with the big barges, and the surf ones.

Jack L

Absolutely
If you aren’t making any money from your boat it’s a toy.

(The wind is howling here in the Piedmont, Jack.)

Thanks Jack!
I was just thinking the same thing.

Not much practical purpose for paddling these days.

Unless you count joy as practical.

ditto that
another single blader here…but I think having fun is the answer and uh…what was the question lol…

Who cares what anybody thinks? It’s you who counts…

Had a visit in the Everglades
from a paddler out on a day trip fishing on a SOT…one of those Hobies that are foot pedaled.

He covered 26 miles. I thought “yah sure”. When he left I swore the boat threw a wake.

Not portable but certainly useful for some if they are strong or have a cart to haul in and out.

All our boats are toys…If it gets you out there, why care what anyone else says? It’s your trip!

Yes, they are all toys, but …

– Last Updated: Mar-06-13 6:59 PM EST –

... the rest of the OP's remarks seem to indicate an interest in where they are on the spectrum of efficient function, which really clarifies his use of the word "toy". It sounds like he wishes to avoid something that's heavy and sluggish. Rather than get get too hung up on the terminology, I think people should address the true meaning of the question (or ask for clarification if needed).

There are some truly high-performance SOTs, but they tend not to go by that name (surf skis) and they aren't practical for most people. Some are middle-of-the road but these are usually heavy. Plenty more really ARE low on the performance scale. There's lots of potential for discussion here but not many are going for it (I can't because I don't know many models).

Depends on definition

– Last Updated: Mar-06-13 8:09 PM EST –

A sit-on-top can be very sleek, fast and narrow

http://www.paddlers.co.za/images/btpic-comanche.jpg

http://www.seakayak.co.za/kayak_store/gallery/gallery.asp?ProductCode=PY2038

They can also be very wide barges that float
as some of the fishing platforms represent.
Malibu Stealth 14 Fishing Kayak
http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/bcf/images/215166.jpg

they’re all toys
What about a SOT are you interested in?

SOT doesn’t = light compared to most
solo canoes, unless you’re comparing relatively heavy solo canoes and premium light weight SOTs.

Don’t have much to add
Everyone else here has covered it pretty well. There are SOTs of every kind out there, from heavy, slow recreational barges to lightweight, fast racers. From a few hundred bucks to several thousand.

It depends on you. You say you are an older paddler returning to the sport, but you don’t mention how experienced you are or what kind of paddling you did on your canoe (piddling around, flat water tripping, racing, white water, etc.). So it depends on what you want to do. If you used to paddle a nice, efficient canoe and have plenty of experience, then you will probably be sorely disappointed with a heavy polyethylene bargey SOT. Then again, if you have slowed down and just want to piddle around maybe you’ll like it. Best thing to do is go to a dealer demo and try them all.

many sot
Are not lighter or smaller. A wider surfski could be an option. An epic V8 or v6 and stellars wide ski are pretty easy to paddle first time out.

Ryan L.

Consider solo canoes.
Some are quite light and quite a bit of fun and can be paddled with either a canoe paddle or solo canoe paddle.

I have three solo canoes that weigh 32 lbs or less.

Light Small
I’m an older paddler, 63, and do not in any way consider my SOT and older OK ScupperPor a recreational toy, its a mean green (actually blue & white) fishing machine for the shallow flats in in sunny South Florida.

Now as an older paddler, recntly having open hear surgery, lost a lot of zip in my physical condition I’m looking for lighter options for lifting, loading, and unloading reasons… and there are no SOT kayak options that come close to matching the less than 30 pound weight 's that canoe manufactures have reached in the past 10 years or so, and SOT kayak manufacturers don;t seem to be trying, Stand Up Paddle boards are getting close by basing the basic design on surf board’s

“Toy” can be variously defined
If you mean to ask if a SOT kayak is a legitimate recreational item, then the answer is yes.

If the implication of “toy” is that a SOT kayak is somehow less than a serious device, suitable only for the less sophisticated user, then the answer is heck no.

My Pro Angler 14 is my only fishing boat. It’s a toy in that it is used only for recreation. But it is a truly serious bit of kit with sophisticated engineering, marvelously designed features, with many included extras, and is hell for stout.

Cool.
Glad to be wrong about that.

Tsunami Rangers
Not toys.

FletchDog Rules …

Almost
I’ve heard of a few people commuting to work by kayak.

But I doubt many do, in the U.S. Mostly they are toys, regardless whether open-decked or not.

I know
I will not say it as glamorously as some of those above, but the only thing i feel that can be accurately judged by others is if you show us the SOT in question. Then the true feedback can be given, fast/slow, light/heavy, etc. Every boat is a toy to somebody, every boat is the wrong boat to somebody, what matters is can you handle the boat, can it handle what you want, what are the pluses and minuses to the boat. What are other options. AND do you like the boat…

IMO the only reference to toys should be given to the various bells and whistles that can go on a boat, does a WW paddler need a fish finder? Toy. Does a fisherman? Tool.

You can find a SOT to fit
your purpose. YOu just need to state your purpose more clearly. In your original post you mentioned only short and light. In paddling these are relative terms, but you can find a sit on top that is as short and light as almost any other type of boat except for the lightest carbon pack canoes.

But if you are willing to have a boat that weighs more than 30 pounds, you’ll find a sit on top that meets and needs.

As stated above they are not the best for cold water.

I have a 17 foot by 24 inch one for trips. A 14 foot all arounder for shorter trips, fishing, and sea kayak surfing. A 13 foot one for actual surfing , and a nine footer for whitewater.

Just like you can find canoes and row boats for most any use, you will be able to find a sit on top for anything. Sit on tops excell in surf and whitewater where rowing craft and canoes are beyond their limits.

They also have distinct fishing advantages in shallow water and certain rivers.